Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • wireless charging, why did no one tell me!
  • kimbers

so I shagged the usb port on my phone

turns out its wireless charging compatible(nexus4) ordered an 8 quid wireless charger off amazon

its brilliant, even works through the plastic case, is it some kind of voodoo?

why do we need stupid cables for anything anymore?!?!?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cables? nothing really. Needs some charging mats in coffee shops

matt_outandabout

I don’t understand how this has not been included on all phones and devices…bye bye lots of adapter standards and miles of cables…?

IA

bye bye lots of adapter standards and miles of cables.

The wireless pad still needs…the exact same cable.

You think there’s only one wireless power standard? How naive…. 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

I don’t understand how this has not been included on all phones and devices…bye bye lots of adapter standards and miles of cables…?

It’s less efficient, slower, and increases the cost of manufacture of the devices.

jam-bo

What rate do they charge at?

CountZero

matt_outandabout – Member

You don’t just need a cable for charging, there’s consistent data transfer too. Wifi is ok, but I prefer a wired connection when I’m backing up, transferring files, etc.

chambord
    Free Member

Palm were going to take over the world with this 5 years ago 8)

The iPhone didn’t have it so no one gave a shit

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I just got a wireless Qi charger for my Nokia. It’s great, though a little noisy for nighttime use. I think my favourite thing about it is that fact that the charging plate itself has an internal battery, so you can charge your phone totally cable less if you need to.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

wireless charging, why did no one tell me!

Hmm.
    Why didn’t you RTFM?! 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The biggest issue I have is forgetting to take the plate with me, it does live on my desk though. As for data transfer I can’t remember ever using a cable with this phone for that. It’s all been wireless, no issues with that.

GrahamS

It’s less efficient, slower, and increases the cost of manufacture of the devices.

+1

Is it really that much effort to plug in a cable?
    Look there is one right there going into your “wireless” charging mat. 🙄

Now if you were talking proper wireless power, where giant Tesla towers make electricity freely available everywhere THEN I would see the point 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Look there is one right there going into your “wireless” charging mat.

Look a little more forward, integrate the mat into something like a table at starbucks, all you do is put your phone down and it charges. Free charging with out the risk of plugging your phone into a random lead out of a cabinet.
    Not having to plug it back in when you stop wandering round with it etc. Removing the port completely and not having a place for fluff to collect.

matt_outandabout

OK, naive me…
    I had in my head one big pad neat top of a hall unit with our four phones, iPad, two iPods, DS, 3DS and WiiU controller all sat neatly on it charging, instead of the double 4-gang extension cables and a melee of wires and chargers lurking in the drawer below…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

How does it work?

GrahamS

Look a little more forward…

When that day comes I’ll start looking for it as a feature. Till then it just seems a bit pointless and wasteful to me.

Presumably the charging mats need to be left on all the time too? (Though I guess they only ramp up to full power when they detect a device).

How does it work?

Magnets innit?

(But no one knows how they work!)

maccruiskeen

Wireless internet – fine, wireless charging, fine. Show me plumbing-less sanitation, then I’ll be impressed.

(France doesn’t count)

Xylene
    Free Member

Could I use an induction hob to super charge a phone quicker?

midlifecrashes

Yes*

*No

mikewsmith
    Free Member

YES – try it with someone elses phone first.

sweepy
    Free Member

Wireless internet – fine, wireless charging, fine. Show me plumbing-less sanitation, then I’ll be impressed.

Ta-dah

luffy105
    Free Member

I was an early adopter of the powermat charging system…..

Waste of money that turned out to be. Got lots of cases for old phones and a great charging plate now but that’s it.

perthmtb
    Free Member

@Sweepy – I won’t be putting my delicate nether regions anywhere near something called a “Flame 8000” 😯

hypnotoad
    Free Member

wanmankylung: It works in a similar way to a mains transformer, which the charging mat being one half of the transformer, and the other half being inside the phone case.

It’s less efficient than plugging a cable in, but those micro USB ports are rather fragile, so I prefer wireless charging myself.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I won’t be putting my delicate nether regions anywhere near something called a “Flame 8000”

And it can’t charge your phone either. Which I suppose could be a USP for porcelain manufacturers.

But I can’t quite shake the thought that you will need to pay close attention to the prevailing winds when positioning the Flame 8000. I’m sure having your idyllic log cabin filling up with the smell of flame grilled turd every time someone flushes would kill the vibe.

peterfile
    Free Member

Oral B have been doing this for 20 years.

