Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter Tents – recommendations please
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I’m in the process of replacing any worn out winter kit for the fast approaching season of hiking and climbing (mainly Scotland).

I was using a borrowed tent last year, but have to give it back for this season, which means I’m buying my own.

Basic requirements:

4 season
    2 person
    Outer pitch first would be a major plus
    under 3kg if possible
    will be used in all manner of scottish winter weather, but no high level stuff.

I was using a Marmot Grid 2 last season and was pretty impressed, thinking of buying that, or the Marmot Grid Plus.

Anyone using anything else that they really like? Max budget of around £350 ideally.

Would prefer recommendations from people who have actually spent winter nights in their suggestions (I can read the other reviews on the t’interweb 😉 ).

Also, how awesome are Alpkit sleeping bags? Unbelievable for the money! My best outdoors purchase of the last couple of years.

Thanks guys!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always liked my macpac. Their 4 season tents can be quickly put up in about 2 mins (not incl. the guys) and the inner isn’t exposed to the elements when pitching. Mines over 10 years old and everything still works, even all the elastic, bungees and velcro are all still excellent. They do a Mineret which is a small 2 man and Olympus which is a slightly larger 2 man.
    Red Tarn a few years ago

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Serious question, but what makes a tent a “4 season tent” please?

Is rain wetter in winter? 😉

BigJohn

Look for a camping shop having a Richard the Third sale.

“This is the discount of our winter tent”

peterfile
    Free Member

Serious question, but what makes a tent a “4 season tent” please?

Is rain wetter in winter?

It’s not so much persistent rain, but the combination of rain/wind/cold.

Also, the designs tend to take into account the possiblity of pitching on snow, or heavy snow build up (i.e. snow stakes, multiple entrance points, multi access doors).

They have the ability to be pitched in a manner which allows you to shield yourself from the worst of the weather, whilst still being able to cook etc.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

4 season tents are usually just a higher standard of construction. Often stronger poles, materials, groundsheet etc In the case of my tent, all the above and:
    Extra guy points.
    Snow valances.
    Snow pegs and also these bags that you can fill with rocks/snow and bury them in the snow to create guy points.
    Larger pole sleaves for double poles.

peterfile
    Free Member

Thanks banana. Just had a look at the Olympus which looks good (in the sale atm for about £350).

Nice weight too 🙂

TubsRacing
    Free Member

My Terra Nova Quasar has been good in winter but drifting snow can be a problem as it dosen’t have a snow valance – make sure you take a bin bag to put your boots in. Think TN sell a fly with a a valance it was pretty expensive when I enquired a couple of year back.

Seem to rememeber some one telling me you want poles crossing as many times as possible to make a tent more windproof.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

re Olympus, If you want to discuss a bit more before you buy it, you can email me. My Olympus is excellent but there are some small negatives to tunnel design and the Olympus design specifically you should be aware of.
    hopwood[dot]mail[at]gmail[dot]com

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Actually, read thru this thread from a few years ago, what I’ve said here is pretty much what I’d say to you in an email. 🙂

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/17154/URN/5/dt/4/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/1/sp/

peterfile
    Free Member

ah excellent, that’s really helpful, thanks banana 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

I use a Quasar as my winter gaff. Main downside is inner first pitching but being very quick, the inner doesn’t get too wet if it’s peeing down.

It’s a sturdy beast but heavy and expensive. I will buy another when it dies.

footflaps

4 season normally implies Geodesic – self standing so can take a battering in any direction by strong winds. I have a North Face VE25 which is a full on winter mountaineering tent, but pitches inner first, which is a pain if it’s raining. Macpac tents pitch outer first and are very well made – I have a Macpac Minaret and love it – but it’s not really 4 season, although I have used it in winter but it relies on good peg positions which you can’t always guarentee.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Still regularly using an Olympus that must be at least 15 years old – never thought about replacing it. If I remember right it was around £300 way back then.
    Their rucsacs have also served us well by the way.

Gribs

Near enough all proper 4 season tents will pitch inner first as it’s stronger for a given weight. If absolute 4 season performance is needed then my money would go on a Terra Nova Quasar. However if you’re not expecting to deal with heavy snowfall then a Voyager will do fine. Mine has stood up to 15 years of Scotish winters including gale force winds, but in heavy snow it’s annoying having to knock the snow off the roof every hour or so.

tonyplym
    Free Member

I have an early version of the Vango Force 10 Vortex (a geodesic with snow valance – not at all like the old Force Ten ridge design) – a bit fiddly to put up, but has proven to be very capable in rough weather and heavy snow over the last five years or so. Latest version is a bit heavier than you want, but they’re built to last, and mine is certainly lasting well.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My ten year old North Face VE25 stands up to terrific winds. May be too big for your needs.

Ambrose

Mountain Hardware Trango. Now four years of good solid winter use- Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, Shetlands, Iceland. Totally reliable, well built, easily erected (inner first) piece of kit.

thoroughly recommended.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter Tents – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.