Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Winter SPD boots – recommendations? / what do you use?
  • a11y

Perfect timing for summer :roll:, but I’ve broken part of the cleat off one of my winter boots and the bolts are rounded off, meaning I can’t change them. Can’t be bothered drilling them out as the boots are pretty gubbed anyway. I’ve had them through 6 winters so it’s a good excuse for a new pair…

So, what’s recommended? I’ve been using the old-old-style Shimano winter boots – I found them pretty decent, but a bit bulky, crap sole and too warm/sweaty a lot of the time.

Something waterproof, but not necessarily too warm, would be ideal. I can always wear extra socks in deepest, coldest winter. I do MTB right through winter, so definately have a need for something more sturdy than my summer shoes. So any ideas? Ones I like the look of are:

Specialized Defroster
    (reviews say they’re OK but not warm enough for proper winter use, which might suit my needs, plus I also find Specialized shoes incredibly comfortable – I’ve got Specialized summer shoes)

Shimano MW80
    (but I’m concerned they might be too warm for my purposes?)

Any thoughts on an autumn/winter/spring boot/shoe or alternative suggestions welcomed 8)
    Cheers,
    Ally

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have been using the older Shimano winter boots for the past three years and have found them to be darn good. They are water proof and only once has the water gone inside the shoe over the neoprene ankle guards (during a very wet ride a Llandegla last year). They are not super warm though when it gets proper cold (I have to ride in -20 degs sometimes) but I find using thick winter socks and overshoes keep my feet toasty in those conditions. If the temperature is below 10 degs then you can keep using them over that you’ll have very hot and sweaty feet.

druidh
    Free Member

MT90s

a11y

MT90s – how warm are they? I was also concerned they don’t look the easiest to clean? I usually just turn the hosepipe on my boots afterwards…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I use SH-D100s, year round. Quite warm in the summer 😀

BadlyWiredDog

I wore Defrosters all winter and really like them. They’re lightweight and not at all clumpy, unlike other stuff I’ve tried and using thick socks – maybe buy half a size large – makes them warm enough for me anyway. Not 100 per-cent waterproof, but in the real world, none of them actually are. Water generally runs or wicks down your leg eventualy whatever you do.

The lack of thick insuation means you can wear them in spring / autumn without cooking your feet as well.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I use Specialized defrosters and my feet get cold! I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone wanting a warm boot – but They could be what you are after – want to buy mine?

a11y

Can’t find any info on those SH-D100s…

Interesting to here from two Defroster users. Could be just what I’m after, i.e. waterproof enough but not stuffed with insulation. Would you recommend going a size up from your regular shoe size for them? Bearing in mind I wouldn’t be using them with thick socks all of the time, but will probably double-up with waterproof socks for very wet rides. I think I’m a 46 in regular/summer Specialized shoes.

a11y

Forgot to add I don’t have ready access to a Specialized dealer here who has them in stock, so can’t try ’em on 🙁

ian47
    Free Member

MW02 Been using them for 3 years 3-4 rides a week. I’ve had water in thru the top but even then my feet were not cold – just squidgy. The new version has a better sole.

coffeeking
    Free Member

SH-D100s are apparently no longer available, these are probably the equiv:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1485

nickb

I have the spesh defrosters. They’re pretty good, but I’d agree not all that warm. I find them ok down to about freezing temperature, but my feet definitely get cold in lower temps – more pairs of thin wool socks help.

As for sizing, mine are definitely larger than my spesh summer shoes of the same size, so they must be built bigger to allow for thick socks. Suggest trying a pair on if you can find them locally.

Nick

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got defrosters – basically they’re great as waterproof, warmer shoes than normal Spesh but they’re not really warm – if you get very cold feet/have poor circulation, these aren’t the shoes for you.

lunge

Yep, defrosters are fairly waterproof but not overly warm – could be what you need.

i wear size 46 comps in the summer and find a 48 is perfect to fit socks underneath. The 46’s were a bit tighter than the comps.

a11y

SH-D100s are apparently no longer available, these are probably the equiv:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1485

Ahh, that’s the ones I’ve been using for 5/6 winters – I think they were Shimano’s first winter boot offering.

Cheers for the info on Defroster sizing. Just weighing up between them and the latest Shimano ones from my original post.

GreenK
    Free Member

I have Defrosters too. I agree with most of the comments above. They are waterproof up to a point but like lots of boots suffer from water getting in at the top of the ankle when it’s very wet. The design is good at dealing with general splash. They aren’t a very warm boot especially when it’s really cold but two pairs of thinnish socks works for me. As they aren’t a very warm boot they are excellent for wet spring/autumn days too. Had mine two winters and they are still going strong.

Can’t comment on any other brands as these were my first winter/wet specific boots.

z1ppy

MT90’s loads warmer than my old Northwave Celsius, really like them a lot.
    As for cleaning winter boot? Whats that about????

didgerman
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the shoes yet, get your socks first. I use Seal Skin’s, they were brilliant on my last 24 hour, and it was pretty cold at night, if not that wet. But I’d get some of those, then get the shoes to fit.

a11y

I already use waterproof socks, didgerman.

MT90’s sound like they might be too warm, certainly look like a good pair of boots. Cleaning – don’t worry, apparently I’ve got OCD when it comes top that, we’ve all got our weaknesses…

druidh
    Free Member

I bought MT90s for last winter but ended up using them in “summer” too. I don;t find them too hot and can make them warmer with thicker socks as necessary.

mudpup
    Free Member

try the new lake mx140 – made of event fabric with a natural rubber sole, boa closure system, superlight and super comfy. got a pair a few weeks ago and they are amazing.

yen
    Free Member

i also have defrosters – they’ve been great all winter and kept my feet warm and dry. Also not too bulky…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nothwave celcius here too with sealskinz. Super toasty. If I was sure I wouldnt be doing much walking, I’d just get a pair of endura overshoes. Get some winter boots when the Spring sales start.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Winter SPD boots – recommendations? / what do you use?’ is closed to new replies.