Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless bridge/media server/print server – One device to do it all
  • samuri
    Free Member

Primarily, I want a wireless bridge to provide wired connections upstairs because it’ll be too difficult to run the cables from the router downstairs.

But that got me thinking, since I want a media server/NAS anyway…and a print server…. if one device could do the lot then it’d make sense to buy a doitall box.

So, anyone use anything like this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your doing anything serious with the NAS then you want that wired.

I have ended up with a router & a wireless switch on a hard wire gets wireless to all the house and wires to the important stuff.

samuri
    Free Member

Aye, everything using the NAS a lot will be wired into the same router upstairs in the study. I guess the exception will be the media box on the TV in the bedroom which will be connecting wirelessly…maybe. Not decided on that yet. I might just put a PVR on that TV.

The linux box, main computer and XBOX will all be wired into the router in the same room.

Looks like I’ve answered my own question anyway.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13588

sharkbait
    Free Member

Do you really mean a bridge (which connect two different networks)?

If I understand correctly you have a non-wireless router downstairs and want access upstairs with the addition of NAS and a print server.

If so you could get an Apple Airport Extreme (AE). You could create a wired connection from the AE to the router – this would then give you wifi all over the place. The AE also has two USB ports in the back so you can plug in a USB printer and it will then become a network printer; you can also plug a USB HD (or more if you use a simple USB hub) in and that then becomes a NAS device.

If your network coverage isn’t good enough (i.e. long thin house) then you can add one or more ‘normal Airport Expresses and they will seamlessly extend the existing wireless network.

Very simple and just works.

sm
    Free Member

What about using power on the mains? My sons bedroom had poor wireless coverage so I brought the Power over mains from maplins and its great.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Doesn’t do even half of what Samuri wants and actually more expensive if you’re buying a wireless powerline adapter and a standard one for the other end.
    I paid £50 delivered for a v4 (I think) airport extreme. Forgot to mention that the AE is also dual band so better for an environment with mixed devices such as phones and laptops.

samuri
    Free Member

@sharkbait The technical term for what I want would be a wireless hub/extender I guess wouldn’t it but bridge fits the scenario better. Yes, it’s an extension of the core network using wireless as the transmission. I need wired in the study and I’ve no desire to have a NAS box or printer in the living room where the router will be.

Virgin won’t put the Tivo box and phone in the living room and the router in the study because they’re too far apart.

I have considered power over ethernet and have been happy with this in the past but since the study is on a different ring to the living room, I’ve no guarantee that it will work through the consumer unit. I will probably use one to extend from this device into my son’s bedroom though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless bridge/media server/print server – One device to do it all’ is closed to new replies.