Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wire across footpath
  • simmy
    Free Member

Just been out for a quick ride before work, OK been on a bit of a cheeky trail, but nearly crashed into a strip of sliver steel wire across a field entrance.

I know I know shouldnt really have been there etc, the wire was about head tube height and I saw it last minute as I was only doing about 5 mph

Surely this should have some kind of hi vis warning or something on it ? There’s a stile at the side, but walkers could easily walk straight into the wire as its just there hanging across the entrance.

I’m not going to complain about nearly hitting it with the bike as its a cheeky footpath but if it was a child’s face………

jameso

local ROW officer needs to know.

mrelectric

Police too.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Was it part of an electric fence?

simmy
    Free Member

Was it part of an electric fence?

No, it was hooked over the posts either end and just seemed to be a makeshift gate 😯

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Did you do something to make it more obvious?

ROW officer might be interested – bu as it’s beside a stile there is a chance what you nearly hit is a legitimate fence. (albeit a stupid and dangerous one)

simmy
    Free Member

No just left it.

Looks like its straight across the entrance he’d put the tractor through so, for want of a better phrase, a makeshift gate.

Just couldn’t see it as its on top of a slight incline and was just against the grey sky. Scared me a bit as I’d not seen it.

It’s just hooked over the fence posts both ends.

scrumfled
    Free Member

is it actually a right of way, or is it just the entrance to a farmers field……

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP this sounds like it’s OK to me. Stile provides proper footpath access and the farmer/landowner has a temporary fence extension which he can remove to gain access to his field.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

could benefit from some bits of string/grass/carrier bag tied around it to make it moe obvious – next time you’re passing…

porlus
    Free Member

Sounds to me like its a make shift fence installed by the farmer. Plenty of them round my area. Gap in the dry stone/exising barrier with a length of cable/wire running between. If you tried to ride through its naturally going to be head tube height. Without seeing this, I dont think its malicious.

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah it’s defiantly a right of way as there are small signs from the council on the post the wire attaches to.

I don’t think for a minute its malicious, just a bit dangerous as there are no warning tapes or anything on it.

Edric64
    Free Member

You should not have been there and there is a stile for walkers ,your problem is what exactly?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wire across footpath’ is closed to new replies.