Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Winter tyres for Surrey Hills
  • tryert
    Free Member

Hi, what do people suggest? I run HRII 2.30s most of the year on my 650b which have been generally great. Is there any real improvement to be gained in using a dedicated winter tyre given that the soil drains OK on most trails?

Grace
    Free Member

Just stick a shorty on the front if you fancy…pretty good most of the time and as good as anything in the sloppy bits! I doubt mine will come off now until it’s dusty again.
    * starts dreaming of dusty trails *

ajt123
    Free Member

Michelin Wild Gripr. Can’t beat it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Same as summer – Minion and HR2.

Plus, trails do get dusty in winter at times. Though frosty trails are similar. Though really want some snow 😀

Gotama
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty, spec hill billy (not dh!) or schwalbe Magic Mary on the front. Mary prob more of the all rounder. I’ve just fitted a hill bully grid on my 29er and it’s excellent. You can use a high roller or equivalent and get along fine, but with my limited skillz I like the additional help from the more slop orientated tyres.

danbo
    Free Member

Yeah Shorty or Magic Mary. Job done.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Hans Dampf..

(Adnittedly I’ve only used this once on a borrowed bike.. but it felt like teh awsumz).

I’m a Nobby Nic rider all year round normally, but an HD on the front felt like.. a NN on steroids. Nice.

In Surrey mud.

jam-bo

Really liking beavers at the moment (2.25 variety)

skaifan
    Free Member

Running high rollers there currently. No complaints in all the slop this afternoon.

njee20
    Free Member

Rons or Beavers for me.

acidtest
    Free Member

Continental Black Chili Mountain King 2.4 up front and Trail King 2.3 on the back. Did a 60k on Sunday and they performed really well all around the Surrey Hills, over the back of Leith Hill was pretty muddy and they held their own ,managed to stay on the bike.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Mountain King Protection 2.2 here

I find the 2.4 is a massive tyre and an X-king probably a little too lacking at this time of year on the front. Happy to run a X-king on the rear though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory for me, not a million miles from the Hans Dampf and cheap to boot.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hans Dampf on the front, Spesh Purgatory on the rear.

acidtest
    Free Member

Farmer Johns

ajt123
    Free Member

Hans Dampf is great in summer, but will gum-up something rotten in winter.

dingabell
    Free Member

Judging by tonight’s ride, ones with massive spikes in them.
    It’s bloody gloopy out in them there hills.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres for Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.