Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless computer problems
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Any bright ideas?
    A week or so ago I noticed the wireless reception in the house was dropping off. (BT home hub). The wired connection was and is fine. I swapped it for another Homehub. No change. Some messing around, wiring the laptop in and resetting the smart TV has them working so I guess its not the router.
    The tablet though won’t play. It wants to use a network/router that I don’t recognise. Only one house close enough to even suspect I reckon and that’s through a 3 foot stone wall and as I am sure its a BT one I don’t think that would really reach.
    It will look at my network but keeps jumping away. Is there anyway, in an Android tablet to block a choice of net work?
    Finally when the tablet does lock onto mine and say that it does have a perfect signal it still doesn’t shown a wireless icon on the screen although in settings it does. Doing a web search gets the no net work signal. Tablet is near new Lenovo.
    Go me stumped but I am no expert.

frogstomp

Presumably it’s trying to connect to your neighbours ‘BT-WiFi’ connection – i.e. the one that gives you free roaming WiFi if you are a customer?

Sounds like the other router is using the same wireless channel as yours and causing interference – try changing to a different channel and see if that helps.

jca

May well be a problem with other people’s wifi signals interfering with yours. 2.4Ghz wifi has 11 channels available (which overlap), but most kit comes configured to use the same ones. Try using a wifi scanner to identify what channels (and strengths) neighbours wifi is using and configure you router to use the cleanest channel. See here for details….

Or get a router whcih supports 5Ghz wifi (if your devices also do), since round us no-one else has that yet, while the 2.4Ghz frequencies are rammed….

metcalt

I had a similar problem when living in a terrace surrounded by people who also used BT Hubs.

As suggested above, I used a scanner (I can’t remember which one, it was a Vista Widget) to find out what channels were in use and set my router to one that wasn’t. It worked happily from then until I moved.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

get the “WiFi analyser” app for the android tablet. It’s great for seeing which routers have the best signal and their channels.

Cougar

get the “WiFi analyser” app

It’s “wifi analyzer” with a ‘z’ IIRC. (Not to be pedantic, but to help searching for it.)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well its not the neighbours so must be something very strong.
    Tried changing wireless channels and nothing.
    I am wondering about the tablet now.
    The WLAN page says connected but the browser says no connection.
    update
    Got to be the tablet. For the first time since I bought my phone several years ago I used the wireless at home. That works so the wireless must be ok

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless computer problems’ is closed to new replies.