Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wireless network works fine but cant connect to router with CAT5
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have a netgear router that has worked perfectly as a wireless router for several years. I now need to add a smart DVD player and SKY box via power plugs. If I turn the wireless off and connect it directly to the router with a CAT5 cable I thought it should automatically connect to the internet etc. Am I wrong.

Please point me in the right direction.

I have a decent computer knowledge but I am by no means an IT professional.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Does the cable work for sure? Have you picked up a crossover instead of a straight through cable? (Are the wires in the same order at each end?)

bails

If I turn the wireless off and connect it directly to the router with a CAT5 cable I thought it should automatically connect to the internet etc

Turn the wireless off on what? What is the ‘it’ in that sentence?

You shouldn’t have to turn anything on or off, you should just plug the cable into the router and into the other device and the two should connect.

If not, then as above, does the cable work?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am trying to connect the Laptop directly to the router with a brand new CAT5 cable, have tried 2 new cables with no difference.

I am turning the wireless on the laptop off so that I can be sure that any connection to the router is via the CAT5 cable as the wireless works perfectly on about 8 different devices.

I have also tried all 4 of the CAT5 connections on the router with no joy. Could it be the router is broken.

cranberry
    Free Member

If I turn the wireless off and connect it directly to the router with a CAT5 cable I thought it should automatically connect to the internet etc. Am I wrong.

You’ll need to give a little thought to how you are giving out addresses for each unit – each on needing a unique address.

DHCP is very common, and easy to use, your router *should* be set up to give out an address with this to each device that requests one, the downside being that the same device may end up having different addresses over time.

A static address would be better for specific devices like a DVD player/sky box, but you will need to ensure that they are given an address outside of the range used by DHCP *or* that in DHCP you reserve a specific address in the range for each device.

What is the address of your router, what DHCP range is it offering to clients ? What happens when you connect the DVD player to the router directly via a cat5 cable – does it get an ip address ? What is shown under “attached devices” on your router when the DVD player is connected directly ?

bails

when the two are connected by cable can you access the router?

It should be accessible by typing something like 192.168.0.1 into the address bar.

Or open a command prompt (start->run: “CMD”) and then type ipconfig and press enter.

You should get something like “ethernet adapter local area connection:”
    with some words and numbers below it.
    One of the lines should contain “IP Address…..123.123.12.134”

If you get that then the laptop is working and the cable is working, and the issue is likely ot be at the router end of things.

Have you gone through ‘help and support’? Looked at network connections in control panel? (assuming you’re on windows)

verses

[list][*]Is your Ethernet connection enabled in the OS on your laptop?
    [*]Is the Ethernet connection on your laptop set for DHCP or Static addressing?
    [*]Does the router support DHCP? If so is it enabled? If so is it limited to a small number of addresses?
    [*]If the laptop is set for Static Addressing, does the address being used match the range being given out by the DHCP Server on the router?[/list]

avdave2

Is the laptop set to obtain the ip address automatically on the LAN connection? It’s possible it’s set to a specific IP for that connection.

z1ppy

If I turn the wireless off and connect it directly to the router with a CAT5 cable I thought it should automatically connect to the internet etc. Am I wrong.

Just to set the record straight as no ones answering your question 😉 .. yes it should just plug in and start working. I find it very hard to believe even a quite old router shouldn’t be set to do this automatically.

Take a look at bails post above, there should be an IP address noted on the router along side the Wifi name/password (not necessarily the one he’s posted), that when plugged in directly will allow you to access the router configuration via a browser window… even if you have no interent connection via it at the time, it should connect you to the admin login. Do that and look for the DHCP setting.. see if they are enabled.

jam-bo

Netgear 834GT?

mine recently failed in exactly same mode, ADSL modem + wifi fine, ethernet ports dead.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

DHCP is activated, I can log into the router through http://192.168.0.1 through a wirelessly connected laptop but not through a laptop connected directly to the router with a CAT5 cable. does this help to diagnose the Ethernet ports as being dead.

verses

It could still be the config of the ethernet port on your laptop.

