Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Winter tyres and size question
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

volvo v70 with 17″ alloys
    225/45 r17 currently on

if i were to buy some wheels with tyres on (off ebay) that are 205/60R16 would it work or cause issues?

squirrelking
    Free Member

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=17&wheelwidth=6.5&offset=40&width2=205&aspect2=60&wheel_size=16&wheel_width=6-5&offset2=40#isPage=1

I see issues.

What’s the width and offset of your existing wheels?

Personally I’d just get a set from Tyreleader that you know will fit, I think their steelies are £30 a corner. Either that or just change your existing tyres for all weather ones and save the extra money.

alanf
    Free Member

Check if there was a 16″ rim option for the v70 and see what size tyres were fitted to them? Possibly on the tyre pressure info on the door pillar?

sbob
    Free Member

I see issues.

I don’t. 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

205/55/R16 or 215/55/R16 apparently are approved volvo sizes but not 205/60/R16

Taken from here: Volvo forum

stumpy01

Quite often the car handbook will have alternative sizes quoted in them….

squirrelking
    Free Member

I don’t

Based on the wheel sizes (which we don’t know) I’d be interested in your explaination. Or are you just being obtuse?

spooky_b329

Do you actually need an ‘approved size’?

As long as the overall circumference is close to the existing size, and the speed and load ratings are sufficient, I don’t think there should be a problem.

Going down a wheel size can’t really be claimed as a performance modification either.

scotroutes

There might be issues with your insurance.

thegreatape
    Free Member

As long as the overall circumference is close to the existing size, and the speed and load ratings are sufficient, I don’t think there should be a problem.

Possibly also check smaller wheels fit round your brake callipers. I use different speed rating winter tyres and just ensure I have email confirmation from my insurers that they’re happy with that. Which they are.

johnners
    Free Member

My car has 225/45 R17s, the manufacturer’s steel wheel option have 205/55 R16s fitted. Both tyre options are on the door pillar sticker, the steel option has about +38mm greater diameter.

edited for poor maths and general nonsense

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres and size question’ is closed to new replies.