Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter wellies…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon,
    Will be needing a new pair of boots for this winter, had a pair of leather riggers for the last 3 years but they are now dead, like that parrot! Normal wellies don’t cut it as my feet sweat like mad then freeze, even had a pair of skeetek boots that didn’t work for me. So what’s the way forward? Muck boots? Another pair of riggers or just get some new walking boots? I will be out winter fishing if that’s of any help…
    Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, down on the river, Le Chameau Vierzonords are de rigeur.
    😉

They’re also very good. Neoprene lined. Comfy as a comfy thing.

maccruiskeen

I bought a pair of firefighers boots – much the same as rigger boots but have bit more structure to them compared to bog standard riggers (which tend to go quite saggy with wear). Good grip in mud, waterproof enough for wading about in (I’m sure they must get overcome by water eventually, being leather but it hasn’t happened yet) and a goretex-like lining keeps them from being clammy. Warmer than wellies when it counts without being too warm for summer and a good well shaped sole and insole to be comfy all day.

daftvader
    Free Member

And kin expensive CFH ! I’m not an international paperclip salesman you know!!!

daftvader
    Free Member

Will Give the firefighters wellies s look ta

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

Actually, DV, just remembered something. Email incoming!

sweepy
    Free Member

If you have enormous feet I might have just the thing for you.
    Some original bata Micky mouse boots. I took a chance on some size 13s and they are **** huge, but super warm and waterproof. Too big for me.

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks sweepy but size 11

maccruiskeen

Will Give the firefighters wellies s look ta

Leather boots rather than wellies. I think Hiax tend to be the favourite but can be pretty pricy – mine are by Tuffking. A naughty ebay seller listed them as Hiax and I was going to get narky until I realised that the fit me really well and for the price I paid they were still a good deal

daftvader
    Free Member

I used to have haix chainsaw boots. Lovely fit, but bloody expensive. If possible I’d like to spend less than £100

monde
    Free Member

Aigle Parcours Iso.

Live in these in the winter and have found them hardwearing and warm with the neoprene. Also comfy!

Decent price on amazon at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aigle-Parcours-Unisex-Adults-Wellington-Boots/dp/B008M6ISXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474726845&sr=8-1&keywords=aigle%2Biso%2B2&th=1

maccruiskeen

You might just track down some Hiax for around £100 – sometimes as surplus stock on eBay. Brix (the self proclaimed 4th largest workwear store in Monaghan) stock a lot of their stuff at good value too although you need to covert from Euros.

Tuffkings you should be able to pick up for £30 – £50

CraigW
    Free Member

Grubs Boots. Very warm, and a bit cheaper than Muck Boots etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Proven to be Farmtastic.

Muckboots.

giant_scum
    Free Member
    timber

Heard quite a few good things about Grubs boots. Choice of thicknesses and soles.
    Wife has some of the fairly standard, but purple, ones.
    Dunlop Purofort for me at home.

velofeather
    Free Member

I work outside all year round in all conditions and have tried all the high end wellies, and there are some great ones out there, if you are a gamekeeper or for those chilly winter shoots most are great from the likes of Chameau or Aigle, but for actual everyday outdoor work the best boot I have found is the Dunlop Purofort, used in artic conditions, oil rigs etc they are just so comfy, warm, reasonably cheap and easy to actually put on if you have beefy calf’s, plus steel toecap. Been using them for 5 years now (on 2nd pair) and I love them, warm super comfy and add about 3 inches to your height! Think they are called Purofort explorer or Thermo+ now.

CountZero

+1 with bikebuoy regarding the Muckboots, they do safety versions too, IIRC. I wear thin M&S socks with neoprene boot socks over the top; good for eight or nine mile winter walks…
    These:
    http://www.outlandsales.co.uk/product.php/294/dickies_bama_boot_socks
    Probably available from a builder’s merchants near you.

daftvader
    Free Member

I reckon I am going to give the grubs a go. I can’t abide the thought of wearing dunlops again. I have awful memories of chillblanes as a kid after wearing Dunlop greens one winter….. Thanks for all the suggestions!

benp1

Muck boots for sure

daftvader
    Free Member

well i went to try some grub boots on and the usual thing happened… 5 min of walking round the shop and my feet were freezing… back to the drawing board. 😕

CountZero

well i went to try some grub boots on and the usual thing happened… 5 min of walking round the shop and my feet were freezing… back to the drawing board.

Which is why I suggest getting a pair or two of the Dickies boot socks, put thin-ish wool socks on inside them and they make a big difference.
    And five minutes just strolling around in a shop is a useless test; if you’re not wearing the right socks, your feet will be cold to start with, and you’re not moving enough for your feet to actually warm up!
    I wear my Muck Boots in the depths of winter, when the ground is frozen or sodden and wet, and I’ll happily do five, six or more miles, just wearing M&S cotton-rich sport socks with my neoprene boot socks over the top, and after ten minutes my feet are toasty, and stay that way.
    Using a foam kneeling pad I carry around, I’ve sat on the edge of a small stone bridge in December with my feet in the water for a half hour or so, and my feet didn’t feel cold at all.

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks CZ, I do know what I’m doing with socks 😀 Just can’t wear wool as I’m allergic to it, even through a liner. I went with warm feet in thermal socks and the 5 min walk is a good tried and tested method for me. I’m probably going to go for a pair of high leg leather boots with insulation…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Never had cold feet in my Muckies.

And that’s clearing Cow Shite out of the shed in deepest winter, then walking around 70acres trying (in vein) to round up 300 bloody stubborn sheep.

All I use is a pair of silk liners, then merino socks over the top of them.

andyha
    Free Member

Sievi fire fighter boots, on to my second pair for work. Great boots got the second pair new on eBay. Leather, gore Tex lining.

properbikeco
    Free Member

These are the business

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/sibir-300-warm-wellies-id_8159856.html

I’ve been wearing wellies for over 30 years and these are the best I’ve ever had.

Bargain price too

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter wellies…’ is closed to new replies.