Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wired IP Security Camera stopping my wifi internet connection…help!
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

So I have one 2MP 1080P security camera…until recently I had this streaming to the cloud but now Angelcam have started to charge for storage I’ve bought an NVR.

I’ve connected it all up as follows:

Camera to Router via RJ45 cable
    Router to NVR via RJ45 cable

The NVR detected the camera and records/playback fine.

However, I can’t access the internet via wifi anymore.

Given that the router is a BT Home Hub 5 with 1GBit LAN ports I can’t see camera overloading the router.

Anyone any other thoughts? All configured via DHCP and there doesn’t appear to be an IP clash.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Can you:

a)ping yourself
    b)ping the gateway
    c)ping the camera
    d)NOT ping the camera if its unplugged
    e)resolve “geektools.com” via DNS?
    f)traceroute from the PC to geektools?

(I’m assuming you know how to do all of the above- if not, please let me know)

dooosuk
    Free Member

I know how to ping…have never resolved via DNS or tracerouted previously.

I can telnet to the camera.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I guess I just need to run to following from a cmd prompt:

nslookup geektools.com

and

tracert geektools.com

I’ll do that tonight and see what I get.

Thanks

somouk
    Free Member

Can you access the internet via a cable? You mention you can’t access it via wifi?

Cougar

Does the camera have a preconfigured static IP address?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Will need to check whether internet is accessible via cable tonight.

The wifi on the laptop appeared to be working whilst I was googling smtp ettings and other bits. The I shut it down, went to bed and no wifi on phone.

No, the camera doesn’t have a static IP address. It defaulted to .100 but at some point during the install it changed to .79.

Cougar

No, the camera doesn’t have a static IP address

Sorry, didn’t read properly, it’s not the camera that’s the problem. Does the NVR have a static IP address?

The wifi on the laptop appeared to be working whilst I was googling smtp ettings and other bits. The I shut it down, went to bed and no wifi on phone.

That’s not the same thing as “no Wi-Fi.” Ascertain which devices do and don’t work on Wi-Fi before going any further. Particularly, try the phone in the same location as the laptop.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll do some more playing tonight. Not sure on the NVR IP address.

There’s no wifi currently in the house anywhere on either my phone or the wife’s. I’ll check again with the laptop tonight.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The first thing I’d do would be to power all devices down (including the router) then switch the router back on after 5 minutes, wait a couple of minutes for the router to sort itself out and then switch all the other devices back on, one by one.
    that should rule out any IP conflicts.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So, I’ve powered everything off and powered it back on in the following order:

Router
    Camera

I logged onto the router and checked the connections. I can see the wired connection to the camera. Wifi working fine on phone and laptop (although bizarrely Chrome no longer works…it did last night…but Firefox is working).

Turned on NVR and the problems start again.

Strangely I can’t see the NVR listed as connected on the router. The DHCP table shows no entry for the NVR and the Home Network diagram shows a 100Mb/s under the LAN port the NVR is plugged into but no device name/IP/connection status like I see for the camera. It’s obviously detected something as the empty LAN ports don’t have 100mb/s shown.

I can ping the camera.
    I can ping the router.
    I can ping the NVR (I’m guessing the IP is 192.168.1.80 as that’s what I’ve set on the Network screen of the NVR s/w)

DNS lookup:
    C:\Users\Andy>nslookup geektools.com
    Server: BThomehub.home
    Address: 192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: geektools.com
    Address: 204.74.78.71

C:\Users\Andy>tracert geektools.com

Tracing route to geektools.com [204.74.78.71]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 16 ms 7 ms 11 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * 11 ms 18 ms 31.55.185.181
    4 14 ms 12 ms 11 ms 31.55.185.188
    5 19 ms 18 ms 11 ms 195.99.127.116
    6 20 ms 15 ms 11 ms core4-hu0-1-0-0.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.12
    7.50]
    7 10 ms 18 ms 11 ms 213.137.183.100
    8 12 ms 16 ms 12 ms 40ge1-3.core1.lon2.he.net [195.66.224.21]
    9 81 ms 97 ms 89 ms 100ge1-1.core1.nyc4.he.net [72.52.92.166]
    10 148 ms 94 ms 98 ms 100ge11-2.core1.ash1.he.net [184.105.223.165]
    11 139 ms 119 ms 109 ms 100ge8-2.core1.atl1.he.net [184.105.213.69]
    12 134 ms 135 ms 192 ms 100ge12-1.core1.dal1.he.net [184.105.81.170]
    13 149 ms 166 ms 144 ms 100ge4-2.core1.phx2.he.net [184.105.81.173]
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.

Any ideas? Definitely seems it’s something with the NVR as everything works when it’s powered off.

I don’t have any port forwarding set or anything like that.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Has the NVR got a wifi adaptor & a cable connection?

If so, can you disable the wifi adaptor, connect the NVR via cable and see if wifi works on other devices (assuming the NVR can be configured directly)?

When it’s in the “problem” configuration, can you connect from the laptop to the router management screen via wifi (but not the internet)?

Maybe factory reset the NVR – could be the IP settings are messed up.

Is this a branded product or a item of unknown providence (can you get firmware updates for it)?

dooosuk
    Free Member

The NVR is connected via cable, no wireless.

It’s a Szsinocam Chinese special, although to be fair the instructions for setup are clear and understandable. The software auto detected the camera etc. and installation went smoothly…apart from this side effect. Main problem is my lack of understanding…it seems a reasonable bit of kit for under £30.

I think I’ve fixed the issue now though. I found a screen on the NVR which had DHCP disabled. I’ve enabled it and the router can see the NVR, it’s IP and it’s connection status.

Wireless seems to be behaving as well.

Thanks for the help folks, I’ve learned a few new things on the way.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wired IP Security Camera stopping my wifi internet connection…help!’ is closed to new replies.