Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Wisdom teeth out tommorow…
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Will I die…?

johndoh
    Free Member

No, but have your fave pizza tonight – you’ll be gagging for one soon after posting soft food through your malfunctioning jaw for a few weeks 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

I had mine out a couple of months ago, one one week and the other the next. By the time I was in for the second one out, I was pretty much recovered from the first one, and I was only off food for a day if that, just had to be careful chewing.

So yes, you will die, but probably not from having your wisdom teeth out.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

i have had all 4 out 2 of mine were very painfull afterwards and the other 2 i could eat a normal meal a few hours after. Don’t worry about the worst. Mouth’s heal amazingly quick.

johndoh
    Free Member

Btw – I had all four out at once, all were compacted and had to have jaw dislocated. Had two nights on hospital, a week off work and probably 2 weeks till I could eat anything like properly.

project
    Free Member

Have some ice cream after it works well and doesnt cause any pain strangely as the teeth nerves are severed.

Oh and it hurts after the anasthetic wears off, and wrap a bin bag over the pillow and under the oppillowcase as you may well bleed quite heavily overnight, i did, and my mum was terrified when she saw all the blood next day.I hadnt told her i was going to the dentist.

jes
    Free Member

When I saw the x-ray I knew it wasn’t good news, unfortunatley all four had decided to grow horizontally, with the roots pointing back towards my ears 🙂
    Surgery required to get the badgers out, all good after a couple of weeks 🙂

solarpowered
    Free Member

You’re going to be fine! I promise! You will actually feel much better for it once your mouth has settled! It does take time , theres no getting by that and of course it aches bit after but you’ll be able to handle that no probs I’m sure!
    Good luck (not that you.need it !) 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Grow horizontally

Yeah, that’s ‘compacted’ like mine were.

Just don’t watch Jacob’s Ladder whilst on the horse-strength co-codomol like I did 😯

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Was not informed on odds of dying when I had them done a few weeks ago. I do remember a dentist telling me about a patient of his who had a general anaesthetic and never came to again… so as long as you’re not going under I don’t imagine you’re at much risk.

After experiencing fairly traumatic extractions as a teenager, I opted for conscious sedation – was great, don’t really remember much about having my teeth removed. The initial injection was worse than any other part of the procedure – though I was too zonked out to remember to put the ice pack on my jaw and it swelled up quite a bit. (I would recommend following the advice on taking painkillers, as didn’t really experience much discomfort at all afterwards.)

stevio

mine were fine, but my o/h (before she was my o/h) got a bad infection, and had to be admitted as an emergency after dallying for a day or two about it -another 24hrs and i’d probably be still single … if you have any complications go straight back!!!

backinireland
    Free Member

If not having general anaesthetic take a couple ibuprofen before you go in.
    Ibuprofen or Voltarol pain relief after
    Some evidence that arnica may help

Your dentist should help with advice.

All depends how badly impacted they are and whether top or bottom, top ones are often very simple to extract.

backinireland
    Free Member

Grow horizontally

Yeah, that’s ‘compacted’ like mine were.

Just don’t watch Jacob’s Ladder whilst on the horse-strength co-codomol like I did

IMPACTED not compacted lol

giant_scum
    Free Member

Had 2 out at once, not the worst procedure I’ve had done, but then again I have had the full Picolax experience! I had it done with the novcaine pain relief.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Had two out the weeks ago today. Top & bottom on the left side.

Local anaesthetic only, in & out in less than 10 mins.

Taken out at 4pm, no pain until about 9pm. Didn’t eat that night or breakfast/lunch the following day but after that was eating normaly really.

As said above, there was quite a bit of blood the first night but not too bad.

Top hole healed in a few days, bottom still hasn’t quite closed but not using it as a squirel pouch
    anymore.

All I’m all not anywhere near as bad as an experience as I thought it would be. Good luck

chris_db
    Free Member

When I went for my one wisdom removal the consultant asked me if I wanted a general. Then he said “no” wasn’t a sensible answer!!!

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Tooth fairy?

user-removed
    Free Member

…all four had decided to grow horizontally

Yup – same here. But I stuck my head in the sand and pretended it wasn’t happening. Cancelled my appointment and 29 years later, no problems at all.

Not a course of action I’d recommend but it worked for me 😀

andyl
    Free Member

“will i die?”

I nearly did. Then the missus nearly did (not having her teeth out but because of me having mine out).

