Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wobbly cassette.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Is it normal?

Thought I’d re-grease my axles today and when I put the cassette back on the freewheel body I noticed it had a slight but definite wobble, about 1mm or so.

andyl
    Free Member

Shouldn’t move a bit in relation to the freewheel or you will get serious fretting.

jimw
    Free Member

What hub is it? is the cassette wobble relative to the free hub body, or the free hub wobbling relative to the hub?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah perfectly normal assuming you have cup / cone hubs with a sealed freewheel (most likely shimano / formula / joytech) . All my shimano free hubs have the wobble to some extent. No axial wobble – that’s bad. The tolerance on the freehub bearings (if loose ball) is pretty wide. If the freehub bearings are really worn then the wobble can be really bad and cause ghost shifting and result in a very noisy drivetrain.

My hope pro 2 hubs however use cartridge bearings and cassette does not wobble a bit.

ticsmon

My Easton hubs started to wobble and it was down to the bearings in the free hub body so I changed them and now it doesn’t. Probably the same with yours. I’d check them out anyway

jambourgie
    Free Member

jimw – Member
    What hub is it? is the cassette wobble relative to the free hub body, or the free hub wobbling relative to the hub?

No idea what brand it is. The cassette wobble is relative to the freehub body. The axle and freehub are solid, almost like there should be a spacer or something at the bottom.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

So you are talking axial wobble…. As in movement along the axis of the axle? Lockring nice and tight (40 Nm torque required for shimano lockrings).

New 11 speed freehubs need a spacer under Lockring to run 9/10 speed cassettes as they are narrower.

Still a bit lost as to the wobble you are describing.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Sorry.

Here’s a highly technical drawing. Qualified engineers only past this point!

Tbh, If the wobble is not normal then I must have forgot to put back a spacer. I’ll have a look in my bikebitsbox.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I’ve had the same wobble and decided it wasn’t right.Seemed to effect positive shifting.

My solution was a layer of tin foil around the freehub.
    Form it into the grooves and extend the foil above the freehub so you can drop the cassette over without snagging the foil.

Experiment to get the right fit and it works a treat.
    Forming the foil into each groove is important so it doesn’t tear when you slide the cassette on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Keep the foil for your Hat, unless your freehub body is undersized.

Get a spacer.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I found a spacer I’d forgot to put back on. Farce over. Thanks anyway 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

I like the look of that 5 speed cassette where can I get one it looks like the ideal mix between my singlespeed and my geared bike.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You can buy my blueprint. Shall we say $10000000 MWAHAHAHAH

*paypal gift

andyl
    Free Member

The problem is you’ve missed off about 1/3rd of the sprockets according to your diagram 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly cassette.’ is closed to new replies.