Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • With a great bike comes great responsibility
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Which you don’t achieve by barging past my ten year old daughter whilst on a cycle path, spinning frantically on your CTW Tarmac and wearing Lidl Hi Viz.

Get on the road and get some style you ****.

Just saying…

pedlad

😀

Agree with the sentiments

TiRed

Had the same at Swinley. You don’t go to shred the gnarr on a Tuesday afternoon mid-Summer holidays.

As I said “you had ample opportunity to pass us on the uphill climb”. But ample was the problem.

And to the three much better kitted riders who sat patiently behind, offering encouragement to my nephew – thanks. That’s how you get new riders into the sport 😀

ndthornton
    Free Member

Straaaaaaaaaaava

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ndthornton – Member
    StraaaaaaaaaaavaArsehole

FIFY

bikebouy
    Free Member

With Brompton’s on CSH’s heading to Waterloo comes lack of social awareness 😆

jodafett

I once met an idiot on a TT bike dressed in full aero gear on a busy city centre “shared use” path at 4pm midweek. Loads of people heading home from work, me out with my wobbly 4year old on his new bike. The guy was tanking towards us until I had an “accidental wobbly” towards him. Never seen a man shit himself so much in a while. 😈

dpfr

Sadly, you only have to think about a dick like that driving a motor vehcle and the origins of so many threads on this forum become very clear.

On two wheels or four, once a dick, always a dick

takisawa2

Stopped off in Brighton for a day or two on way home from France. Took the family along the sea front bike path one afternoon & saw some right twonks hammering it along at 20mph+..

xcretro
    Free Member

I both agree and disagree, whilst I mostly try and slow down or make ample room when passing other cyclists or pedestrians It irks me when there are speed limit comments from those users along with others just because I am a fast rider.

why should you have to use cycle paths at different times of the day because there are slower users using them? and is there any actual speed limits on these cycle paths? tow paths, shared use paths, bridleways, byways etc.

just saying like..

rOcKeTdOg

You don’t go to shred the gnarr on a Tuesday afternoon mid-Summer holidays.

Are the trails exclusively for children & their parents in the summer? Seems a bit wrong not to teach your offspring not to share

dpfr

It’s about speed appropriate for the conditions, whether that’s weather, other users of the path/road or anything else, and it applies to bikes as much as motor vehicles.

neilwheel
    Free Member

It is a shared space for sharing.

whilst I mostly try and slow down or make ample room when passing other cyclists or pedestrians

That’s behaving like a prick driving their hot hatch badly.

xcretro
    Free Member

Are the trails exclusively for children & their parents in the summer? Seems a bit wrong not to teach your offspring not to share

young kids are not aware of their surroundings and…..This sort of thing happens……

kid vs mountain biker

ThePinkster

So what time would you recommend they ride?

Personally I’d have thought afternoon midweek would be the best time as the trails will be packed at weekends.

Or is it a case of having to plan your whole life around everyone’s else’s kids? Just because there are school holidays it doesn’t mean the rest of the world stops for it.

neilwheel
    Free Member

young kids are not aware of their surroundings and…..This sort of thing happens……

Completely the parents fault in that video and lucky too.

It’s not the same as a kid using the trails to learn bike skills.

dpfr

Just because there are school holidays it doesn’t mean the rest of the world stops for it.

Agree, but the school holidays will change things whether you like it or not. Just as you wouldn’t expect to have a traffic free run down the M5 to the West Country on a Friday afternoon in high summer, so you wouldn’t expect a trail centre to be deserted on a summer holiday afternoon either.

yunki
    Free Member

Shit man… Can I take this opportunity to point out that I’m a nasty **** **** and if I meet any of the silly little boys on this thread claiming that it’s their right to act irresponsibly around kids, and if we should happen to get into a confrontation on this subject whilst out on the trails I will gleefully and without any fear of recrimination, lose my **** shit in a very violent manner… 🙂
    /keyboard warrior

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Shit man… Can I take this opportunity to point out that I’m a nasty **** **** and if I meet any of the silly little boys on this thread claiming that it’s their right to act irresponsibly around kids, and if we should happen to get into a confrontation on this subject whilst out on the trails I will gleefully and without any fear of recrimination, lose my **** shit in a very violent manner…
    /keyboard warrior

You’ll shit your pants in a violent manner?

yunki
    Free Member

predictable, but I would have commented exactly the same thing.. 😀

you can has a big kiss

fervouredimage
    Free Member

predictable, but I would have commented exactly the same thing..

