Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Winter shoes that aren't winter boots
  • JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Winter mtb boots are pointless- they are expensive and all the fancy waterproofing is useless when they fill up from above. What I plan to do is either wear neoprene socks or knee length Seal Skinz under my winter tights.

What I need are some mtb shoes that:
    take cleats
    have good tread
    suitable for the occasional winter bike carry
    no mesh
    no velcro or as little as possible- what is the point of velcro on shoes that get covered in mud? And while I’m ranting about it, velcro isn’t needed on gloves either.
    wide fitting

Any suggestions please?

PS I definitely don’t need ankle support! Thanks.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have to disagree that winter boots are pointless. It is only in really extreme wet weather that I have had water coming into the shoe from the top and even then the feet stay warm.

haggis1978

Love my winter boots 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They don’t have to be expensive, I bought (2nd pr) some nearly new ones off here for £50. They may not keep your feet dry, but I’ve never had cold feet in winter.

wwaswas

I wear sealskins and winter boots 🙂

any water that does find its way in the top (which isn’t much) warms up quite quickly due to the insulation on the boots trapping warmth in so I don’t end up with cold feet (or wet ones).

look at Specialized Defrosters if you’e looking for lighter weight waterproof stuff. They have a cuff but it’s not ‘support’ as such.

Failing that the Shimano walking boot style ones are ok too.

(I use Lake Frankenboots but accept they may not be to everyone’s taste)

roady_tony
    Free Member

in response to the OP

Pearl Izumi Alp X shoes – lace up, good tread, accept cleats, look nice, totally warm, and bonus they are waterproof/resist,

PI link

ton

these are goretex and are ideal……if you can find a pair.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31538

vorlich
    Free Member

Mavic Switchbacks, soft shell upper, dries fast. Toggle closure, grippy sole.

captaincarlos

I’ve got Shimano XC50N which are like a normal show but have all the mesh bits filled in. Good all year round shoe, just pick warm or cool socks to suit. They do have velcro for two of the three straps (the top one is ratchet) so may not suit your needs.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Click

Shimano MT71. Shoe-y. Goretex. Great.

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Thanks all, some interesting options that I didn’t know about.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Shimano XC50N

+1

jonnyrockymountain

Ditto Shimano xc50n

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Winter shoes that aren't winter boots’ is closed to new replies.