Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Wireless CH thermostat
  • cudubh

Our current central heating thermostat is probably a bit close to the wood burner so kicks the heating off when the lounge is nice and toasty. Mrs CD objects if she is in the study which then gets pretty chilly as do the bedrooms. I was thinking she could take a wireless unit into the study with her to keep the heating on, and the TRVs in the lounge would mean that those radiators would be off. Does anybody have any recommendations for what would be a good reliable unot to have installed, ideally not too expensive?

divenwob
    Free Member

If price is a biggy,check out Salus.

jam-bo

just get an oil filled radiator for the study and heat it when you need it.

salus is ok.

netatmo is better.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

One of those little oil filled, electric rads may be a quicker, easier and cheaper (to orginally buy) option ??

I’ve used one in the past when I wanted just one room warmer than the
    rest and it worked well

edit …. beaten to it/great minds

divenwob
    Free Member

Oil filled for the bedrooms aswell?? 😯

cudubh

Got an oil filled rad which is parked in the conservatory for when the spaniel is in there and its cold, I am an old softy so don’t want it to be too cold for her when she comes in wet and stinky (the dog not the wife). We had a separate halogen heater in the study which died. That worked OK, but meant the bedroom was still chilly. The woodburner is at the other end of the house, a bungalow, so doesn’t heat the study/bedroom. It might be easiest just to turn up the existing thermostat a while before going to bed and allow the TRV in the lounge to shut that rad down but the bedroom to warm up. The rooms aren’t huge so it wouldn’t need long.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sorry missed the bedrooms bit.

I’d still go with the oil filled in the study to keep the mrs happy as a cheap/easy option for what’s left of the rest of the winter.

cudubh

Ro5ey,

This is the woman who took a jumper on holiday to Jamaica, and wore it. She feels the cold. I can be sitting in T shirt and shorts with the dog panting away sitting next to me and she still complains about being cold. The radiator option might be best. The heating tends to stay on for about 11 months of the year, that way I could switch it off and only have one superheated room in the house.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Divenwob, are Salus ones OK? Do you have experience. I was close to ordering one the other day, but then happened to read a manual for one. The manual was atrocious, and gave me no confidence in the product whatsoever. I didn’t order.

Yet to pick one…

gonefishin
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, what’s the problem with an oil filled radiator in the bedroom. They are electrically powered and only use the oil as a heat transfer medium so not really any different to any other electic heater as far as I can see.

divenwob
    Free Member

Urban- I have one and it works fine,what is it you are finding off putting?
    Gone- I was pointing out that the others had suggested an oil filled for the study but had overlooked the need to heat the bedrooms.

totalshell

you have trvs on the rads in the room your thermostat is in?… think about that..

molgrips
    Free Member

Bought screwfix’s cheapest, about £50, because the existing one was too close to the rad in the hall. Works a treat, except the ideal position appears to be half way up the stairs!

cudubh

totalshell,

when we moved in there were TRVs on the rads but no thermostsat at all so we had one put in, just a basic one and after some experience we want a bit more flexibility than the present set up affords.

jam-bo

I think he is referring to the fact you shouldn’t have a stat in a room with a TRV as you can get stuck in a loop of constant demand.

teethgrinder

Electric blanket and a really long extension lead for bit more freedom?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Salus is fine if you dont need the functionality to turn your heating on from turkey or tunisia.

Mines was here when i moved in and has given no trouble at all – ever it just works.

Kiss

northernmatt

If you want just an on/off one go for Salus. Don’t go for Siemens as they last about 5 minutes. If you pay anymore than that you’re paying for a name, they don’t do extra anything that the cheap ones can’t do.

leffeboy

Fwiw I fitted a Honeywell cm907 in my last house and it is easily the best thermostat I’ve ever had (I’ve never tried the salus so they may be just as good). Standard behaviour for an on/off thermostat is to turn the heating on until the temp is reached and then turn it off. The Honeywell would do that until it got close to the right temp and then start doing a turn on/off thing so it landed at just the right temp and stayed there nicely. It even tried to learn how long you room took to heat up so when you set it for 7am that is the time your room would be warm rather than when the heading switched on. Nice stuff really.

It wouldn’t work with our new heading system though so I sold it on

cheers_drive

If you have TRVs in each room just set each one at the level required and turn the main thermostat up.

Flaperon

Or bite the bullet, Honeywell Evohome is awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

dooosuk
    Free Member

the fact you shouldn’t have a stat in a room with a TRV

Doesn’t matter as long as the TRV(s) in the room with the stat are set to constantly on rather than a heat setting.

IA

Bought the salus after recommendations on here, £36 off amazon and fitted in minutes. Programming it aint rocket science, just realise you set a time and the temp target, which then holds till the next time and temp target. Be sure to get the wireless timer one not just the wireless stat (with no programmable timer).

cudubh

IA, thanks for that, will look into it, £36 sounds like my sort of expenditure.

IA

It’s the RT500RF I got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-RT500RF-Programmable-Frequency-Thermostat/dp/B003ERP1LE

Been fitted a few months now, much better than the old timer. Not really a lot to say about it, it’s a thermostat, does what you expect!

The wireless stat unit has a little stand, so you can move it about the place and sit it where you want it.

cudubh

IA, thanks again. Sometimes STW renews your faith in humanity.

stumpy01

We needed one that does the hot water timing too, so ended up getting a Honeywell Sundial RF2 pack.

It was quite expensive, although we got it at trade price as my Father-in-Law is a retired plumber and still has an account with a local merchant.

I think it is similar to the Salus one, but has more programming options and as I say, it does the hot water too.

It works well – once it crapped out and lost the connection to the ‘stat. But we just did a ‘off and on again’, which fixed it and it’s not done it since. We’ve had it about 3 yrs.

It’s got a holiday setting so you can tell it to not come on for 7 days or however long and then it’ll kick back into life when you are due back.
    It also has an Extra Hour setting that works like a limited time ‘override’ for the heating and/or hot water. We use that function quite a lot.

It is very easy to program – guides you through most steps and you can copy a program from one day to the next, so programming the whole week is very easy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Wireless CH thermostat’ is closed to new replies.