• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by oink1.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • WIP- balance bike fabrication
  • breadcrumb

For a long time now I’ve wanted to build my own frame, just never found the time to do so.

However now I’m a dad I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to have a go whilst making my daughter’s first bike.

As with a lot of my projects it’s fitting them in around everything else but it’s taking shape now so I’ll share a few photos.

I’ve acquired a donor bike for the wheels, grips and saddle.

For the forks I’ve shortened a set of old Kona Project 2 forks. I’ll get a photo of them when I get chance.

Frame taking shape-

Excuse the crude jig, it was quickly knocked up to get the ball rolling.

And as it stands at the moment-

Next job is bracing the seat tube to the top tubes, then the frame can be welded up.

I’ll be adding some kind of steering limiter too.

Might see if can pick up a blingy headset when it comes to the build.

I’ll update as I go, won’t be the quickest build though.

stevied
    Free Member

Looks great! Keep the updates coming 🙂

jamj1974

Love it!

BearBack
    Free Member

Super.. but, I’d suggest not adding a steering limiter. Reason being that kids won’t be able to do standing bar spins once they see the movies.
    My two are 5 and 6… They still use the 12″ run bike for pretending they can do slopestyle stuff 😉
    They both ride 20″ bikes on the trails,16″ for much information a out on jumps but the 12″ run bike isn’t obsolete yet.

kayak23

Looks fantastic.. 🙂

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Love this. Great work, just don’t get too upset when the inevitable scrapes happen!

RustyMac

Like this a lot. Top work.

hooli

I love threads like this, please keep us updated.

mick_r

I warn you now it won’t end with one bike – this is just the beginning 🙂

My youngest is just growing out of his 26″ wheel frame that I made (3 years ago so has lasted well). Bit sad that I don’t need to make another as we have enough small adult frames for his next couple of MTBs.

monkeyboyjc

Love threads like this – double thumbs up

breadcrumb

Thanks for the interest.

My idea for a steering limiter will be removable, so bar spins are still a possibility 😉

I’m hoping this will be the first of many frames.

northernmatt

If you do want to put a steering limiter on I have a spare Islabikes headset somewhere which has it built in. Not sure if that would work with your tube size though.

breadcrumb

Thanks for the offer Matt, I’ll see how my plan pans out.

Got most of the welding done, just a little left.

Stoner
    Free Member

*frantically smashes “Like” button*

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Missed this on the original posting. Looks brilliant, I’ll even forgive the partial destruction of the project II forks 🙂 Are you going to let your daughter pick the colourscheme?

breadcrumb

Don’t think of it as partial destruction, more a second chance.

She’s just turned 8 months, but by the time it’s ready for paint she may be able to pick a colour. The wheels and saddle are? neon pink, so pretty much any bright colour a go I think.

breadcrumb

Project two forks welded up-

Still a little polishing to lessen the flat spots were the canti mounts have been.

One of the bosses has a 8mm thread, so I’ve created a new standard of 8*50 bolt through.

Think I’ll refinish the forks in black and try a source some new P2 decals.

breadcrumb

Hopefully adding a photo with imgur, seeing as photobucket have stopped photo sharing.

oink1
    Free Member

Last one works ok 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘WIP- balance bike fabrication’ is closed to new replies.