Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Winterberg, Germany
  • andermt
    Free Member

Staying near Winterberg this August for a week and wondered if anyone had been?

Seem the pics and video’s of the bike park so think most of that will be a bit too downhill for me (and a 100mm Anthem). is it really that severe or is there other stuff?

More importantly what is the XC/Singletrack like in the area, seen a few loops on the gps trail sites but they don’t tell you what it’s like or how interesting they are, just that they exist.

MSP

Only the downhill course is severe, the other tracks are quite manicured, bermy whooshy with a few jumps and tabletops but s short travel full suss will be fine for most of it.

andermt
    Free Member

Cheers, Have you ventured onto the local trails?

dan45a
    Free Member

DH course is the proper job. I hired a DH bike for the day and loved it. Cost was very reasonable.

There’s a few 4x or BMX type courses as well. very smooth.

The freeride area has some crazy drops.

Not sure about singletrack trails as spent all day at the bike park. Well worth a visit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Out of curiosity I just checked out the website

My question is – why don’t we have anything like that here in the UK ?

MSP

The lifts were installed for skiing, and are now being used in the summer for biking.

There are a few places up in Scotland where the same has happened.

I am not sure why skiing is seen as worthy of requiring such investment when biking isn’t.

dan45a
    Free Member

I think its because we don’t have te permenant ski lifts.

When I was there you can see a lot of winter sports infrastructure, suppose this lends itself to mountian biking in the summer just like in the alps.

There is hope though, with blaenau Ffestiniog bike park almost open and he plan to build one at Gethin woods Merthyr.

nashwaymule
    Free Member

I was there in May rode my Yeti 575 hard for 3 days it was more than enough bike for everything.
    Good points
    All the courses are very progressive yes they have big stuff and some stupid stuff but you have the little stuff next to it to work on your technique and you build up to the bigger stuff.
    during the week its quiet (no queues)
    4 courses all are quite short you end up sessioning them alot
    Giro (berms and little table tops)
    4X waste of time
    Continental bit of board walk and quite progressive into fun park
    DH track you can ride this on anything watched a crazy german ride it on an XC hardtail with the saddle up round his ears he survived.
    Bad points
    Its small and at weekends gets very busy
    in the wet the board walk is very slippy

I didn’t go and ride any of the XC as was there to ride the uplift stuff, the one German I spoke to about said you need a guide for the “good stuff”

Good luck the town is nice make sure you go to the Irish bar they like a drink and the steaks are epic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks @MSP and @dan45a

Didn’t seem big enough or in a cold enough place for skiing when I looked online. I had wondered whether it was MTB specific.

andermt
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses, sounds like the bike park should be fun on the anthem, I’ll dig around online for some more trails before I go.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Winterberg, Germany’ is closed to new replies.