Of course you would… Much love.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just saying…

Did you just say when it happened?

Nothing wrong with a rant on here, but hopefully you also called them out at the time.

rOcKeTdOg

unki – Member
    Shit man… Can I take this opportunity to point out that I’m a nasty **** **** and if I meet any of the silly little boys on this thread claiming that it’s their right to act irresponsibly around kids, and if we should happen to get into a confrontation on this subject whilst out on the trails I will gleefully and without any fear of recrimination, lose my **** shit in a very violent manner…

I bet in addition to stringing your kids across the path you have a dog on an extendable lead which you claim means it’s “under control” like the irresponsible owner did the other day even though she was one side of the canal bridge & the dog, out of sight from her was the other

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure what your reply has to do with my post there RD..?

Too many ales on your tow path bimble this arvo? 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Completely the parents fault in that video and lucky too

Probably could have been watching him a bit closer for sure

Although, the cyclist had a bit of target fixation going on and generally started heading in the same direction as the kid was running

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Although, the cyclist had a bit of target fixation going on and generally started heading in the same direction as the kid was running

Didn’t hear much braking action going on either.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

You don’t go to shred the gnarr on a Tuesday afternoon mid-Summer holidays

Err… you don’t?

wilburt
    Free Member

Just saying…
    Did you just say when it happened?

Nothing wrong with a rant on here, but hopefully you also called them out at the time.

Nope, he didn’t make contact so maybe barged wasn’t the right word and it wasn’t worth chasing anyone for, the cycle path is well used and some of the blokes do try a bit too hard whilst also being a bit crap.

TBH my point was more about him just being a poor example of a cyclist combining bad manners and no style.

I wouldn’t however be surprised if I meet him again hopefully on the road and we may see if his cycle path training has paid off.

kimbers

Swinley is a special case

To access the red, you HAVE to ride the blue

The green is only 1km long so my 3 year old on his balance bike is bored of it by lunch time

They desperately need an intermediate trail of some sort or different access to the red. Or these type of incidents are innevitible

Swinley is also in the middle of bracknell and attracts a very large amount of families even outside of school holidays, before you start riding you’ll notice the hundreds of cars families etc in the car park and play area especially on a sunny school holiday afternoon

Its not like glentress where even on busy days you can see hardly anyone on the red or even blue trails

The only time you could hammer round the blue at swinley without endangering others is very early in the morning or on a night ride

And I’m with yunki on the keyboard ‘ardmen

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Didn’t hear much braking action going on either.

Yes, I heard he actually wanted to kill the child.

Parents fault 100% in that video, poor example for this thread.

downgrade
    Free Member

Hey OP can you post up what the “style” rules are please? If Lidl hi vis isn’t cool what should I wear/how much should I spend?

dudeofdoom

+1 on sensible speed for conditions.

I don’t really get phazzed by people doing stupid things but bad mannered cycling does irk me.

I do treat kids dogs and path hoggers as a low speed technical sections …. More bike control required -str8line speeds simples.

DT78
    Free Member

In the vid it think the chap was actually in the air for a bit so couldn’t brake….very very lucky.

I have on several occasions come across small children and random zig zagging dogs on trail centres. I have yet to actually make contact with any, but been super close with a couple of trail hounds. Mountain biking is a hazardous sport, by taking your sprogs or animals to trail centres you are putting them at risk. Risk of falling off and hurting themselves, or worse risk of being involved in a collision hurting themselves and others. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

I think parents have more of a responsibility than those of us who just turn up and ride…I found 2 young kids lost in swinley a couple of weeks ago. Both under 10 and let loose to ride round the blue. Found their fat elderly grand parents sat on the benches at the start.

I am surprised we don’t hear (or see like that vid) more incidents especially as trails get more popular and busy.

rOcKeTdOg

Too many ales on your tow path bimble this arvo?

There is no such thing as ” too many”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain – Member

You don’t go to shred the gnarr on a Tuesday afternoon mid-Summer holidays

Err… you don’t?[/quote]

You didn’t get the updated shredding calendar? It’s all in there searchable by time slot and location.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘With a great bike comes great responsibility’ is closed to new replies.