Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Winter Tyres New or Retreads – Opinions?
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

Looking at getting a set of 16″ winter wheels/tyres for my folks’ car to replace the 18″ jobbies. (They clear the calipers etc)

THis Ebay seller does Retreads for £500 or New for £600.

Both seem like decent deals and it states the retreads have 10-11mm tread depth and the new ones 8-9mm.

Any thoughts?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I recently bought a set of 17″ alloys from a scrapyard, ok condition for £50 (few scuffs but winter wheels) and brand new conti winter tyres from local garage for £440 for the set including fitting.

thought that was a good deal, However it was last summer when winter tyres weren’t in demand.

andyl
    Free Member

have you checked the price of winter tyres at mytyres etc? I’d pick up some steel wheels from the scrappy or alloys off ebay and get some new good brand ones.

jp-t853

My local garage sells Hankook w310 tyres for £80 each fitted for 205/55/16 that leaves £280 spare to buy some alloys or steel rims.

Mytyres were £108 each without fitting when I last looked.

Hankook are a good brand too, I’ve never heard of those tyres shown on ebay, they certainly haven’t appeared in any tests recently.

alfabus
    Free Member

£480 delivered for 4 x steel wheels with ‘avon ice touring’ tyres for my audi A4 from mytyres.

Dave

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers people.

I’ll look into some of the suggestions but don’t want steel wheels as they’ll look a bit naff and you can get alloys for the same price.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d put decent tyres over ‘naff steelies’ personally.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah I now want decent tyres and alloys – some folk are never satisfied are we? 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Winter Tyres New or Retreads – Opinions?’ is closed to new replies.