Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wireless Router suddenly started dropping out every few minutes
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have a BT homehub which has worked fine for the last two years. For the last two weeks though it keeps disconnecting for a few seconds, flashing all it-s lights and then working again. Each time it does this my laptop gets disconnected from broadband and drops the VPN into work etc.

Is this likely to be the white home hub box or something else?

Do I just contact BT and wait for them to sort it out or is there something better I can do?

Shakey
    Free Member

They should replace it but I would buy a decent router like a Netgear DG834.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'm having a similar problem with mine, but oddly enough, it's not affecting my laptop, just my BT On vision system. Think I'm going back to Sky…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay, so if I got for the NetGear hub. Is there any real benefit in getting the more expensive ones? I run a wired in PC and a couple of wireless laptops. I only need them to connect around the house and not up/downloading massive volumes.

Cheap is good as long as it works.

wwaswas

I've got a dg834gt going spare wca – £25 posted?

grumm
    Free Member

I've had that netgear one for years – never had any trouble with it and I get reception everywhere in a 4 storey house.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

wwwas – I really need it today. I have to get some stuff done for a customer which is why I have to be on the VPN which is why this has become an issue. Thanks for the offer but looks like I am popping down Argos.

wwaswas

ah, ok well no worries.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Are you sure it's not switching channels to avoid a neighbours wireless?

Sounds like it.

DM52
    Free Member

does the wired pc loose connection when this happens? Could be a fault with the line and not the homehub, might be worth a call to BT to see if they have any drop outs registering on their logs before splashing the cash.

woody2000

Try what BlingBling said, one of your neighbours might have a new router that's interfering with yours. If not, is there a firmware update or anything you could do?

Sandwich

Have a check to see if a neighbour isn't using a MIMO hub. These tend to flatten the output from non-MIMO ones on the same channel. Signs are high signal strength from a distant hub.

geoffj
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Changed channel and it seems okay.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Router suddenly started dropping out every few minutes’ is closed to new replies.