• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by fadda.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • With what should I replace my Alhambra?
  • fadda

I have a ’06 plate Alhambra, bought specifically to use as a bike “van”. It’s been fantastic – drives like a car and the bikes wheel in with only a drop of the saddle required, and this is easy because the seats are very easy to remove/replace as required.

But its getting tired, with 107k miles and needs replacing. But with what?

I want broadly the same thing, as I use it as a car too, so a van’s no good. Especially as I cross the Severn bridge everyday, so the premium for a van is prohibitive.

Needs to be easy to convert from car to “van”, be comfy for longish journeys and reliable.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

T1000
    Free Member

New shape Alhambra ? They are v comfortable

grumpysculler
    Free Member

We have a newer (11 plate) alhambra. It’s mainly to cart our kids around in, but it’s a very good car and with the seats down it can swallow huge loads.

Something like an S-max might not have the height you need, but they are plentiful and could probably be picked up cheaper than the Seat. There’s the Galaxy I suppose.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fadda

Thanks, both. Problem with later Galaxys is that the seats don’t come out (which seems like a backward step, to me).

And you’re right, the S-max isn’t high enough inside.

The newer shape Alhambra looks like it may be the same, but I haven’t actually looked at one yet.

Obviously, I’ll be trying some out, but anyone had good experiences with anything else similar?

finishthat
    Free Member

Keep it – an 06 with 107k should still be maintainable and a refresh should make it good till 150k unless its been abused.
    Refresh – replace the shocks all round – make sure the tyres are decent.
    Proper service -all fluids – brake/gearbox/antifreeze .
    A valet – then you have something that you know and works well.

stox
    Free Member

Thanks, both. Problem with later Galaxys is that the seats don’t come out (which seems like a backward step, to me).

They all (easily) fold flat so still straight forward to get a bike in ..?
    plus you don’t have the hassle of carting heavy seats around and storing them…

hora
    Free Member

Define tired. Bushes/droplinks suspension refresh allround will transform

Unless you mean the engine/gearbox

footflaps

Kia Carens? We had one for a while, really nice to drive.

matt_outandabout

The new galaxy seats in the boot fold flat – much better than old shape.

I also undid the four bolts and removed them for holiday, as the extra three inches depth was worth it.

dannybgoode

C4 Picasso-old or new shape but particularly with the old shape you get an awful lot of car for your money (note I’ve just bought one and is bloody brilliant).

fadda

Seats folding flat still doesn’t allow bikes to be wheeled in, though.

Tired means that, alongside bushes etc, it has some electrical problems such as the failed bulb warning being triggered every time it’s started, although all lights work, and after the latest service, I can no longer reset the service warning manually. Not massive problems, but signs of impending expense…

Not completely averse to tidying and keeping it, though, but it feels a bit of a gamble…

cookeaa

Another vote for the C4 Picasso here, really liking ours.

DickBarton

Another Alhambra?

northernmatt

the extra three inches depth was worth it.

Oo-er missus!

Can you not get something like a Dispatch Combi or Transit Tourneo, effectively a van with an extra row of seats and a boot big enough to swallow the bikes without the faff of removing anything. No idea but I’d also assume it’d be classed as a car on the bridge.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I’ve a T5 shuttle which is classed as a car but from what you’ve said I’d recommend spending on yours and keeping. Always likely to be way cheaper than new but failing that get another alhambra. Larger French cars always worry me in terms of electrical faults so I couldn’t recommend unless you won’t be keeping over 5 yrs old it’s a company car.

fadda

All very helpful, thank you all. I’m more inclined to keep it and sort a few things out now, because it has been brilliant.

It may have been shiny new toy syndrome!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘With what should I replace my Alhambra?’ is closed to new replies.