Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Winter Tyres
  • Freester

Yes I know this is the wrong end of the season to really be thinking about winter tyres but want to start doing a bit of research for next winter, perhaps.

Is it really worth it? What do people do? Cheap set of rims and swap the wheels? Just get the tyre fitters to swap the tyres and store at home or at the tyre fitter that offers storage? I have a garage so storage of rims or tyres isn’t too much of an issue.

If looking at new rims do I need anything more than dimensions and BCD?

Anything else I need to consider? Like don’t bother in southern England?!

mashr

If you get All Seasons tyres you might find the decision easier

nixie

Cheap steelies and winter tyres here. I do drive to the alps for skiing though so decision was not that difficult.

alpin
    Free Member

Depending on yearly mileage and time of day you generally use the car and where you live, you might just want to leave them on all year.

I’m in Munich and here you must have winter tyres from October through till spring.

Thinking about doing that with the van. Saves the faff of storing and swapping the wheels twice a year….

Don’t really notice a massive difference regarding mpg.

They’re also better if light off roading.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I asked the same question a few months ago and the answer turned out to be Michelin CrossClimates

Freester

Cheap steelies and winter tyres here. I do drive to the alps for skiing though so decision was not that difficult.

Just got back. One of the reasons I was considering it.

cp

Definitely worth it and not just for snow – they grip much better in winter cold and salty slimy roads. You can effortlessly drive out of muddy MTB event fields too as a bonus 🙂 I’m also convinced they wear better across the winter months than ‘summer’ tyres do.

Anyway, now is a good time to be looking – people will be taking them off and prices will be suppressed over the summer months.

I’d recommend getting a set of steel/cheap alloys with tyres and just swap out the wheels each winter. I’d also recommend getting little-used second hand wheel/tyre combo eg. from ebay with minimal tread wear – i.e. 6mm or so remaining. This will likely get you a very cheap set of both wheels and tyres that will do a couple of winters or more. Then just replace the tyres as and when.

Furious

Is it really worth it? What do people do? Cheap set of rims and swap the wheels? Just get the tyre fitters to swap the tyres and store at home or at the tyre fitter that offers storage? I have a garage so storage of rims or tyres isn’t too much of an issue.

First season for winter tyres for me and although we’ve not really had the snow, when we did have some they were superb. Very impressed with low temperature grip. I got mine from a local tyre fitters who did a good price and I’m storing my summer tyres at home.

beej

I’ve had CrossClimates on for 14 months now. I was much better off than most of the cars in our road in the snow/ice a couple of weeks ago, based on watching them sliding around.

benp1

I put some Michelin Cross Climates on my car

You can all thank me for the current heatwave!

mashr

I’ll share some of that blame. Decided to experiment with Maxxis All Seasons, soz

scotroutes

I just run them all year. If you’re not ragging it in sumner then there’s not much downside.

Sui
    Free Member

Nokians – i stupidly did not put them on this year and the one day i was out in the snow and listened to the missus about closing a gap up i slid into someone :/ that said, my Goodyears have been excellent in the winter.

notlocal
    Free Member
    notlocal
    Free Member

I made the mistake of thinking 4×4 and M+S (mud + snow) tyres would be OK during winter. “Big chunky grip, perfect for the snow in Aberdeenshire”. Unfortunately, the lack of sipes in the tread, and a rubber compound too hard for the cold, resulted in Mrs notlocal fracturing 3 thoracic vertebrae, and a fractured sternum, bruised heart and lung and 3 severed tendons in my right wrist. It also manifested 7 years later with a healthy dose of PTSD, with me vanishing for 3 days, and contemplating a long walk into a December swell at Aberdeen beach.
    Just get them bought and reduce the risk.
    Crash

scuttler

All season unless you’re into ‘making progress’. I have Vredestein Comtrac 2 All Season tyres (Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake badge / 3PMSF – not M+S) on my 114 bhp van and would have something similar on a car if I had one.

Read up on M+S vs 3PMSF here – https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/winter-tyres-don-t-rely-on-the-m-s-mark

retro83
    Free Member

notlocal

Crash

Christ, what actually happened in the crash?

I’ve got Michelin CC on my car and they’re good, but I do try and remember to drive as if I didn’t have them, so I’ve always got a little bit in reserve. Easy to get cocky…

swavis

I put Cross Climates on the van just before the snow fell, chuffing brilliant. Slightly better that the Comtracs that I’d put on before.

notlocal
    Free Member

Christ, what actually happened in the crash?

