Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • "winterizing" cycling shoes
  • brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced some giro shoes with another pair of giro shoes and I’m thinking about saving the new ones for best and dry weather and using the old ones for commuting and wet weather.
    is there an effective way of making a pair of shoes more weatherproof aside from the use of overshoes? effectively making them into a winter boot?
    Can they be sealed to stop the ingress of water? both the uppers and underneath where the cleats are?
    Even with overshoes on mine are still a bit leaky.

joshvegas
    Free Member

insert foot into sealskin sock insert besocked foot into shoe

eddiebaby
    Free Member

+1

scotroutes

If they are tight fitting shoes then a Sealkin will likely cause constriction, reducing blood flow and thus ending up with cold feet. The Gore socks are much much thinner and might just work. Either way, I reckon that for winter you need an insulation layer too so a pair of shoes at least one size larger is required.

langylad
    Free Member

In really wet weather my sealskins used to not only restrict blood flow but also fill with water like a balloon. Bloody awful things, my feet got so cold it was like torture. I now use my summer road shoes with neoprene overs and Maplin heated insoles. Still get cold feet but it is more bearable than before. Aahh the curse of bad circulation.

2orangey4crows

Gaffa tape over any breathing holes. Neoprene socks. Win.

brakes
    Free Member

I hate thick socks so I think sealskinz are a no-no.
    I wondered whether I could use sealant in the soles and spray some kind of glue on the outers to seal any seams.
    It’s more waterproofing than coldproofing.

scotroutes

That’ll pretty much stop any water getting….

…out.

daver27
    Free Member

gaffa tape the sole so water doesn’t creep in the bottom and combine with warm wool socks (wollie Boolies for example) as natural wool stays warm when wet.

Yak

I used to stick cut-up bits of old inner-tube over my shoes for similar effect. Sort of worked, but all the adhesives I used would fail over the course of a few rides. Hard snow rips them off in one ride.

When they were still stuck on, they did help though.

edit- as above – always gaffa tape over the cleat hole inside the shoe too.

duncancallum

Plasti dip them with your feet in them?

Fully waterproof in two easy steps.

brakes
    Free Member

I do wear merino socks – they were a revelation.
    Not sure where I’m supposed to gaffer tape the sole…

Yak

Pull up the insole, and then put gaffa tape over the flappy cut-out that gives access to the cleat nut.

lucien

Sandwich bags as socks, sounds well wrong but works a treat – for cold and wet feet

Yak

That’s reminded me – another tip if you do have some too-thick sealskins is to take the insoles out to give some more volume to the shoe and stop it getting too tight.

brakes
    Free Member

Plastic bags on your feet is the worst idea ever your feet just slip around in the shoes, it feels weird.
    I’m not sure that my shoes have a flappy cut out bit inside…

mieszko
    Free Member

It might not be the answer you are looking for, but the best thing I ever did is buy Shimano MW80 Gore Tex winter boots. No cold or wet feet in winter/autumn ever again. Proper insulated and mostly waterproof boots (the neoprene cuff is only water resistant). Well made too, still look good after 4 winters. They are not cheap, however nothing really matches up. I tried merino sock and various kinds of overshoes, but like you said even good overshoes will let water in if you stand in a puddle or a wet grassy field. My MW80’s cost around 60 or 70GBP in a sale and outlived two pairs of Endura MT500 overshoes (one of the most solid overhoes I tried) which are almost 30GBP a pair. Should have bought the MW80’s instead of spending almost 60 quid on overshoes.

Options on using tape, plastic bags, gore tex socks etc, might be the cheap temporary option but for overall comfort proper winter boots are IMHO best.

lucien

brakes – Member
    Plastic bags on your feet is the worst idea ever your feet just slip around in the shoes, it feels weird.
    I’m not sure that my shoes have a flappy cut out bit inside…

POSTED 17 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

With socks, obviously 😛

brakes
    Free Member

mieszko, thanks.
    I think you’re probably right.
    winter boots never seem to be in the sale though, especially not this time of year!

scruff9252

For winter shoes, how about changing to flats and getting a cheap pair of water proof hiking boots?

corroded
    Free Member

Best investment I ever made was buying a pair of Shimano MT91 winter boots. I actually look forward to putting them on. No way would winterised shoes compare, sandwich bags/gaffa tape or not. The boots have lasted years so it’s a justifiable expense.

Woodentop
    Free Member

On some 5-10 Low Impacts I put some press studs in them (1 at the front and back and 1 on each side)then bought some XL Neoprene diving socks, cut the soles out then added the press studs.
    They cover the whole shoe but leaves the soles open to use with flat pedals. This will be my second winter with them, they work ideal for me.

Speshpaul

Ok that’s get real with costs here-
    you will be VERY lucky to find MW81 for less then £100 in a common size.

You can how every buy Planet X overshoes for a tenner.
    The are easy to put on and keep your feet warm, and pretty dry.

Now I have spoken several times about MW81 boots – and I will again
    Mine fell apart and Madison said it was because we had had a wet winter. and wouldn’t replace them.
    So bare in mind that shimano winter boots don’t do winters according to Madison.

crosshair
    Free Member

Sainsburys carrier bags do the trick. They do feel odd but it works a treat.

MSP

as natural wool stays warm when wet.

No it doesn’t, water transmits heat away from the body, it is just that some other materials are worse.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Cut the hands of a pair of rubber gloves and use the cuffs to seal the tops of your boots where most water gets in as you peddal. Tescos have black ones that are ideal.

butcher

In my experience plastic bags sandwiched between two socks are OK for short rides. Maybe up to an hour. But they’re obviously not breathable at all. I deemed this unimportant, not being a very sweaty person, and feet don’t really sweat, do they..? I learned that they do. Go for an all day ride in carrier bags and you’ll be wrinkled like a prune by the time you return.

Planet X overshoes are a massive improvement over summer shoes and an absolute bargain to boot. However, you will look like Napoleon Dynamite, and they will let water in given enough rain. They will delay it considerably though, and help stop the wind chilling your feet too.

Now I have spoken several times about MW81 boots – and I will again
    Mine fell apart and Madison said it was because we had had a wet winter.

Currently considering winter boots and these and Northwaves seem to be the main contenders, so I’m interested, what fell apart on them?

goodgrief
    Free Member

*winterise

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Cut the hands of a pair of rubber gloves and use the cuffs to seal the tops of your boots where most water gets in as you peddal. Tescos have black ones that are ideal.<

This.

‘cos it doesn’t matter how good your boots are – they all have muckle big holes in the top 😉

Speshpaul

“what fell apart on them?”

the stitching on the main body and the material on the cuff split.

My old shimano boots (M100) lasted about 8 years, so I was pretty shocked that their replacements started to fall apart after 2 winters.

dannyh
    Free Member

Buy Shimano AM41/45. Wear thermal socks that are still warm when they get wet. Job done.

I’m not a fan of sealskinz, your feet still end up wet when you sweat and I don’t like how much they come to resemble army issue thick canvas after a while.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘"winterizing" cycling shoes’ is closed to new replies.