I had all 4 out in one go so got put under GA. Went in first thing in the morning. Couldnt stand up until early evening and just about got home in a daze. Bad reaction to the GA and then also to the antibiotic they gave me. Few days later I was still out of it for some reason I was in bed wearing lots of clothes thinking I was freezing and I was gripping her so tightly trying to get warm she couldn’t breath and had to fight me off. I now avoid that antibiotic.

Was worth it though. Been so much healthier since having them out.

bwaarp
    Free Member

This makes me glad I went to an American style orthodontist and ended up with a lantern jaw.

No impacted wisdom teeth for me….buohahahaharrrrrrrrrr…..although I’m sure it’s **** up my nasal passageway.

phead
    Free Member

Depends how impacted they are. I only had 2, and both came out in about 30 seconds.

Biggest problem was that he dropped the second one…..”Don’t swallow”

anjs
    Free Member

I had a numb side of the face for 6 months after I had mine out due to nerve damage

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had mine out with a lot of my other teeth all at once. They chuck some dentures on the top of your bleeding gums and send you home. A week later I was eating barbecued steak.
    Having my shitty teeth ripped out was the best decision I ever made.

backinireland
    Free Member

Is he alive???

jonny-m
    Free Member

Just…. Thanks for asking.! 3 of them out and a few stitches here and there to hold my gums together.was a pretty tough job getting them out apparently.
    Feeling pretty sorry for myself as its sarting to hurt now but gona milk a few days of work and have a nice rest, reading Singletrack mags and re watching the MTB olympics!

freeagent
    Free Member

had all 4 out in one go under GA (were compacted and each one had to be sawn up to get it out)
    was about 19 years ago, and well worth it.

JoeG
    Free Member

Had mine out over 20 years ago. All 4 removed at once under general anesthetic, 2 were impacted IIRC.

I was probably the most miserable that I have ever been afterward. Swelling was terrible; so swollen that my jaw couldn’t be in its “normal” rest position, so the muscles ached. The stitches in my mouth felt like they were made of heavy rope. They were so annoying that I removed them myself the next day with needle nosed pliers! (Yes, I’m a model patient). That did not make my mom real happy; she called the dental surgeon in a real panic! But, I survived. I had bruising on my neck for at least 3 weeks afterward.

Glad its only a one time thing!!!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Must resist….must not laugh…..

this is why the yanks think we have shit teeth isn’t it. Instead of sorting the real problem out (the jaw being too small for the teeth, so the obvious treatment being increasing the size of the jaw) – we just rip kid’s teeth out.

JoeG
    Free Member

bwaarp – I’m ‘merican! 8)

Now I gotta go to bed.

Taff
    Free Member

My mrs had all four out about 6 monts ago and was in work the next day as normal. No one is sure how, she should’ve been in pain!

johndoh
    Free Member

Must resist….must not laugh…..

Especially if you have just had your wisdom teeth out. It hurts. For some reason I kept having fits of giggles afterwards (perhaps it was the drugs?) And it bloody hurt.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have a couple of impacted ones that seem to get infected about once a month, even though I’m meticulous about cleaning them, can be quite painful. Dentist said it’s ok as long as they aren’t causing any damage to the other teeth, but that I may want to consider having them out. Would be a hospital job and mentioned about a 1% chance of nerve damage. Don’t really have any facts to think about or anything to base a decision on though!

So those who’ve had them out, why/how did you decided to have them out?

anjs
    Free Member

Had mine out as they where impacted and killed when they got infected.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pain.

Intense pain.

Pain that was so bad, I took to punching walls to focus pain away from my mouth.

I hadn’t been in such pain ever before and never have since…

Markie
    Free Member

Instead of sorting the real problem out (the jaw being too small for the teeth, so the obvious treatment being increasing the size of the jaw) – we just rip kid’s teeth out.

Is increasing the size of the jaw really a more straight forward option? It doesn’t sound it…

globalti
    Free Member

I had nice straight teeth as a yoof, then along came wisdom teeth and crowded them all and now I have crooked teeth. Plus they were a pain during the years they were emerging, I had rotten food collecting and bad breath and very sore gums. I really wish I’d had them taken out.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Just don’t try and eat that meat and potato pie you were gagging for 2 days after having the removed. It was painful!

Squidlord
    Free Member

I blame a wisdom tooth extraction for the the episodes of Trigeminal neuralgia I used to have. Awful, awful… at the time, I would have said it was a worse outcome than death!

mogrim

Pain. Pain that kept me awake at night, biting down on a finger to try and get rid of it. Really nasty. Best thing I ever did having that tooth out!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Wisdom teeth out tommorow…’ is closed to new replies.