Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wireless adaptors for a PC
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

USB dongle or PCI card??

Reason being my Netgear WPN111 (Wireless G USB dongle) seems to think its ok to let my desktop PC have 2mbps when a cable will let it have 16mbps from my DSL router.
    Sadly a LAN cable isn’t convenient as a permanent connection, hence a wireless connection.
    Im leaning towards a PCI N card rather than another USB device.
    Any suggestions / recommendations please?
    THIA

allthepies
    Free Member

Wireless bridge ? Plugs into your ethernet LAN port and connects to your wireless network.

Loads on the ‘bay. Search for “wireless bridge” or “wireless gaming adapter”.

Will need a PSU though unless you get one which has a flying USB lead for power only.

PCI card prob. best solution.

scaredypants

a LAN cable isn’t convenient as a permanent connection

What about powerline connectors ?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve found the ether over power cables work very well, although they can be a bit expensive.

as an example….
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=ethernet+over+power+line&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=4261186300205112774&ei=Qk0kTZuPJILq3QSU74HxDg&sa=title&ved=0CAwQ8wIwATgA#p

But if you insist on wireless, a PCI card will probably better, much of a muchness after that.

rkk01
    Free Member

[hijack]

Wireless bridge ? Plugs into your ethernet LAN port and connects to your wireless network

Just searched those on amazon – damn they’re not cheap!!
    Ethernet ports on my Netgear n router have packed up, so it only works via wireless (without the desktop 😕 ).

New router would be cheaper for me

[/hijack]

_tom_
    Free Member

Novatech homeplugs are really good (and cheap compared to alternatives like netgear etc). More reliable and a bit faster than wireless in my experience. IF you must go wireless though, PCI is better.

bigyinn
    Free Member

HOW MUCH for powerline plugs? 😯

Think I’ll get a PCI card for £20….

woody2000

£44.99 with pass through at EBuyer (keep the power socket)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179960

Cougar

I would. If you’re buying it for 802.11n though, that’ll only work if your router supports it.

Before you spend cash, check you’re running the latest drivers and firmware for the dongle and latest firmware for the router (back up the config first). Try a different WiFi channel. Make sure the aerials are all perfectly vertical. Do you have other wireless devices, and if so do they work?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I was hoping you’d pop up on this Cougar!
    Router is on latest firmware (Netgear DG834v5)
    Dongle running latest drivers (couldnt find any firmware for it)
    Tried different WiFi channels (not detected any other WiFi around, so its not conjestion).
    Im going to try a different USB dongle tonight to see if that is any better.
    Im pretty certain its the dongle, as it would initially work at a decent speed, but the speed would drop within minutes as the device got warmer.

Otherwise PCI card for £20 will do me!

Cougar

Well quite. A sledgehammer is undoubtedly a better hammer than a claw hammer, but I wouldn’t want to knock in nails with one.

The acid test would be to see what other devices are doing; if it’s just that one device then a better card could help. Trying a different dongle is a good idea too.

Problem is, WiFi can be a PITA for weird symptoms. I had an intermittent fault with a PC here for ages, eventually nailed it down that if it was >here< on the desk then it worked perfectly, but if it was >there< on the desk then it was up and down like a yoyo with hiccups. Just happened to hit a blackspot in the room.

It’s stuff like this that makes me twitch when people go “this doesn’t work, what do I need to buy” because the follow-up question can easily be “I bought this because YOU TOLD ME TO and it still doesn’t work!!”

Cougar

As an aside, just thought.

Between it working and not working, has it changed ports? Are you now using an old USB 1.1 port or some ratty little extender hub?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indeed, hence why i have borrowed a spare USB dongle from work and have just downloaded drivers for it.
    Not spending out if theres no likely resolution just yet.

bigyinn
    Free Member

No same port on rear of MB (USB 2.0).
    The only time I got decent speed from it was when it was stone cold, as soon as it hotted up it went meh!
    Like I say im pretty sure its the dongle, but this eves experiments should prove that one way or another. Mwahahaha!

Cougar

Yeah, it’s broke, that.

woody2000

It’s entirely possible the USB port is not supplying the dongle with enough juice. I had similar issues on a laptop, using a dongle in a PC card. The card wasn’t supplying enough current to the adapter, as soon as I plugged an external power source into the PC card, everything was ok.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just searched those on amazon – damn they’re not cheap!!

around £20 on the ‘bay.

_tom_
    Free Member

HOW MUCH for powerline plugs?

Think these are what I’m using, £40 is pretty good for a reliable fast (well, faster than wireless) connection.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/networking/powerline/NOV-PL2.html

bigyinn
    Free Member

Following a lunchtime fiddle I can confirm it is the dongle, an alternative has given me 16mbps without any hassle whatsoever.
    PCI card here I come!
    Thanks all for your imput. I am disappointed that no one said it was because I wasn’t using a MAC, because MAC’s NEVER have problems. lol

takisawa2

I put one of THESE in our desktop about a month a go. Works well. Connects at 54mb through 1 stud & 1 block wall.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wireless adaptors for a PC’ is closed to new replies.