What OS are you running?

jam-bo

sounds like it. I tried several different laptops to connect, a range of cables and even flashed the firmware.

binned it and bought a cheap ADSL modem and an apple airport express to manage wifi.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Any lights on corresponding to where you’ve plugged the ethernet cable in on the router?
    Also make sure your ethernet adaptor is enabled on the PC. Got to networking in control panel, view network adaptors and make sure there is not red cross on the one you’re trying to use. If there is, right click and select enable.
    If its enabled, try updating the driver too.

kcal

Ethernet port not enabled in laptop device manager?

Is there a lamp above the ports on the router, does the lamp illuminate when the cable is connected?

Is the laptop the only PC device in the house – i.e. can you cross refer by trying another machine with CAT5 port?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Running windows 7 on both of the laptops I have tried.

The corresponding number on the router 1 – 4 illuminates with a flashing led as if transmitting data when you connect the CAT5 cable to it.

Ethernet port is running fine with updated drivers etc.

z1ppy

DHCP is activated, I can log into the router through http://192.168.0.1 through a wirelessly connected laptop but not through a laptop connected directly to the router with a CAT5 cable. does this help to diagnose the Ethernet ports as being dead.

Kinda unusualy to be able to log into via wireless, as usually it’s a security feature that you can only log in directly, to stop it being hacked remotely. Do as the posts above suggest (checking laptop port is enabled), then look at resetting the router to factory default? Though make sure any configuation (adsl login details specifically) have been noted & if still fubar’d, try the firmware update?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try the following:-
    Control Panel > Network & Sharing Centre
    Change adaptor settings
    Right click on the ethernet adaptor, select properties.
    Then select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties
    If its set to “use the following IP address” and there is an IP adress, subnet mask and default gateway specified, change it to “obtain an IP address automatically”.

Does that work now?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

bigyinn, did all that but it was already set to get IP Address automatically.

bails

Turn wireless on, connect to the wifi.

Then plug in the cable.

Wait a minute.

Then go into the router control panel and try to find ‘attached devices’. Is the laptop showing as a wired connection?

bigyinn
    Free Member

What heppens if you run ipconfig on the command prompt connected through a cable? Does it list a “default gateway” under the appropriate adaptor?
    If it doesn’t, then the laptop cant “see” the router.

M6TTF
    Free Member

what net gear router is it? have you run it stood upright or flat? Ive had 2 netgear routers pack up wired. its a well known issue that they get too hot and the board gives up. it still works wirelessly fine

bigsurfer
    Free Member

It is a DG834G and it has been run for the last couple of years horizontal and does seem top get pretty hot.

I am leading towards the router being broken.

bigyinn
    Free Member

DGN1000’s are notorious for doing that.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a new router ADSL just normal house use, couple of laptops, couple of phone connections and hopefully DVD player streaming via power plugs. Rarely is much being used at the same time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The DG834G has been around for quite some time. It might be worth trying to update the firmware before binning it.
    If not I can recommend the DGN2200. Good wireless range and similar user interface, so will be familiar to you.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

bigyinn, thanks for all your help the firmware was a few issues out of date but updating it hasn’t sorted anything so I will try and pick up a new router.

kcal

Only just ditched my DG834G this year after 9 years 🙂
    Got another Netgear, updated version. Wireless-N 300, can’t fault it really. Was £49, the original 834 was £122.42 !!

Mine tends to be screwed to the wall, vertically.

sharkbait
    Free Member

BigSurfer – I’ve got a spare 834G I’m happy to sell – then you could simply backup your existing settings and restore them to the new one in less than 5 mins.
    Make me an offer.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for all your help. Bought a new netgear router and computer connects through cat and blue ray player connects through power plugs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wireless network works fine but cant connect to router with CAT5’ is closed to new replies.