Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • wmb trail bike of the year…
  • chiefgrooveguru

A magazines sole job is to sell stuff.It’s not a hard concept to grasp shirley?

Except that it isn’t. You could argue that it’s sole purpose is to make money, through sales of magazines and advertising space but then again, if all you wanted to do was make money you wouldn’t run a magazine company!

Stevet1
    Free Member

I saw a chap riding one of those forward geometry mondrakers. He was really struggling to tackle any sized jumps on it, looked very awkward.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A magazines sole job is to sell stuff.It’s not a hard concept to grasp shirley?

A catalogue is for selling stuff, a magazine is not.

br
    Free Member

I saw a chap riding one of those forward geometry mondrakers. He was really struggling to tackle any sized jumps on it, looked very awkward.

He can’t have got his head around it, or just not skilled. One of our guys borrowed one a few weeks ago and he reckoned it was really good, plus he was bloody quick on it (although to be fair he’s quick on anything) – in the end though he’s bought the Canyon that came 3rd.

Another of our group has had the Cube (that came 2nd) for a while now; I rode it at Innerleithen and was very impressed – just jumped on it and it worked.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a magazine exists to sell itself (and iform and all that other stuff but if it doesn’t sell it’s in trouble)
    it can boost it’s revenue (less sales required) from advertising but still needs circulation
    the fine line comes with keeping advertising and being honest

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, these mondrakers then, is the saddle rails/layback post/bar sweep the only adjustment available?, or do people fit stems to them?.

iolo
    Free Member

The best bike today with the best forks, wheels, drivetrain etc will be not so good in 2 years time when a “better” head angle, fork, wheelsize, whatever.
    In reality it makes no difference whatsoever. People just go with what the bike industry tell them.
    I’ve got a 2006 Sworks Enduro with Fox 36RC2.
    How does this compare ride wise with these 2014 bikes? Not so different I’d imagine.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a couple of FG Mondrakers – they do take some getting used to, but once you have got a handle on how they respond, they are bloody fast and stable bikes.

I can well believe that while there are spec compromises on the tested model, the geometry and stability that comes from the frame and FG layout would make it feel better than the others.

No, I don’t work for Mondraker or Silverfish.

dh
    Free Member

I was all set on a kona process dl, now i’m not so sure.

Sure I read it had won a test in a magazine previous – obviously not WMB though.

ChrisL

Northwind – Member

I think whotsisname, Jon Whitehouse is it? His article earlier in the mag showed a bit of kool-aid drinking…

I’m OK with an opinion piece expressing the opinion that 650b is great and the way of the future. However I was a bit put out that he decided to portray those who are as yet unconvinced as a bunch of Internet crackpots and conspiracy theorists. It does not say much about the strength of an argument if you feel the need to belittle and misrepresent its counterarguments.

There’s still a couple of oddities, like the Kona- “We think another bike in their range is better”. TEST THAT ONE THEN.

I’m never very sure how this sort of thing works. Do mags request specific bikes from specific companies or do they send out a general “we’re doing a trail bike review, please send bikes” request and test what they’re given?

hora
    Free Member

In this months WMB – how many ads were Fox?

Same goes for recent issues. I wonder.

philfive
    Free Member

Another interesting point and completely off topic.

Somebody mentioned the mind taker forward geo and that he watched a guy struggle over jumps on it.

Are trail/enduro/all mountain/over mountain MTB’s designed for jumps, trail centre or more for natural, rocky drops, rock gardens etc?

D0NK

What fiasco was this, I seem to have missed this?

I was wondering that too. Seem to recall one of the mags saying a c456 was too flexy but too stiff in the same sentence. (dunno maybe it was laterally compliant yet vertically stiff or something)

did planet X/OO stop advertising and consequently get panned in all tests aswell? or something like that?

Are trail/enduro/all mountain/over mountain MTB’s designed for jumps, trail centre or more for natural, rocky drops, rock gardens etc?

it’s an offroad bike, I think it’s designed for riding off road. I fail to see a difference between man made or “natural” trails from a bike design perspective (unless it’s a BMX track)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It depends what you call natural or trail centre, some of the best bits on man made trails replicate great natural riding. Some of the natural trials are that are rebuilt/maintained look more like trail centres.

A good trail bike should be capable through most of that stuff really. Some of the vids/pics of the EWS stuff looks like a well rounded mix of natural alpine/mountain and some man made stuff.

hora
    Free Member

I wonder how many ads SRAM products now run & feature in WMB etc.

andyrm
    Free Member

Somebody mentioned the mind taker forward geo and that he watched a guy struggle over jumps on it.

The new wave of Enduro bikes tend to be at least partly developed by pro riders on the EWS circuit to help them do well. As a result, you have a hugely capable bike that responds best to someone of that calibre, hitting things at the speed they do. Slower or less confident/committed and you might find it feels wierd – or maybe the guy was just having an off day.

hora
    Free Member

That review on the first page. How can you mark a bike so highly if the fork is ‘crap’.

Surely the overall experience would be sub-par – ‘traction’ as the reviewer puts it would be marred?

TomZesty
    Free Member

The pricing also made many of the comments ridiculous. The top 650b bikes all cost closer to £3000 and the top 29ers cost closer to £2000. For a fair test the price needs to be similar. For example, the complaints against the camber Evo (apparently needs a longer fork to rectify the dreaded ha problem) and the t129 (flexy wheels) could easily rectified with an extra £500 to £1000. I’m sure it was a case of justifying what they had already decided.

razorrazoo

I would assume it would be awarded on a performance vs value type equation. Based on this it appears this point is somewhere around £2.5 – £3K, though the many bikes in this price point have the ‘disappointing’ Fox Evo forks which seemingly has an adverse effect on the performance of all of these bikes bar the Mondraker.

ChrisL

hora – Member
    That review on the first page. How can you mark a bike so highly if the fork is ‘crap’.

Surely the overall experience would be sub-par – ‘traction’ as the reviewer puts it would be marred?

Actually that’s only half a review on the first page. The first page of the review spends quite a lot of time saying “we expected this to be crap, but it took us completely by surprise”.

In fact, WMB are obviously so aware that giving the gong to the Mondraker would wind people up that they have a separate article in the magazine describing the debates that produced the result. One significant quote from that is that: “…the bike that wins takes a pile of less-than-optimal parts” and simply transcends them.”

Mind you, I doubt that WMB are particularly upset about all the discussion and publicity for them that this “shock” result has produced. 🙂 If the Cube or Canyon won then there’d have been a few sniffs about how reviews are obviously pointless when you can compare specs online but that’d be about it.

whiskykai
    Free Member

I was all set on a kona process dl, now i’m not so sure.

Sure I read it had won a test in a magazine previous – obviously not WMB though.

Well I have the Process 134 DL and it is a cracking machine.

The two issues WMB had were weight and the head angle. Well I’d agree that it is undeniably on the heavy side, but equally it climbs very well (including techy and steep stuff) and I can live with it as I’ll upgrade lighter parts as and when they’re needed. (Although a ‘spare’ light wheelset is probably first on the cards.)

The head angle comment is an odd one though. It is at 68 degrees which while it isn’t fashionably slack it is a good option to allow the bike to cover various bases. I’ve taken it down some steep and technical stuff and it has handled itself very well indeed. And, as said before, it seems that 68 degrees on a more fashionable Santa Cruz 5010 isn’t an issue whereas it is here!?

If you’re interested in the bike then I’d look at some of the other reviews as they seem to be a bit more balanced and at least match my experience of the bike so far. As I said, it is a great bike.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘wmb trail bike of the year…’ is closed to new replies.