Ice, a 40 foot huck to flat and a tree.

mrl

I was thinking about get some winter wheels/tyres. Front wheel drive car, can you just do the front wheels or is that a bad idea?

swavis

Depends how sideways you like it? 😉

doomanic

Apart from too, how fast were you going?

theotherjonv

I started getting my tyres from the local Indy tyre place, who’s been there years and his advice was that clearly winter for winter (not just snow and ice, also better in cold and damp) and summer for summer is the best option.

However, and more relevant I suspect for most of us – was that he said if you had to compromise then the drop off in performance of using winter tyres in summer was WAY less than using summer tyres in winter, and unless you’re massively into ‘making progress’ likely to be barely noticeable for most of us.

So – if it’s either/or – winters or good all seasons all year round.

And no – don’t put winters on the front and summer on the rear, unless you’re a driving god or like crashing into stuff backwards – same reason as why ‘expert’ advice is that you put the best tyres on the rear because a front wheel skid is more retrievable for most of us; a rear wheel one is usually a trip to the hedge or worse.

benp1

All season tyres have somewhat killed off the debate of how long to run winter tyres for and when you need to change wheels etc

I have all season tyres on the my rear only (plus it’s a rear wheel drive car). Will replace the fronts when I wear those tyres down enough

Northwind

I nearly went allseason and I think it’s probably the best allround option. But then I found some used wheels with good quality winters on for my car (literally from another identical car) and so I bought those instead.

I know not everyone likes used tyres- though nobody minds buying cars with used tyres, which seems weird- but really for winters it can work out great, especially if you have the sort of car that people buy winters for. Frinstance, I have a subaru, nuff said. I had a mondeo, which could take the same wheels as some volvos and jags and loads of those guys buy winters. And then they often do not many miles, so it can work out great.

TL:DR, if I had to buy new tyres I’d probably go all season. But I didn’t so I bought sensible allrounders and a cheap used set of alloys with good winters on.

notlocal
    Free Member

doomanic

Apart from too, how fast were you going

Driving according to the conditions between 45/50mph. Dry road, with 7°c indicated, at 07:30. First detected ice approximately 500m before crash site. Auto box, so eased off the acceleration gently to allow engine breaking, then spent the rest of the journey correcting the steering as the vehicle picked up speed travelling up an incline. Changed to N on column shift and continued to pick up speed. At the last moment it appeared we would just slide into an estate cottage driveway until the road camber decided the drop was closer.

Despite skid pan training (paramedic) there was nothing I could do.

I’m under no illusion that winter tyres are a miracle cure for all conditions in winter, but I do believe that they would have gripped more and perhaps lessened the rate of our abrupt deceleration into a tree. I played it over enough during the subsequent years to appreciate proper three peak and snowflake tyres do what they’ve been made for better than non TPSF tyres.

matt_outandabout

I’ve just had first set of tyres on the Volvo. I wanted all season, and had the sum total of two models to choose from. Tyre place said they’ve never sold so many all season and winter tyres after last year.

For me, traveling all over Scotland for work, all season just seems to make sense, and the ones of got are more towards the winter end with sipes and different rubber. (Maxxis AP2)

bigjim

Most people in denmark run winter tyres and it’s positively balmy and dry here compared to Scotland.

Vader
    Free Member

Been running winters all year round for the last 10 years and have no complaints. My mileage is relatively low and I live in Scotland so wear is good – easily exceeding 25k down to 4mm. As I go to the Alps every year I change when they get to 5mm ish (not legally a winter tyre below that) and the performance drops off markedly. The next set may well be something like the Nokian Weatherproof all season which have excellent reviews in snow conditions.

I have done the front wheels only thing and span on a roundabout in an inch or two of snow, complete surprise as I was going very slowly. After that I felt very uncomfortable in snow, especially going downhill in difficult conditions, and put two winters on the back. So I wouldn’t recommend the front only option.

If you think you will use chains at some point, check the winter tyre size permitted in the car manual. I had to downsize the tyre to allow clearance to the strut for the chain.

If you go for second hand tyres it’s worth remembering that snow performance drops right off as the tread shallows – you often see people asking good money for tyres that are barely winter tyres any more. Still better than summers though arguably poor value

Mr Winter Tyres seemed like a good one stop shop a while back but I have always used my local indy who have good deals.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Warmest February day on record? It was still 6 Deg C on my way to work this morning, and that was an hour later than usual.

