Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter SPD's
  • br
    Free Member

Ok, so my Shimano MW81’s have just bit the dust – both soles coming off plus the neoprene wrap is holed on both of them.

What’s the recommended go to option, Shimano MW7’s or 5′, or something else?

And I’m only interested in proper winter high-cuff spd boots, ta.

happybiker
    Free Member

I love my Northwave boots, warm and waterproof.

jamiep
    Free Member

the boot of choice at our Club for winter CX duties is northwave celsius 2 gtx. I got mine for £90 in a recent CRC sale

I quite like the look of these – not tried them though

onewheelgood

I have a pair of those and I like them. They are a bit narrower than my old Defrosters (8 or 9 years old), but I just about fit in them. Not tried them below -2 but they’ve been fine at that with a thin pair of merino socks. The ankle seal is better than the old ones.

br
    Free Member

Anyone got a pair of the Mavic Crossmax Sl Pro Thermo’s?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwave Arctic Celsius GTX. Stiffer sole than the Spesh, and I prefer to keep the ‘laces’ totally covered on a winter boot.

LeeW

I’ve got some Mavic winter road shoes and to be honest the Velcro strap barely goes around my ankles. I think it’s a design issue as a friend has some offroad ones (Not sure of the model) where he has the same issue.

Unless you could try them on in a store I wouldn’t buy Mavic winter shoes.

It’s nearly spring anyway 😀

flange
    Free Member

Also use the Northwave Celsius boots. Awesome bit of kit

scotroutes

Bontrager OMWs though TBH it’s not really been cold enough for them this winter.

GHill

My only issue with my Specialized defrosters (MTB version) is that the sole offers practically no grip. They keep my feet warm and dry though.

connect2

Just went to look at Evans for the Louis Garneau boots I use. They’re sold out but I see they’ve got the Northwaves on clearance at £98 – decent sizes left too!

br
    Free Member

It’s nearly spring anyway

Maybe for folk on here who seem to barely ride…

6″ of snow on Sunday on the tops here, and at 2 night rides a week there’ll be plenty of ‘action’ still for them.

Actually ordered the Mavic’s as they’d a good write-up on the Enduro website. if no good they’ll go back.

My only issue with my Specialized defrosters (MTB version) is that the sole offers practically no grip.

tbh the Shimano ones I had were crap too.

dovebiker

Mavics have got the best soles for grip / hike-a-bike IMO. I’m off to give my 45Nrth Wolvhammers a bit of a trashing, 5-days in the arctic and forecast to drop to drop to near -20. They’re over-size plus I’ll have over-gaiters and enough room for chemical warmers.

wynne
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs of northwaves over the last 15 years, a pair of gaernes and a pair of diadoras but just got the road version of the Specialized defroster. The spesh shoes are by far the warmest and most weatherproof I’ve used and the boa closure is excellent. The northwaves were good. The gaernes were also good but had a zip up the front – I think the mavics have one too: I would avoid any boots with a zip as they can be really problematic in the clag and it failed long before the rest of the boot wore out. I normally love diadora bike shoes but the winter boots were crap.

Sanny
    Free Member

I have the Mavic boots on test. I’m a bit underwhelmed. The single boa style strap works well but the fit isn’t great. It really needs a second strap. Also, the Gore Tex doesn’t extend up very high meaning that if you step in a deep puddle, it’s wet feet time. I remain to be convinced by the longevity of the zip cover.

Cheers

Sanny

guglielmo
    Free Member

Another vote for NW. The artics are that little bit warmer, but both versions are good.

Stiffer sole than the others too which is essential for me when using clipless.

Just wish they were a bit wider for my club feet, but they’re certainly not narrow.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter SPD's’ is closed to new replies.