Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winter softshell
  • UK-FLATLANDER

I’m looking for a winter softshell for both road and MTBing, but I’m having real trouble getting anything that fits my shoulders without it feeling like someone is lifting me up by my armpits. I’ve never had much of an issue with walking and climbing garments, but it would seem that most cycling jackets assume no upper body. Anyone had a similar issue, or suggestions as to what I might try? I’ve tried some Gore, Endura, Castelli, Pearl Izumi, Funkier,…..

jonk

I like the Endura Windchill 2 jacket @ around £70.

bothybiker
    Free Member

I have the same problem, not built to fit cycle clothing apparently. I use general outdoors stuff for both soft shell and waterproof. Rab and Mountain Equipment are current choices. Fits perfectly, only thing possibly missing is rear pocket but mainly wear a rucksack anyway so no real issue there.

honourablegeorge

Dirt reviewed an Ion one today, which comes in six sizes

ION Softshell Carve Jacket 2016

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a Gore Element windstopper jacket, it’s a great piece of kit and I’m not what you would call svelte.

kcal

Got a couple of ‘the cycle jersey’ Windcheetahs – sturdily built, good shoulder clearance.
    Might be too warm for all but worst MTB weather in fact.

jimjam
    Free Member

As bothybiker suggests, you could just go with your usual outdoor clothing brands. Not many downsides apart from lack of a pronounced drop tail. A better range and generally better performance.

FWIW I don’t really see much value in softshells (as in the generic term) for the bike unless you’re regularly riding in sub zero temps. Base layer, mid weight layer, gilet and a packable shell is superior for my requirements.

UK-FLATLANDER

Ended up with Mavic Aksium Thermo Jacket, more outdoor fit than most and cracking price if you shop around.

ajantom

I’ve been using a Decathlon softshell for a couple of years now. Snug, but not too tight fit, and has lasted amazingly well considering how many washes it’s had.
    Similar to this – Decathlon Softshell – £20 very well spent!

djflexure

I find Mavic stuff a great fit

benp1

Get a Rab Vapour Rise, in the weight that you’d like

I have an Alpine Lite which is a bit chilly right now so gentler rides. I’ve been layering up under and over

A normal VR jacket or maybe the guide one might be better based on the weather you expect to ride in and how warm you want it. I’ve been really impressed with them

In many ways it’s more breathable than some of my other cycling softshells.

dovebiker

Gore Bike Wear comes in different fits e.g. Oxygen is racing cut whereas others are more MTB. Gore Tool is my choice for winter MTB – in my experience Gore fabrics are superior in terms of durability and breathability – Tool has three zipped pockets plus pit-zips. Wore mine for 12 hours @ 1.1degrees the other day and was still snug @ -8 this morning.

gren
    Free Member

Gore Phantom. It’s a road jacket but a relaxed fit so it has become my winter mtb jacket.

Had it 4 or 5 years now and still looks as good as new. Works below zero with a couple of good layers underneath.

scotroutes

And as said above, Gore Bike Wear comes in various “cuts”. I’ve an Oxygen jacket that is quite roadie and a Phantom. The Phantom is much more roomy though both are mediums.

Vortexracing

Gore Phantom. It’s a road jacket but a relaxed fit so it has become my winter mtb jacket.

3rd that !!!!

dovebiker

I had a Phantom but didn’t wear it – it’s nothing like as good for deep winter. The times I’ve ever thought that I’d need a short-sleeve jacket for winter are…zero. For intermediate conditions, the likes of a Castelli Gabba is more suitable IMO.

Del

got a phantom and don’t rate it. doesn’t breath very well IME, and the zip bust. hagloffs boa uses a lighter softshell fabric, has more stretch, breathes better , resists water as well as the gore ( when appropriately treated, same as the gore ), has cuffs that allow you to roll sleeves right up, and a hood/collar arrangement you can hide behind/under. the hood will go over your lid if you need it to. plenty long arms, no drop tail though ( but neither has the phantom )

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If outdoor stuff suits you well, then just use that (better for MTB than road though probably). If you like Rab, then something like a Sawtooth jacket with a base layer and maybe an extra mid layer is basically a softshell in my book in terms of the job it does, although it’s a long way removed from something like a Stealth if that’s what ‘softshell’ means to you.

backinireland
    Free Member

I use this for night rides

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-100-mens-warm-softshell-jacket-red-id_8343859.html

Battery in each inside pocket wired to helmet light so when one fails it’s an easy swop

Also have a rab vr smock which is a great bit of kit

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winter softshell’ is closed to new replies.