Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wireless Repeater – Using an Old Router?
  • Haze

Currently on Cable, primary router is the standard Vrigin Media supplied Netgear WGR614v9.

I have an old DSL Netgear DG834 router knocking around, is it possible to set this up as wireless repeater in some way?

jota180
    Free Member

Fairy easy
    I think that one has a set up option to configure it as an access point

Use the same security passwords etc.

fraseruk
    Free Member

I did this for a while, using an old adsl router to extend the wireless network. Not sure if they can all do it – I think it has to support WDS, but can’t remember all the details now.

Haze

Cheers folks, just making sure it could be done before I start trying…

mattrgee
    Free Member

Not all routers support a repeater config. Like fraseruk says, it will be listed as WDS.

bentudder

WDS it is – I’ve tried doing the same with an old Pre-N test router from Netgear and a Virgin Media SuperHub. If you’ve got WDS, great, if not, it’s difficult or impossible. Get down to Netgear’s support site and stick the newest firmware you can find on it. Google the router name + WDS, see what happens – and good luck!

Haze

Right, looks like I’ve got a bit of reading to do!

Cheers all 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Check here for open source firmware that you can configure to use as a wireless router dd-wrt. Check for compatibility with your model. I use it on all my routers. top gear.

bentudder

Thanks for the link! I’ll give that a try myself.

Haze

Ok, bit of problem…my cable router is 192.168.1.1, no idea what the DSL is but I’ve tried a few variations (192.168.0.1 etc) without getting anywhere, including all IP’s in the ‘attached devices’ listed in the primary router.

It’s hard wired in and I know I’m missing something simple…

edit: forget this, sorted it

Haze

Toys19, thanks but the DG834 is on the incompatible list for DD-WRT

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Repeater – Using an Old Router?’ is closed to new replies.