• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wiring a light switch ??
  • j5kol
    Free Member

Help needed in wiring a 4 gang dimmer switch which is linked to a 2 gang switch. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. The dimmer switch is a lightwave rf and not a standard fitting

craigxxl
    Free Member

May I suggest getting an electrician in. Not being awkward but potential to create a mess if your not confident in what you are doing.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve got a few of these in the house after getting it rewired, and we had a dodgy switch that needed to be replaced.

I took one look and saw a mass of wires, and got an electrician to replace it.

I could have figured it out, but wiring makes me nervous and the last time I replaced a light switch it took a while before I stopped expecting the house to burn down.

footflaps

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Label everything

With a permanent marker pen number each wire in the existing switch 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Then write the same number on the terminal in the existing switch.

This way you can always get back to where you were.

2. Ignore colours

With switches you often have neutral wires acting as live or switched live esp if the light has more than one switch controlling it, so the sleeve colouring of the wire may not have any resemblance to it’s use unless the person fitting was very diligent and labelled them (unlikely).

You normally have live and switched live in a single pole light switch, but you’d need a tester pen / multi-meter to tell which is which.

timba
    Free Member

Do you need the 2-gang switch if the 4-gang can be controlled remotely?

properbikeco
    Free Member

there a literally hundreds of possibilities as to how this is or could be wired – get a spark in unless you know what you are doing!

db

If I understand you have a 4 switch dimmer unit and a 2 switch unit (say upstairs) you want to control 2 of the 4 on the dimmer unit?

Have a go, test everything…

then get an electrician in!

rwamartin
    Free Member

Hi j5kol. Electrician here. happy to help but am just off to casualty with my son who fell out a tree. Damaged wrist but fortunately the camera is ok. (don’t ask!). If you are still stuck in 3 or 4 hours drop me an email (in my profile) and we will try and sort it.
    Rich.

DezB
    Free Member

Even I’d try something like that 😀

I’d do this search –
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wiring+a+4+way+switch

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wiring a light switch ??’ is closed to new replies.