Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wire Tying and Soldering spokes on 29er wheels, worth it?
  • c_klein87

I made the mistake of having a chris king hub built up on crest rims with quite thin gauge spokes, and it has a habit of loosing spoke tension very easily, due to soft rim, low spoke tension etc, will it make any difference wire tying and soldering the cross-overs in the spoke to help increase the rigidity of the wheel? I believe roadies are keen on it but not seen many mtb’ers doing it?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Why not rebuild it with better spokes? Does sound a bit odd – I would have thought you might get a bit of flex or the odd broken spoke but to loose tension?

michaelbowden

I have had this problem with Stans rims and alloy spoke nipples. Make sure the wheel builder uses thread lock or similar to stop them loosening

matthew_h
    Free Member

Sounds like a poor build without enough stretching and tensioning done.

Who built the wheel for you? A good builder shouldn’t let you take a wheel that comes loose.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

I swapped DT supercomp spokes on an 29er arch build to DT comps and the difference was night and day.

c_klein87

my last resort is to get it rebuilt, reluctant due to cost of build and spokes, and unsure who would cover it. as far as i know they didn’t use threadlock, they just blame me for choosing thin gauge spokes, despite them being wheel builders who know more than me..

just wanted to try it before going down the respoking route

matthew_h
    Free Member

Tieing and soldering a bad wheel build will not really help though as it is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. I wouldn’t tie them unless the spokes were all perfectly tensioned and the wheel perfectly true so you may as well get them rebuilt anyway.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

I always slightly overtension and use threadlock on Stans builds as the lower spoke tensions they specify generally result in wheels that lose tension quickly with the flex.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wire Tying and Soldering spokes on 29er wheels, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.