Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • With hindsight, would you…?
  • chugg08

I very much regret following the career ‘advice’ from the so called expert at school

+1

I wanted to be a marine biologist. My “Career Advisor” told me not to worry about choosing Biology as a core subject at school as it’s covered at Uni.

Guess what? I’m not a marine biologist.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ahh… Careers Advisors, my meeting with the one at our school lasted 5 minutes and ended with her saying ‘You know more than me about what you want to do, so go for it’

She also told my mate that there was no way he was going to attain grades good enough at A-level (based upon his GCSE results) to ever be a doctor. He’s now a cardiologist.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

You live and learn.

People need to be content in life and accept that there will only be moments of happiness, some long, some short. Being content is far more important. Taken me about 12 years to learn this.

I’ve had jobs that have had no possibility for progression so when I couldn’t structure a career I tended to buy stuff every week to reward myself for going to work. Weekly cycle of boredom. Living for the weekend.

Then had a near death experience, a fairly long stay in hospital. Cried when I came home and watched the finches we have preening each other. Amazing what I was blind to when rewarding myself with bike bits, car bits, gadgets and other shit that soon becomes obsolete.

Now I’m content to be able to walk my dogs, shred some stoke and don’t pay too much attention to the things society used to make me feel like I should be doing. No point in worrying about what might happen.

etc

I like this a lot.

bencooper
    Free Member

14 years ago, I walked away from a very high-flying graduate job to start a bike business. I could have been very well paid by now, I could have had a fancy car and a big house, and lots of disposable income.

But I wouldn’t have been me.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘With hindsight, would you…?’ is closed to new replies.