Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Winter/Fun 29"/650b hardtail?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m looking for a secondhand hardtail for the winter, but not really sure what’s good & what’s not out there at the moment.

Something with a bit more of a trail bias, not really interested in a head down, arse up, lycra fest.

I guess probably a 29”, dropper post compatible & that’s about as far as my requirements go.

All I seem to have come up with so far is something like a Trek Stache? What else am I missing out on? Genesis steel something or other? Cotic Solaris?

Edit to say – no point in discounting 650b – I have some nice, spare wheels I could use.

ton

I bought a parkwood a few years ago for such reasons. it was ace.

breninbeener

Solaris is great. Banshee Paradox is also a fab bike.

jekkyl

budget?
    what material are you are after?

there’s been a few 29ers in the classifieds of late.
    The orange clockwork goes for good prices 2nd hand.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Budget is fairly open – it’s hardtail so it’s never going to break the bank.

Maybe 3-4-500 for the frame?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Bizango is reduced to £480 excluding Topcashback, if its your cup of tea.

GolfChick
    Free Member

If you’re open to 650B in a rate what you ride fashion, I recommend a stanton switchback. Definitely has the trail bias as it’s a blast to ride.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m building up a Commencal Meta AM HT over Christmas. Missus bought me the frame from a mate.

Not sure how good they are as I’ve not had a proper hardtail since my Hoodoo 🙂

Looking forward to it as it’ll be nice having a spare bike just in case.

craig24
    Free Member

Parkwood and then you have the choice of 27+ and 29er.

NormalMan

If you are thinking 650b then the Bird Zero is worth looking at I’d have thought.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Zero TR looks pretty much where I was aiming for. The Stantons & that breed of HT is probably not for me – they are taking it too close to me 160mm travel bike in terms of geometry.

The only issue with the Bird is the offensive graphics.

Chromag Wideangle looks sensible too, apart from maybe the weight.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just ordered an Onza payoff as a 40th present to me. Looks cool, 27.2 post though

chakaping
    Free Member

The 29in Stache was a good bike but a bit short if you’re used to modern frame geometry.

I replaced mine with a Boardman Pro 29er when Halfords were doing 20% off (plus BC 10% off). It’s got 435mm chainstays, a 68.5deg head angle and reach of about 435mm in large – which I find quite adequate with a 60mm stem and 760mm bar.

More of a trail bike than a hardcore HT, but I only had to upgrade the wheels and bar and it’s a really good bike.

mboy
    Free Member

Check out the Whyte 629. Comes in at £1050, long low and slack, 1×11, 120mm fork, tubeless rims etc and stealth dropper compatible. I’ve got last years (which isn’t quite as long low slack) that I then customised somewhat, and it’s been ace!

Or if sticking with 650b then the 901/905/909 series…

fathomer

If 650 isn’t out of the question, what about a Soul, or the Stanton Slackline which is made for a 120mm fork I think? A bit different and marmite looks wise but the Stif Morph.

BadlyWiredDog

Sonder Transmitter – run B+ or straight 650b – or it’ll work as a 29er also according to the Bikeradar review – not super bling, but a really fun bike. And 300 quid frame only.

warns74
    Free Member

johnw1984 – Member
    I’m building up a Commencal Meta AM HT over Christmas. Missus bought me the frame from a mate.
    Not sure how good they are as I’ve not had a proper hardtail since my Hoodoo

Just finished mine ready for the winter (even thought it’s bone dry!) and very happy with it. Just need to cut the steerer down.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The Slackline is a great bike to ride….I’m on my third now!

I borrowed a Slackline for two weeks and it was a lovely thing to ride. Their 853 frames are lovely, so I wouldn’t rule out a Sherpa either…I have a few mates with them and they all love them (including one chap who went Ti back to steel).

Isn’t the Bird pretty darn long and slack?

funkmasterp

Utterly shameless, not even remotely stealth ad.

I’m having to sell my Trans AM 29er (need a new front door). 2014 model bought new last October. Only ridden in anger five times and occasionally used for pootling about. Reverb bought and fitted in July along with new SLX brakes and ice tech rotors. Size medium frame. SRAM X5/X7 drivetrain bits, Hope headset. Bloody love it, but left with no option other than to sell.

Shameless advertisement over!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I am having thoughtbud about a ‘trail’ orientated 29+ carbon hardtail. Do they exist?

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

chromag rootdown or stylus available at good prices in budget here

https://www.shore-lines.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

jaylittle
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a bird zero TR and it’s amazing. Was worried about going 1×11 as I’m not the fittest but I actually feel faster.

jfb01
    Free Member

2 Souls QuarterHorse,very playful with both 120 or 140 mm forks.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Transition TransAm 29 would be a good shout, it’s a bit fanboy to have 2 Transitions though.

Lots to choose from it looks like.

ceepers

FWIW I have a trans am 27.5 and came from a soul 26. I too like transitions and have a bandit too.

Anyway, the trans am is really fun to ride. It’s heavier than the soul was and arguably less springy steel feel going on. It climbs fine and it’s pretty damn quick down hill – more stable than the soul for sure although the geometry is still a little “short” by current trends. and it’s easy to chuck around corners too. I can’t fault it and its embarrassed a couple of mates on FS bikes on a few occasions.

I’d imagine the 29er would be good fun too although maybe a bit portly/ bombproof compared to other things

kimbers

Kona Honzo!! on the lookout for an ally one myself …

funkmasterp

Trans AM 29er is definitely bombproof, but is also quick and puts a massive grin on your face.

jonnym92

Recommend what you own.. I built up a Pace RC127 to be a fun winter bike and I’ve ended up riding it a lot more often than I thought I would. Great fun.
    Steel and top of your budget but a very nice, no nonsense frame.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Had my zero tr since August and really can’t fault it, love the long tt and short stem, feels great up, down and along, jumps nicely…

Getting the bike already set up tubeless, with no leaks was a real bonus too!

adambarton

Nukeproof Scout? I have both the 650b and 29er version……ride the 29er the most though. Love it

Cheezpleez

Niner ROS 9 is rather nice. I’d look ot for one of them.

batman11
    Free Member

What about production privee. Oka is 27.5 and the new about to be released Shan GT 29er. Also orange crush got one like it all though am about to go try a 29er hardtail this winter myself.

Andy_K

I’ve just ordered a 29″ Nukeproof Scout, looks very nice!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Winter/Fun 29"/650b hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.