Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wireless Computers – as pants as they used to be?
  • Neil-S
    Free Member

I’m looking for a bike computer for Mrs S’ bike.

She wouldn’t get the use out of a GPS, all she cares about is “How far?” and “How fast?”.

I’ve been looking at the Cateye Strada as it comes in a fetching green to match her bike.

I had a wireless Cateye about 10 years ago and it was “OK” at best, it used to intermittently miss revolutions and so on. Are the current ones any better?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers 🙂

TheFopster
    Free Member

Mine has been flawless. Good basic bit of kit

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve bad a Cateye wireless computer for about 4-5 years and its been brilliant. Never missed a beat in some horrendous conditions. New battery both ends once a year or so is all OT ever needs.

scaredypants

variable to shite, IME

cateye and most recently a sigma. On a road bike FWIW
    (I believe WIW is that you have more opprtunity to look at the computer when road riding so might notice dropouts more easily)

changed both batteries, mounted sender high and low on the fork and on both sides, moved receiver along bars both sides, along stem and tried rotating it as much as I could so there was a good overhang in clear sight of the sender. All resulted in patchy function.

get wires or a cheap GPS, I’d say

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve had my Cateye Micro Wireless(?) for years and it’s been totally dependable. The battery doesn’t last quite as long as with the wired type, but it’s still plenty long.

Neil-S
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

GPS is too much chew with batteries and so on. I think I’ll go for the Strada – if it sucks then I’ll send it back.

🙂

Neil.

FOG

My cateye strada died this week for no detectable reason. It had new batteries in sender and computer head. The magnet was in exactly the right spot but it just doesn’t work anymore. I have now had 3-4 different makes of wireless computer and they have all been rubbish to some degree. I am now saving the pennies for a GPS. Do any of the cheaper ones actually give a grid or lat’n’long reference as well as speed/distance info?

RustySpanner

Been using the basic Strada wireless on two bikes for years.

Never had a problem, simple to use and very tough.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Computers – as pants as they used to be?’ is closed to new replies.