I’ve got a wireless holder/charger for the car which is great. Also got one at work and tend to dump my phone on it whenever I’m near my desk.

I think wireless charging technology is more a reflection that device battery life hasn’t quite matched pace with advances in the power of smart phones/tablets etc!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Hmmm. Do you think a wireless charging mat could revive a very dead nexus 4?. I suspect it is very dead because the micro USB is damaged and therefore couldnt take any charge.

kimbers

Whippersnapper, that was exactly my problem

You can replace the micro USB daughter board, they’re about 15. Quid for the parts but its a bit fiddly

kimbers

Whippersnapper, that was exactly my problem

You can replace the micro USB daughter board, they’re about 15. Quid for the parts but its a bit fiddly

peterfile
    Free Member

Hmmm. Do you think a wireless charging mat could revive a very dead nexus 4?. I suspect it is very dead because the micro USB is damaged and therefore couldnt take any charge.

See the very first line in the very first post…

so I shagged the usb port on my phone

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Thanks kimbers, did you replace the USB as well? Or just go with the mat first off?

Thanks peterfile. The nexus 4 has different levels of deadness. I am not sure how dead kimbers’ phone was.

stumpy01

GrahamS – Member

Look there is one right there going into your “wireless” charging mat.

GrahamS – Member

When that day comes I’ll start looking for it as a feature. Till then it just seems a bit pointless and wasteful to me.

[tongue in cheek mode]

Presumably iPhones don’t come with wireless charging?

Only when Apple ‘invent’ wireless charging, will it become a ‘must have’…..

[/tongue in cheek mode] 😉

I’d love it if my phone supported wireless charging. Just chuck it down on a pad on my desk at work and ta daaaaaa, it charges. That would be great. Could be plugged into USB port on my monitor so it only comes on when the computer is on, i.e. when I’m at work.

GrahamS

Presumably iPhones don’t come with wireless charging?

😀 Not built-in, though there are third-party cases that support it.

Just chuck it down on a pad on my desk at work and ta daaaaaa, it charges. That would be great.

But you would be literally right next to cable that could charge it much faster and more efficiently for just one second’s worth of extra effort on your part?

scotroutes

The magnetic snap-on Sony charging cable does away with many of the disadvantages of the mini-USB socket. It’s sealed/waterproof, can’t fill up with fluff and is unlikely to break off.

jam-bo

But you would be literally right next to cable that could charge it much faster and more efficiently for just one second’s worth of extra effort on your part?

especially if you use a 2.1A charger it’ll charge from empty in about 2 hours.

stumpy01

GrahamS – Member

I reckon once you got used to just chucking it down on a pad, then having to plug it in would be a major pain (1st world pain obviously, in the same way that filling the car up once a week is a major pain)…..
    Plus, if you have to make a call or take it to the loo for a spot of Angry Birds you have to unplug it and re-plug it every time.

Not bothered about charging efficiency too much. Obviously if it’s massively wasteful of energy, then it’s no good.
    But, I’m at work for 7.5hrs minimum. My phone doesn’t need to charge as fast as possible.
    In the same way my toothbrush doesn’t need to be charged within 30mins because I can plug it in before I go to bed and won’t be needing it for perhaps 6-8hrs.

And – your forgetting the main point of it – Wireless charging is some kind of futuristic magic (even though it’s just magnets and coils and induction stuff)…… 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

peterfile, which one do you have in the car? I tried using one like this, but it ran the battery flat in about a week! It’s a bmw 5 series diesel so not a small battery either. I opened up the casing of the charger and it was pretty simple inside, I suspect it was on whenever the car was on regardless of if there was a phone on it.

In the house I have a ZENS charger which seems much more intelligent and also much faster but I don’t want to risk running the car flat again!

GrahamS

Wireless charging is some kind of futuristic magic

So many miracles, the magic miracles. 😉

Kunstler

The magnetic snap-on Sony charging cable does away with many of the disadvantages of the mini-USB socket. It’s sealed/waterproof, can’t fill up with fluff and is unlikely to break off.

Wish they’d developed it sooner. My otherwise perfect Xperia SP has a knackered usb connection. I’m dragging out sending off to the insurers for repair as my life will probably become unbearable without the possibility for immediate distraction.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘wireless charging, why did no one tell me!’ is closed to new replies.