Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Winter tyre options
  • jwab
    Free Member

Just wondering what the cheapest options would be to solve the following, or isnt it actually a problem??

I have new hans damph (trailstar) on the front and rock razor (pacestar) on the back. I havent tried this combo in mud yet but, suspect the rear tyre at least will be an issue in muddy wet rooty conditions, will this be the case?

If it is then what is the cheapest option ie just replace the rear (with what?) move the front to the back and get what up front.

Or give up, get X and Y and have two seasonal sets??

Cheers in advance, just need a plan before hopeful searching for cheap deals

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much mud? axle deep or a bit in the woods?

chiefgrooveguru

Depends on your riding but sticking the Hans Dampf on the back and putting a Magic Mary on the front would be normal for more gnarly riding once you’re out of summer conditions.

GolfChick
    Free Member

double magic mary in winter for me and the wyre forest then when it finally dries out I swap to a high roller on the front and a purgatory on the back til the high roller wears out and then itll be butcher. Currently in the gambling/waiting game to swap back to the magic marys and I cant wait cos i flippin love those tyres!

devash
    Free Member

Butcher front, Purgatory back, yay or nay?

sgn23
    Free Member

I’m just about to swap the rear from a Spesh Slaughter to a Purgatory Grid. I’ve not tried it before, but from what I read it seems to be able to cope well with mud. When it gets axle deep I’m back onto my HT with On-One’s finest Smorgasbord & Chunky Monkey which worked well last winter (this is proper Cotswold mud I refer to)

jwab
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, mainly in wood but can be pretty deep especially later in the year, and in this case pretty steady riding nothing too extreme

steve73
    Free Member

I have used conti Baron’s for the past 2 years through winter and they have been great on my local loops in Shropshire and Cannock.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ll probably just run Minion DHFs o
    Front and back on my trail bike unless I head somewhere like Triscombe for some proper muddy DH when I’ll fit some Wet Screams for the trip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyre options’ is closed to new replies.