• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bubs.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wobbly dropper seatpost
  • bubs

I have just purchased a cheap seat post from ebay to see what this up and downy seat post thing is all about. If I had read more reviews I probably wouldn’t have bought a Joplin 3 but I wanted to keep things cheap in case they are not for me.
    It goes up and down and looks very “enduro” on my bike but it has a lot of side to side play. I have taken it apart and checked the guide block etc which all look good. So is this play normal on Joplin’s? Do other posts have a similar feature? What other non-wobbly posts have 2cm+ of offset?
    Thanks

wwaswas

I have a Joplin 4, a new bushing set for £10 made it have less side to side movement than either my KS Lev or Reverb.

binners

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’ll fall apart completely within a couple of weeks

bubs

Close – 15 minutes into the first ride with them and a clumsy landing resulted in me putting weight on the back of the seat which then put too much pressure on the seat rail clamps. These clamps appear to be made of cheese and therefore (looking for a technical word) unfolded which meant that the seat fell off backwards and I narrowly avoided rectal trauma. Luckily the twin piston design of my buttocks meant that I could use these on the nobly back tyre to come to a controlled stop. I am now looking forward to the ebay seller conversation and the tracking down of replacement parts for an old seat post (the distributer has recently changed). It did look gnar for those first 15 minutes though (apart from the side to side wobble).

wwaswas

I’ve got a Joplin 4 with remote and new bushes you can have for £80 and avoid all the ebay/distributer trauma. Email in profile…

thepurist

Luckily the twin piston design of my buttocks meant that I could use these on the nobly back tyre to come to a controlled stop

Just be glad you didn’t deploy the extra 2 front pistons…

nickc

Aren’t Joplins made by Crank Bros?

Says it all really

epicyclo

bubs – Member
    …the seat fell off backwards and I narrowly avoided rectal trauma. Luckily the twin piston design of my buttocks meant that I could use these on the nobly back tyre to come to a controlled stop…

Wins the STW quote of the year award 🙂

bubs

@wwaswas – once battered twice shy and so I don’t think I will be investing in another Joplin but thanks for the offer.

v666ern
    Free Member

who did yo buy it from must have been S/H? Hence what conversation are you going to have?

Just buy a new reverb and move on, my joplin4 cost £40 from the bay so im assuming you didnt pay more…

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve had plenty of trouble with Joplin’s in the past but never with the clamp. I actually found the opposite, where I couldnt get the clamp to move when I tried to adjust my saddle!

Have a Thomson now and it’s in a different league to the Joplin

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

You can get an original (as opposed to Blacklite) Specialized Command Post for under £100 if you look around here, Pinkbike, eBay, etc. Mine has negligible side-to-side play and seems to operate nicely enough. Easy to DIY service as well due to being mechanical.

bubs

Bontrager single bolt clamps should fit the Joplin (according to a US forum) and are bound to be stronger/better/work compared to the Crank Bro originals. Anyone tried this as I don’t really want to experience another fail.

stuinoz
    Free Member

I’ve just had the same problem with splayed saddle rail clamps on a Maverick Speedball dropper (predecessor to the joplin and uses same clamps). I found the website below which sells replacements for a few quid each. Only ordered yesterday so they haven’t arrived as yet, had a confirmation email saying they could take 10 days as they order them in rather than keep stock. There’s no pics on the site, but you can check the part numbers to make sure you’re ordering the right bit.

http://activesport.co/epages/80c85f8f-7a95-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80c85f8f-7a95-4b1c-9c30-e64b314f3f2e/Products/CRB-10352&ViewAction=ViewProduct

You can also get them from some of the continental online bike shops too.

Hope this helps.

bubs

stuinoz – thanks for that. I will check out the continental online retailers as I have experienced activesport / Mark Anthony bikes before. Splayed was the word I was looking for earlier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly dropper seatpost’ is closed to new replies.