Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Woburn info needed.
  • maxtorque

The last couple before the slight gully bit, or the very new last one between the trees after the stream crossing on sticks??

The ones before the gully are fine, in fact, the landings are built WAY too close to the take off for the speed of the trail in summer. Hit them at anything like full speed and you’ll jump to flat and land about 20 feet downstream of the landing ramps!

The new “last” one hasn’t yet had time to bed in, and is a bit “sticky” still, but as it’s quite a step down, is easy to pop over even if you feel you’re going a bit slow…….

deano8
    Free Member

Are we talking about the Squirrel Run?
    If so I realised mid air that it’s grown, must walk runs over first:)

Bagstard
    Free Member

It is a lovely flowing trail with great berms and plenty of speed, but they are built in the style of do or die. Even though you know you will overshoot them, the look of them can mess with your head.

kimbers

So inevitably flight path has now been dismantled and blocked off with notices saying it was naughty and people got hurt.

Grrrr

I’m blaming those YouTube muppets

alric
    Free Member

kimbers – are you serious?
    I was going for my second run on it a couple of days ago when my chain snapped, and it was late, etc

seems to be my luck with good trails. As soon as I find something that looks doable, they make it bigger or destroy it

I only found the back woods trails just before they logged there

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’m back up that way working again tomorrow and Wednesday so will probably go and see if I can lost again tomorrow evening 😆

maxtorque

As i said chaps, when you find a nice line, keep it to yourself (and your direct, local, riding mates) don’t plaster it all over the internet so people who haven’t got a clue go and ride it, crash, end up in A&E, and result in the trail getting torn down………

fancypants
    Free Member

Local rumours are that the video guy is also taking legal action on the basis that there was no signage etc.

Which in turn has led to statements on the bike trail maintenance fb group that officially planned ‘ more adventurous’ stuff has been shelved.

So cheers for that video guys.

The whole trails thing is pretty screwed up tbh. The official trails guys are cliquey, political and divisive, which has led to many long term locals not bothering with them and all the unofficial stuff springing up.

maxtorque

I’m not sure if i believe the rumors, because the guys on the Utube vid rode the trail at least twice before crashing and hurting themselves, in which case i’d suggest “not sufficient signage” is a pretty poor line of defense.

Some of the more hidden trails have always had the bigger features on them, it just that they weren’t ridden by the lycra louts and generally therefore were left to mature on their own. These days, Utube, Strava and people blaming everyone but themselves have a lot to answer for…….

Bagstard
    Free Member

There are other videos of the same guys crashing on jumps at Chicksands, I would hope the legal action rumour was BS, it would be seriously taking the P!Given that the rider ended up in an ambulance it seems likely the site location was compromised. That said, after reading on the Surrey hills thread that forum chat is monitered I feel pretty stupid for linking to youtube.

grahamt1980

Let’s be honest while the first jump was well off the fire road the entrance to the trail was bloody obvious, considering the fire road it was on can anyone be surprised it was found?
    They destroyed loads of trails in that area on a frequent basis. Most above that fireroad admittedly

kimbers

The ruts left on the fire roads by the logging vehicles were bigger than any of the jumps ! 😉

fancypants
    Free Member

from the trails group – explains a few things

Closure and destruction of non sactioned trails –

After a serious accident on a non sactioned trail a non local rider who thought he was on a trail he had ridden with his “club” came off and hurt himself. This was not the trail he had ridden before .

What has this caused ?

Due to the way in which he has decided to pursue the matter and that no signage or warning was at the available to warn that a Jump was present has now caused the “cheeky” trails to be demolished and also other areas deemed dangerous to be also levelled.

This was a non sactioned illegal trail and has put the spot light on all the other old trails that are to be adopted eventually but now will be demolished.

What will happen ?

This area was going to be mapped and added to the new route but this event has now set things back.

Wbt have to consider that
    when constructing a trail line of sight on approach should be factored into the mix and all abilitys catered for .

Some of the area was going to be graded accordingly so as give the rider experience fair warning on the trail – sadly this may not happen now.

The bike park has signage explaining what level of trail you are going to ride so you know what’s coming this did not .

All the current trails have to be made rollable at present due to access for emergency services and red grading standard accident prevention

At no point should a trail run out on to a public right of way with out line of sight or warning to other users .

If you’ve not ridden it before then don’t go chasing the Strava time and ride within your limitations.

This isn’t going to be Thetford and we will eventually be able to cater for the more daring but at present we are still evolving and so have limitations to keep all parties on side

Your paintence and support is appreciated and whilst negative media bursts aren’t helping the cause , just remember this isn’t our land , we are guests of the landowners who have been very tolerable so far .

Small steps will lead to great things – keep the faith

Dom

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I had missed this statement TBH but you have to agree that, whilst unfortunate, there isnt much WBT can do other than what they’ve said above. Stuff is official, stuff is not. Stuff that isnt gets closed off, gets reopened again in the future. As mentioned, if you find something off-piste, keep it to yourself, learn what features it has, ride within your means. Not a catch all by any means, BUT, people get pissy yet suspect theyve not lifted a finger to help keep the area the place it is.

grahamt1980

Kimbers – that explains why the other one off the higher fire road was stuffed too

elliott-20
    Free Member

I remember when we could build stuff and no-one would know it was there (and there are still one or two trails that I doubt no more that a few of us know about). But Woburn has simply got too busy over the past 15 years or so for what it actually is.

Woburn is crap, don’t bother going there, threres’ nothing to see 😉

maxtorque

Are we seriously getting to the point where we need a sign for everything?

I mean, where do we draw the line?

“WATCH OUT, there’s a rock!”

or

“CAUTION, root!”

or

“ATTENTION: Slightly prickly bush!”

etc etc

If you ever meet the guy who is blaming a “lack of signage” for HIS mistake, i suggest you punch him as fast and hard right in the nose, and when he’s picked himself up off the floor and stemmed the bleeding and asks “why did you do that?” simply explain “Well, there was no sign saying “Please don’t punch me in the face”………. 😆

oldnpastit

That is pretty sad.

If you ever meet the guy who is blaming a “lack of signage” for HIS mistake, i suggest you punch him fast and hard right in the nose

Seems like good advice.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I didn’t end up going tonight as I was a bit worried there could be some unsignposted wet roots I could have hurt myself on 😆

I actually finished what i was doing a bit late and due to the weather decided that steak and a pint in the hotel was more appealing 😳 I’m glad we don’t have these sort of issues on my local trails, can nobody take responsibility for their own actions these days 🙄

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Woburn info needed.’ is closed to new replies.