Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wireless Music
  • edsbike
    Free Member

Afternoon.

I have an Apple TV connected to my telly and hifi, mainly to stream music from my computer(Mac)/HDD onto the hifi. It’s controlled from the TV.

Is there a way to get another small speaker/amp unit (like a SONOS) to put in the bedroom for music? Are Airplay speakers the answer? I’d like the music to remain stored on the computer, but to control it from an iPhone or iPad. From what I’ve used it for before, Airplay sends something from the handheld device to the Airplay device.

My Mac is mid-2011 so just too old to do the Aiplay-to-Apple TV thing.

Thanks,
    Ed

somouk
    Free Member

HI,

Airplay will be ideal.

I have my mac running an iTunes library and the apple remote on my iphone. This then allows me to send music to my apple TV or any of my other apple airplay speakers around the house.

The feature I think you’re referring to is the airplay mirroring which is where one device displays the same as the other which I don’t think you will need for just music functionality.

Mart

edsbike
    Free Member

Cheers Mart, will I be able to individually control the different sets of speakers (hifi/AppleTV and Airplay speakers) from the iPhone? Or have them both playing the same thing? Individual volume control?

Thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

Hi,

You can do individual volume control and from iTunes you can play the same thing to one or to many.

If you wanted different things playing in each room you would need to use multiple sources. So in one room stream your itunes in another room use airplay to stream from another I device to the speaker.

Cheers,
    Mart

edsbike
    Free Member

Sounds ideal. Any recommendations for Airplay speakers?

somouk
    Free Member

Depends a lot on your budget and need… If you’re after something small but still good quality then I have just had an Altec Lansing inAir 5000 as it was a bargain compared to its RRP for an all in one unit.

Another option is to buy an amp, speakers and an airport express off ebay, this adds complication but can be significantly cheaper. You could even get away with plugging cheap speakers into the airport.

You’re opening a can of worms and don’t blame me when you have speakers in every room 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have a Mac Mini from around 2008 running iTunes, plugged in to my TV, amp and remote speakers.

I then have a couple of airports with speakers plugged in to them. Either use a amp/speakers or a pair of active speakers.

It’s controllable from my Android phone and volume is controllable all together or individually from the app.

edsbike
    Free Member

Nice. I’ve got the big hifi in the living room but just after something for the bedroom, possibly bathroom when it gets refurbed next year, so another separates system is a little overkill. Mart, Altec one looks good, is the sound reasonable for a medium-sized room. Only low-level listening in the bedroom.

Thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just been looking into exactly this problem. The main issue is that AirPlay stuff, whilst convenient, is flipping expensive for what it is…..
    So, I bought a nice pair of Wharfedale speakers and a Pioneer amp off eBay and plugged my Airport Express into it.

Job done, and with better sound quality and more volume than most if not all AirPlay stuff I would think. 🙂 total cost including the Airport Express would have been around £140.

somouk
    Free Member

HI,

The sound is reasonable in my bedroom which is about 5m x 5m I’ve also ran it in the living room too which is a similar size with no issues.

Its never going to be as good as separates but isn’t bad for low level listening.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Music’ is closed to new replies.