Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wireless network/internet problems
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a problem with my network at home. My downstairs computer accesses the internet via a wireless connection (through a 3com router/modem) The wireless card is a Railink.

It works fine, the signal strength is quite low but it works.

However, if I leave the computer switched on for a few hours then go back to it to use the internet, it doesnt work. It shows it as connected in the bottom right hand corner but when I click internet explorer it wont load the page. I can repair the connection and it still wont work. I've had a look at the settings and cant see anything.

For what its worth, the Railink software configures the network card rather than the windows software.

Any ideas?

Ta

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Make sure the laptop is not going into standby mode when left unattended or when the lid is closed. Look under power management settings in control panel. This would usually knock out the wireless. Also let windows manage the wireless if you know how to set up your own WEP/WPA

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its actually a desktop pc, but I'll take a look anyway. Ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Forgot to say, its running windows xp

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

could still be going in standby mode when left unnatended. I'd personally still let windows manage the wireless.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I checked the power options and the box was ticked to allow the computer to go into hibernation mode.

Ive unticked it and I'll check the pc again in a few hours. If it still persists I'll try letting windows manage the connection

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

that should sort it 59

jonk

Somtimes its due to the wireless card or router going into powersave mode and needing a reboot or uninstall card / install to get going. You can check for this in the device manager applet for the wireless card.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wireless network/internet problems’ is closed to new replies.