Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Winter Solstice! – Summer's on her way back.
  • jekkyl

Rejoice!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You know your only going to be disappointed…

bikebouy
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Happy solstice – I’m moving my thread allegiance to this one as Summer is here on this one….

PrinceJohn

Summer is coming!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

You are aware that it is also officially the first day of winter right? We’re just done with autumn, winter has started and summer is still 6 months away!

ico86

This thread gets rated. Too early in the morning to be pessimistic, I’m looking forward to dusty trails, long evenings playing in the woods with mates and boozy bbqs.

simonside
    Free Member

We’re just done with autumn, winter has started and summer is still 6 months away!

At least we`ll be able to see the mud and rain when we go out in the evening rather than it just being a sensory experience

jj55

She’s on her way back!

(Beaten to it this year!!)

Yak

To counter the negativity (and reality 😉 ) of the mudmageddon faceplant above, some of this is on the way 🙂

jekkyl

Here’s to cycling in the evening in shorts n’ t-shirts on dry and dusty trails in the sunshine until after half 9 as opposed to in the cold, wrapped up in baselayers, jersey and jacket, scarf, beanie and neoprene gloves, faffing about with batteries, wires and lights to ride dank muddy trails in the dark when your family and friends think you’re a bit weird.

zelak999
    Free Member

Loving the positivity of this thread OP. 😀

prawny

The weather part is secondary to the fact that I won’t have to faff with charging 100 different things everyday when I get to work.

And maybe nip out on my MTB before work, tidy.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Quite right too Michael. The best part of the run up to Christmas is hitting the 21st December and realising the days are going to be getting longer. I don’t care if it’s the first day of winter; bring on the snow! I just want some daylight in my life.

P-Jay
    Free Member

pleaderwilliams – Member

You are aware that it is also officially the first day of winter right? We’re just done with autumn, winter has started and summer is still 6 months away!

“officially” is stretching it, there’s is no “official” start to any season, it’s open to interpretation.

The Meteorological Calendar, which is probably the most widely accepted “official” version has the seasons as:

Spring – March, April, May.
    Summer, June, July, August.
    Autumn, Sept, Oct, Nov and of course
    Winter as Dec, Jan and Feb.

But even Meteorologists think it’s a bit pessimistic to have Dec the 21st being less than a 3rd of the way through the season as, being that it’s the point when the Northern Hemisphere is furthest from the Sun, hence “mid-winter” it should be the middle – so you could argue that Winter should start on the 6th of November, but the 5th of Feb doesn’t feel very ‘Spring like’ most people stick with March.

So it’s only 5 months and 1 week till Summer
    70 days till spring.
    52 days till the clocks go forward

But, and this is the big thing – we’re over the hump of it.

God, I bloody hate Winter, can anyone tell?

tomd
    Free Member

faffing about with batteries, wires and lights to ride dank muddy trails in the dark when your family and friends think you’re a bit weird.

This. We’ve got the MiL staying at the moment and she thinks me and my wife are fully mental. Can’t wait to see her face when the wife starts decorating her bike with fairy lights and tinsel for her mince pie ride.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Here’s to cycling in the evening in shorts n’ t-shirts on dry and dusty trails in the sunshine until after half 9

In 6 years of bike riding I don’t actually recall that ever happening to me……

matt_outandabout

Bring it on….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pcnNZk]Glen Dubh and Glen Kendrum[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HAevUH]Dunuish bothy trip May 2016[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HREVR4]Fort Willam World Cup[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yg6mAq]Laggan Wolftrax[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

jekkyl

move out of Fife Andy!

It is true about the cycling in the dark thing, go out in the summer evening and that’s fine, go out in the evening in winter and my work colleagues are like ‘you go out in the dark?’ with furrowed brows – there’s no difference except for the lack of light!

orena45

It’s even better when you realise the evenings actually start getting lighter nearly a week before the solstice 🙂

matt_outandabout

fifeandy – Member
    Here’s to cycling in the evening in shorts n’ t-shirts on dry and dusty trails in the sunshine until after half 9

In 6 years of bike riding I don’t actually recall that ever happening to me……

You do live in Fife #worldofitsown

See:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/HGty66]Dunuish bothy trip May 2016[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bSBXDZ]Happy boy….[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

burt
    Free Member

Good site for sun up/ down etc
    Extra 3 seconds tommorow 😀

fifeandy
    Free Member

move out of Fife Andy!

Unsurprisingly i’ve had that thought myself!
    But for all I moan about the weather, i’d miss the miles and miles of quiet rural roads/tracks.

stevied
    Free Member

94 by my reckoning 😐

P-Jay
    Free Member

stevied – Member

94 by my reckoning

You’re quite right, it seemed too good to be true when I typed it…

It’s been 52 days since then went back it seems

metalheart
    Free Member

94 by my reckoning

Yup, by mine too. Only 42 days out. An optimist indeed!

Mid Feb would be nice though (if the clocks could go forward then)

jekkyl

But for all I moan about the weather, i’d miss the miles and miles of quiet rural roads/tracks.

I come from Kirkcaldy but have lived in England since I was 11. I’ve often thought I’d fancy a touring break around Fife, the coastal villages in particular. I seem to remember my childhood was filled with sunny days, over silverburn beach and the woods at Ladybird.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I seem to remember my childhood was filled with sunny days

Strangely, that is also how I remember my childhood.

Which leads me to two conclusions:
    A) There’s been a shift in weather patterns over the last 25yrs (damn i’m getting old!)
    B) My corner of Fife at least seems to see the best weather before 3pm then clouds over = i miss all the sun while i’m at work.

But anyway, the end result is its always cold and cloudy when i’m riding 😥

julians
    Free Member

You are aware that it is also officially the first day of winter right?

I think this has come from facebook. It was proclaiming that today was ‘officially’ the first day of winter.

As per the other commenters up there,for me winter is dec,jan,feb.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Its the 21st day of winter.

dpfr

…which is good, because I haven’t yet done an MTB ride in longs this winter. I was out this afternoon in rather pleasant sunshine- shorts, T-shirt and reasonably warm long sleeved top were just fine.

kiwijohn

This thread gets rated. Too early in the morning to be pessimistic, I’m looking forward to dusty trails, long evenings playing in the woods with mates and boozy bbqs

Coincidentally, that’s exactly what we were doing last night for the summer solstice.
    I better get up & clean the bbq.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Winter Solstice! – Summer's on her way back.’ is closed to new replies.