• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wireless internet signal boosters?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Are there any that are good and will boost the signal of a BT Business Hub (802.11g as far as I'm aware)? I've just moved my computer into a room further away and the signal is awful now – either low or very low (sometimes even unavailable) which results in slow and unreliable internet.

Ta 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tried making a reflector? Or a cantenna?

_tom_
    Free Member

Nope, care to elaborate?

woffle
    Free Member

I've added an Apple Airport Express to extend my wireless network at home – it's an old house with thick walls and reception was awful at the end of the house furthest from the router. Get full signal all round the house now.

Setup was really easy with (just a tick in a box on the base-station config (allow this network to be extended) and a further 2 minutes setting up the Express – just had to instruct it to do just that. I'm not sure about using non-Apple hardware on the router side but I can't see it being a problem – might be worth ten minutes on google.

It cost me £40 on fleabay.

wwaswas

I just switched from a wireless G router to Wireless N – made a huge difference and it wasn't that much more than a signal booster.

I'll have a look at the manual for my wireless G one (Netgear) if it can be configured as a booster/node then you could have it for £15 posted?

[Edit] It's a Netgear WPN824 – a quick google makes it look like it can be done but you'd need to be 'technical' to do it I'd say. Email in profile if you're interested.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use a Belkin Wireless G Range Extender with my BT home hub, don't expect much help from BT or Belkin when it comes to setting it up, I spent 9 hours getting mine to work properly (but its been working fine for 2 or 3 years now though).

5lab

get a linksys gl wireless router (~£40 new) – if you put a copy of dd-wrt on it (free) which is fairly striaght-forwards, you can use it as an extender, wireless access point, bridge, whatever you want. Works flawlessly

disco_stu
    Free Member

avoid any belkin range extenders, I've had 3 of them in work and they are such a pain to get working properly

HTTP404
    Free Member

You may be able to do it cheaply with a netgear (or other cheap) routers.
    The netgear WGT624 / D834G / WGR614 models can all run in repeater mode to extend your wireless network.

And the good thing is they are in plentiful supply secondhand on ebay for about a tenner.

I have the same issue as you, having just recently moved house and this is how I intend to improve my signal strength.

Spongebob
    Free Member

If your router is like most ADSL Modem/WiFi routers, there will be a built in 4 port Ethernet hub.

If yours is like this, i'd add a CAT5 extension and put a cheap WiFi router on the other end.

I have seen the Belkin wireless extender mentioned here and it is completely wireless. You can buy them from eBuyer for under £30.

Belkin say the unit is setup in minutes by placing the unit close to the desired master unit and then pressing a "clone" button. I am sceptical about the simplicity of this.

You could take a punt on one of these and if it doesn't work as described, add a point to point CAT5 connection.

You can buy an RJ45 plug crimping tool and a handful of RJ45 plugs for under a tenner (they sell them as a blister pack). Measure how much cable you'll need and get the length you require on eBay.

I'm currently putting CAT5e infrastructure in my house. A bit of searching online has enabled me to get everything i need for not a lot of money. Going forward, as more and more Ethernet enabled domestic electronics comes online, i will be able to quickly and simply hook it all together on a network(s).

thehustler
    Free Member

I have one of the gizmo's that uses your hous wiring as a wired network, with a wireless range extender attached at the other end from router means i get perfect wireless wherever i put it even at bottom of garden (which is 50m+ from the modem)

Cougar

An alternative might be Homeplugs (google it), they're fairly well regarded.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just realised I have a BT Homehub lying around from my old uni house. Any ideas if this can be somehow converted to work as a signal booster/repeater instead of a router?

I looked into those homeplugs and I don't really understand how they work, I must just be feeling thick today as I'm sure I understood them before.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

yes you old homehub can be turned into a wireless extender. Plugging it into your computer and accessing the settings. Things will become clear.

_tom_
    Free Member

Apparently it won't work as it's a homehub 2 which doesn't have the right settings to do it 🙁

mudsux
    Free Member

also try the tplink high gain adaptors. on ebay circa £10. (the have a stub antenna)
    going from a a std. dongle to one of these I got 4 to 5 bar signal from what was originally a fluctuating signal of 1 to 3 (and intermittent dropping of signal).

Ewan
    Free Member

An alternative might be Homeplugs (google it), they're fairly well regarded.

They do create a hideous amount of RF interfence tho, forget listening to DAB, you'll also bring on the wrath of any amateur radio geeks who are local to you….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wireless internet signal boosters?’ is closed to new replies.