Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter/all terrain tyres for a CRV
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Need to replace 3 out of 4 tyres as they are getting pretty worn (mk2 crv).

Currently running Bridgestone Dualers all year round

Was considering fitting a set if something a bit more off roady like a BF Goodrich All terrain…

Anyone got any good recomendations for price/performance of a tyre that will work well in the grease and slop of winter but still be ok next summer without adding 20db!

peajay

Just said to my wife, it’s amazing how this forum almost reads my mind!
    I’m due a set of 4 on my crv and I’m not sure whether to stick with the oe michelins that are lasting better than expected almost 20k miles a set or stick on some winter tyres as I’m going to be doing more miles between now and March ferrying one of my daughters all over the country to netball matches.
    What’s the verdict are winter tyres worth while? In the Highlands,
    PJ.

jimkart
    Free Member

I bought a set of forged wheels wrapped with Nitto Motivo tires from 4wheelonline. these tires are superb and budget friendly.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If it’s just for road use a winter road tyre will be better than a bfg at.

You’ll need to change 4 rather than 3 though.

spooky_b329

The big blocked mud tyres like BF All Terrains will do OK in deep dry snow, but for cold frosty tarmac, icy slush and wet snow, they will be terrible.

If you want something with an aggressive tread for mud as well as winter, get something like the Nokian Weatherproof (all-season). If you want an well rounded tyre get the Crossclimate.

Winter tyres work because of the rubber compound and multiple sipes cut into the tyre, offroad tyres do not feature these. I always run all-season tyres but this time I got General Tire Grabber AT’s, I do not expect them to do well in winter at all, but I don’t need it for snow anymore, just summer and mud.

spooky_b329

PS Winter or all-seasons tyres will be quieter than the Deullers

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone rrcommend a good winter tyre then?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I used to run Bridgestone Dualers and I thought they were pretty poor. A friend recommend Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons and they are fantastic. I have a pick up so the back end can be a bit twitchy but these tyres are great. I drive all over the Highlands in winter and they have never let me down. Also price is pretty good.

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/pirelli/scorpion-verde-all-season#anchorAllReviews

Try your local indy tyre place though, they are generally cheaper than online.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Anyone rrcommend a good winter tyre then?

The mrs’ Yaris goes on Yokohama W-drive in the winter. They’ve done admirably in wet/slush/snow. They’ve climbed some pretty steep hills in the snow that I’m sure would have had me reaching for the diff lock if I’d been in the landy.

Anything will be better than Duelers – they are an awful tyre.

I had BFG AT KO2’s on my Navara. Great in muddy fields/solar farms etc, but not the grippiest on wet roads. Never had any nasty winter conditions, but they did have three peak Snowflake rating. They robbed me of around 5mpg though.

Reasonably happy with the Continental Cross Contact LX that come standard on my ranger – infinitely better than Duelers

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m watching this cos I need 2 for the front of an Xtrail.

Kryton57

We have the newer Pirelli Scorpions on our Kuga, found as part of my frugal/performance balanced search on BlackCircles.

Seem to work well here in the London ‘burbs when a small layer of snow appears or an exit from a Gorrick/Rugby Club overload Car Park is needed. 🙂

welshfarmer

Been looking for something similar for my van. The Nokians and the Vredesteins look about the best compromise

https://www.reifen.com/en/TyreSize/List/OffroadAllyear/225-70-R16

jam-bo

i’m praying for snow now I’ve got some crossclimates fitted to my A3 quattro…

Jakester
    Free Member

Hmm, I had a flat on the M4 last night and found that the spare on my (new-to-me) Forester was bald, so it’s looking like four new tyres on the horizon.

The OEM is a Yokohama Geolandar, which seems quite pricey for what it is.

Any recommendations for replacement? I see Crossclimates are currently being touted as the bee’s knees, but they’re hella expensive (£30 – 40 per corner compared to the Geolandars.

We occasionally get snow and have to get off muddy/wet fields so a premium ‘track’ tyre probably doesn’t make sense (Eagle F1 etc!).

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Anything will be better than Duelers – they are an awful tyre.

so true

pictonroad

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC. YOU NEVER KNOW…

or more seriously, I had BFG AT’s on my camper, didn’t think they were that noisy, great grip on filthy back roads and tracks. Might be overkill if you’re always on A roads.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We found All Terrains and Duellers (especially) terrible in snow & ice (2 x Shoguns and we used to drive to Alps a couple of times each winter). I had an Audi Quattro with standard road Continentals and it was far superior.

OP I would look at something like Michelin Cross-Climates or something from Hankook ? There are plenty of threads here with STWer based in Northern England and Scotland.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter/all terrain tyres for a CRV’ is closed to new replies.