Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wireless Internet Problems
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just has a new access point fitted for my Cable broadband.
    My Mac can see the access point and also acces the interent beyond.
    The SO’s windows 7 PC can see the access point but is incredibly slow to connect to the interent beyond, if at all.

I have checked the drivers, reinstalled Windows, and it is still having problems.

I have even set up a router i had kicking around with a wire into the new access point. Again my Mac has no problems but the SOs laptop can see it but not the internet beyond.

It was fine before the change of hub? any suggestions on what might be worth a shot?

I don’t have the orginal access point device as Virgin took that away when they gave me the new superhub thingy.

Swelper
    Free Member

Had a very similar issue here, Mac also.

I have a Belkin router, final solution for me was to install the router disc and re-boot. All sorted now.

Hope this helps

craigxxl
    Free Member

Virgins Superhub is any thing but super. I never had problems with my wireless until the modem died which was then replaced with this new hub. I then experienced slow wireless connection, dropoffs and lack of range. Looking on the internet I wasn’t the only one and plenty of complaints about the hub. I now have a TP-link router handling the wireless and connections. This wasn’t easy either as your supposed to just put the hub into modem only mode but the router couldn’t detect it and plenty of settings changes were required to get them working together.
    Try connecting the laptop using a cable and putting the hub into modem mode. If it works then the problems is either the laptop wireless settings or most likely the hub’s router capability in which case use another router like I had to do.

cp

Super hubs are crap. well, the modem bit is very good and fast, but the wireless bit is RUBBISH.

Virgin have remarkably accepted this, and there is a setting on the hubs set up pages that puts the thing into ‘modem only’ mode, and you use your own wireless router into the lan port nearest the power socket.

I run our superhub with a TP link wireless router, and it’s a very fast, very stable set up.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I also had problems with wifi on my superhub. Wired connection was fine, anything wifi would connect to the device, but get no internet connection.
    I heard a rumour that if you change the auto channel selection in the hub and manually specify a wifi channel, that sorts it.
    Gave that a try last night and bingo. Wifi now working fine on my laptop, phone and kindle.

wwaswas

After 3 hours faffing about I set my Virgin superhub up so it just operates as a modem and then just plugged my old netgear router into it.

curvature
    Free Member

Agree Virgin’s hub is pretty poor.

Varying speed and the connection drops on a regular basis.

It will only allow one old HP Laptop to connect but the other 3 Toshiba’s can’t connect. It is apparently a problem with the drivers for the wireless card in the laptops.

Anything by Apple including my Mac, Phone, iPod, ATV all connect without a problem.

The Xbox is fine to.

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks i will have another look tonight. Just very annoying, i can’t get me head round why the laptop can see the superhub, i can log in as admin, fiddle etc. But if i want to connect to the internet it is not interested. Well it might but very unreliable.

Yet the Mac connection is faster, totally stable etc. even my phone connects without a hitch!!!!!

Cougar

Just so we’re clear, is this only over wireless, or does it play up wired too?

I think my first step would be driver updates. Many laptops have an ‘update my computer’ type app which takes some of the pain out of it (and variably replaces it with pain of its own). See if there’s a newer driver for the WLAN adapter.

I’ve seen W7 get in a knot and think it’s connected to an “unidentified network”, blocking Internet access. I think in the end it was deleting the connection and allowing it to rebuild which fixed it.

final solution for me was to install the router disc and re-boot

I’d be really interested to know what on earth is on that disc.

mrmo
    Free Member

Cougar, tried all the updates, download drivers etc.

I have plugged a cable in and it seems to work.

Really just seems to have an issue with wireless. but to be clear is does connect sometimes, eventually.

I think i will force the supedhub to be a modem and just use the old hub and see if that works.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Internet Problems’ is closed to new replies.