Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • wiring grips on?
  • iamroughrider
    Free Member

How do you do it?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you mean old-style slide-one grips, I just slide ’em on with water and add a drop of superglue under each end when they’re dry and in the right position.

I know that’s not what you asked but I only did some the other day [ATI’s, baby] and it is the easiest and quickest way I’ve ever done it, so I thought I’d share.

EDIT: I can’t imagine there’s more to it than this.

godzilla
    Free Member

Tip of the day –
    it works best if you loop the wire twice, that way when you twist it clamps more even and seems to snap less.

cr500dom
    Free Member

The easiest way is with some of these:

Lockwire pliers, clamp them on the wire ends, pull the bearing at the end and they twist the wire.

The only thing missing from Gofasterstripes’ link above is that chap just cuts them off and pushes them in, I always leave them longer so you can fold the wire back on itself before pushing it in to the grip.

It stops the cut end snagging anything

weeksy

Mmmmmm lockwire pliers…

you’ll end up doing EVERYTHING when you play with them… cups, mugs, coathangers lol

Lester
    Free Member

use lock ons??
    or
    slide them on with hair spray quickly before it dries

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for superglue, just wipes off with a dribble of acetone under the grip when they’re worn out.

use lock ons??

Lock ons – 150g for £20
    Ritchey foam – 20g for £6 and no collars to give you blisters on bare hands.

momo

weeksy – Member
    Mmmmmm lockwire pliers…

you’ll end up doing EVERYTHING when you play with them… cups, mugs, coathangers lol

This is true. This thread has reminded me that I need to pop out and pick up some lock wire today, need to wire the renthal grips on to my bike before tonights first ride!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lock-ons are lumpy and uncomfortable for my sensitive handies!

Lester
    Free Member

aaah this should look after you then £7.50 foam lock ons 🙂

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTSRFOCLOGR/sram_contour_foam_locking_grips

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Looks great, shame my MTB is blue and black only [bar the forks, but I cannae afford new ones or the time to paint].

Sam

For slide on grips I use spray on adhesive glue. little squirt inside the grip slide em on, leave for a day and they won’t budge till you need to cut them off.

cr500dom
    Free Member

if you are wiring them on, wd40 inside the grip and slide in place, fine until water gets under the grip, but that’s the wires other job, to tightly seal 😉

If you have a compressor then you can put them on dry with an airline, bit of a knack to it, but once mastered I reckon its as quick as lock ons 8)

cr500dom
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

Mmmmmm lockwire pliers…

LOL !!
    I was taught by someone who was Ex RAF, his lockwiring was just beautiful to see, equal number of turns between bolts, perfect layouts, exact length Tails (with opposite hand twists)perfectly doubled back.
    He was an artist and it was a privilege to watch him work.

I had to Lockwire all the fastenings on the Throttles we did for the Norton TT Bike, as someone designed them with tiny screws all over the place and they needed to be serviceable (so not ideal place to use locktite) was a very therapeutic job 8)

iolo
    Free Member

When superglue fails there is no warning.
    As I found out whilst jumping the bomhole into the field at caersws during a caersws cup event a few years back.
    I just lay on the grass, a bit dizzy with one grip in my hand.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ooh – interesting point.

Latex adhesive? Hot tar?

tang
    Free Member

Esi grips, window cleaner. Easy.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve done it with florist wire, about 2mm thick,

Put the middle of the wire on the grip, then smooth it round till it meets. Twist the excess ends together until tight, grip the twisted bit with some pliers and turn till tight, (You’ll break a few wire’s till you get hang of it.) then cut off whats not needed and press into grip to keep it away from hands.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

thanks everyone. Reason I ask is i usually just use hairspray on regular grips but recently rain has caused them to slip. Think I may also try superglue.Love lockons but for the commuter I like using cheap regular grips due to the amount of use they get. Mind you superstar lock on ones may be a cheap alternative…

Think I will try superglue and also wire them on now.

Can you get away with just wiring one end – probably the grips inner?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Can you get way with just wiring one end – probably the grips inner?

Yes, but you won’t. Ever eaten a single pringle?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

lol.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Can you get way with just wiring one end – probably the grips inner?

You can, but water/dirt can get into the open end so far better off doing both ends.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘wiring grips on?’ is closed to new replies.