Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winter sun advice – non-concrete jungle – possible in Tennerife…..?
  • Shackleton

Evening all,

The wife and I fancy getting away from everything UK based at christmas and seeing some sun to break the inevitable Dundonian gloom.

We had thought of Tenerife but are struggling to find anything that doesn’t look like concrete jungle. Can anyone suggest areas that aren’t heavily built up and touristy and would offer a more rural environment?

Are there any other places that folk could suggest that would fit the bill? It doesn’t need to be an active holiday but the option to walk or climb (or even road bike apparently) would be nice.

Cheers,

S

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Default Madeira reply from me.

Sandwich

Costa Adaje but away from the beach facing inland off to the right. Good bus connections to the hills for walking and some close by. Bike hire (road) behind the post office.

Caher

fuerteventura

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

El Medano in Tenerife, going there in November again.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

El Hierro

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you go to tenerife just go to siam park.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Lived there for 12yrs –
    Fire me
    An email

woody21
    Free Member

Los Gigantes

honeybadgerx

We’re off to Sardinia in a couple of weeks, give me a nudge after and I’ll try and report back.

Shackleton

Thanks for the suggestions, will have a look into them.

Cheers,

S

Potdog
    Free Member

Los Gigantes in November is like a scene from the movie Cocoon, but saying that so are lots of areas. However, as mentioned El Médano is a good spot, catches the prevailing winds so can be blowy, but the Hotel Médano gives good shelter to the beach if you fancy laying out in the sun. Medano is more of a traditional seaside resort, chilled out as its a bit of a surfer spot. Good restaurants, cheaper to stay as it’s not the big resorts, no PR’s pestering you to go in their bar when you want a walk.

Or there is Las Galletas, but don’t be fooled into accepting that Costa del Silencio is the same. It’s NOT!Galletas is a nice little harbour town, again some nice little restaurants. A bit more residential.

I’d avoid going too rural up in the hills at that time of year, some beautiful spots and hotels, but too cold on a night, believe me, I live up at 700m above sea level here and have a wood burning stove for that time of year!!

Hope that helps.

neilco
    Free Member

AirBnB. Find somewhere away from the towns + flight + car = job done.

BillMC

^^this one

Shackleton

Cheers, hadn’t thought of that option.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Tenerife*, is awful.

Fuerteventura is just as bad, but without any plant-life.

The Canary Islands; never again.

(*road biking: you have a choice of riding around the island, on the motorway, or riding across the island, which presents you with a 2000m climb. i can see why the out-of-season roadie pros go there)

dragon
    Free Member

I went to Golf Del Sur in the summer, and it was much nicer than I was expecting. Out where we were it wasn’t a concrete hell, we had lovely views up to the mountains. It is the opposite side of the airport from El Médano. The only issue could be the wind, I’m not sure how blowy it is at that time of year.

I thought both Las Galletas and Costa del Silencio were pretty horrid TBH. Built up and run down, oh and lots of dog poo around the harbour.

To the locals whats the other side of the island like in winter (Purto del La Cruz side)? As it looked prettier than the usual Brit tourist areas, but also probably wetter based on how green it was?

dragon
    Free Member

The Canary Islands; never again.

Visit La Palma its amazing and not spoilt to the same degree as some of the other islands. It’ll completely change your view (or it may not).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Potdog – you bought one of the new ones above Chafiras then?
    Put a jumper on you Northern Monkey!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winter sun advice – non-concrete jungle – possible in Tennerife…..?’ is closed to new replies.