When my winters drop below 4mm, I’ll run them down to less in the summer, but always 4mm+ tread in winter.

doomanic

@notlocal that sounds terrible, I’m glad you survived and wish you the best with the healing process.

I tried used winter tyres on my 325D a couple of years ago and didn’t get on with them at all. They had 5mm of tread when I fitted them but never seemed to have as much grip as the Goodyear Efficientgrips that were on the car before. I don’t recall the exact brand, but they were premium.

alpin
    Free Member

If you go for second hand tyres it’s worth remembering that snow performance drops right off as the tread shallows – you often see people asking good money for tyres that are barely winter tyres any more. Still better than summers though arguably poor value

It’s not just tread depth. The age of the tyre plays a role, too.

According to ze German ADAC (AA/RAC equivalent) tyres are ready for the bin after 7 years.

The manufacturing date can be found on all tyre walls.

That’s my problem with swapping tyres twice a year on the van. Don’t do enough miles to wear down the tread. Last set of winters still had 6mm on them, and even they were second hand.

The current winters are also second hand. 150€ for four 2 year old Dunlops with ~6.5mm.

The summer tyres were new and cost over 600…. Some fancy pants van eco things from Pirelli.

Whereas I don’t mind swapping the tyres over on the MX5…. The performance of the summers over the winters is massively noticeable. Saying that, they are almost 50% wider and 17″ as opposed to skinny 15″ rubbers.

Oblongbob

I’ve got CrossClimates on the front of mine. I know I should get them all round, but rear summer tyres still have plenty of life. Will get rears at some point soon. I was seriously impressed driving over the Ben lawyers road to Glen Lyon in the cold snap at the end of January. -8 or so and a mix of snow and ice on a pretty steep road. Made it over and back no problem. Had to drive around a car without winter tyres stuck on first hill. Took it very easy especially with summers on rear, but no problems at all.

Used to run conti winter contacts on wife’s car all year round, with no appreciable loss of economy or grip. Seem to remember the conti website said that winters all year round were recommended for northern UK/Scotland at the time, and grip as well or better on all but the warmest days.

Will run crossclimates or similar all year from now on.

CountZero

Warmest February day on record? It was still 6 Deg C on my way to work this morning, and that was an hour later than usual.

-1.5-2.0 degrees this morning, and after scraping off several car windscreens I could only feel pain in my fingers; this afternoon I wished I had my shorts on, I was hot wearing a tee shirt with my work trousers. Who’d a thunk it in February!

hodgynd
    Free Member

I feel a little bit “jipped” that I’ve put cross climates on my commuter in November and have probably only needed their capabilities on a couple of occasions ..
    Summer has arrived in February ..I’ve been working in shirt sleeves outdoors for the last three days ..
    Hang on thoug8h ..didn’t that Beast arrive in March last year ..?
    Maybe putting Eagle F1’s on the other car 2 days ago wasn’t such a good idea after all ..

iainc

I put cross climates on my A6 Quattro almost 18 months ago and they have been faultless over around 20k miles, mixed conditions in west of Scotland. A fair amount of snow and ice last winter, less this one. They are now down to about 3.5mm all round so will be getting replaced with same in a couple of months. So much better than the factory Pirelli summer tyres it came with.

DickBarton

I’m after some as well, managed to get some free alloys so just need the tyres…but I’m tight. Looking around, there are some unknowns with a C and C rating for fuel economy and wet braking for 50 quid…the known brands appear to want about twice that for those ratings in the size I require.
    So are the 50 quid jobs going to be utterly awful or they likely be OK?

doomanic

No idea, but I wouldn’t put any tyre worse than a B for wet grip on my car in any circumstances.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve got CrossClimates on the front of mine. I know I should get them all round, but rear summer tyres still have plenty of life.

That’s mental – two types of tyres with very different characteristics…

I live in Bristol and have used CrossClimates for the last few years, only had one day with snowy roads here so far this year and they coped fine (inc. on untreated roads). OP mentions he’s in Southern England so I’d say there’s little point there having a dedicated winter wheels + tyres set.

Partly depends on the car to, my current FWD Octavia copes a lot better than my previous RWD BMW, if I had a job that involved a lot of driving and a RWD car with wide/low profile standard wheels I might consider a dedicated winter set.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Winter Tyres’ is closed to new replies.