• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by baa.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wo is me
  • harvik
    Free Member

Broke my collarbone this morning in a crash on the way to work. Need a new bike for less than £350 or thereabouts from Halfords (insurance replacement).

Any recommendations. They are giving me a voucher but they should be able to order something in I think. Anyone know better?

H

SeanOrange
    Free Member

Unlucky! I take it you were riding your bike? If so, was the crash your fault and, if not, will you be making a claim against the driver?
    How about putting the voucher to your payout and get a very nice bike?

harvik
    Free Member

Yep, on my road bike. I wouldn’t say it was anyone’s fault and probably won’t be making a claim. The car turned across the lane of traffic and clearly didn’t see me as the vehicle letting him out was a van and was therefore blocking his vision up the road, but then I didn’t see him for the same reason and was riding up the inside because the traffic was stationary at a set of traffic lights. I wasn’t going fast but didn’t have the time or space to stop in time. Just one of those things. Yes it could have been avoided but then the same situation happens every day at every set of lights in every town and city across the country.

That leaves me with using 350 quid to replace my old road bike (GT Edge, probably 10+ years old) so any ideas gratefully received.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So you collided with him when he pulled-out across a give-way/stop while his view was obscured? Does it matter that you were overtaking stationary traffic at the time? It’s tricky for drivers because the nose pokes into the traffic when you cant really see what it might be blocking. But it sounds like his fault for chanceing it IMO.

thefettler
    Free Member

tuff break(sorry)
    take the driver to the cleaners
    it’s a dog eat dog world!

baa
    Free Member

Halfords will get any bike you wont in. I got my Cotic Roadrat from Halfords through the cycle to work scheme. I broke my collarbone in French Alps and the doctor and instead of a sling, they gave a harness, that pulled my shoulders back which meant I could use both arms and I recovered quicker, it’s like a backpack without back part. I think you can get off the net.
    Get well soon

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Get legal advice. From what I understand you would have a claim – he is at fault but you might have any award reduced for contributory negligence.

A mate of mine had a similar crash on a motorcycle and successfully claimed. Only bruising to him but he got enough to replace his bike plus more.

The car turning across a lane of traffic has an obligation to ensure the road is clear even if waved across.

baa
    Free Member

This is the strap http://www.physioroom.com/catalog/Collar_Bone_Supports/3071.html

Well worth getting, when I got back from Fance I went to A&E.
    I drove there the doctor at A&E removed the strap said we don’t use these in this country and gave a 50p sling, which I put in the bin and put my collarone strap back on so I could drive home. with the strap apart from riding I could carry on as normal

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wo is me’ is closed to new replies.