Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Winter roadie gloves
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Dissent 133 layered system.

Oh and they are also good as you can wash just the liner and mid layer and not put the outers through the wash, which should mean they last a lot longer. And you can buy spare liner and mid layer separately which is cool if you’re riding every day. The mid layer is just a DeFeet duraglove so you can buy spares and further tune it with the normal Duraglove or the merino one (or any other mid weight glove you fancy.) The outers don’t really retain much moisture at all. And everything dries out quickly if it does get wet.

theotherjonv

As a fellow cold-hander, these Dissents interest me – I’ve always layered but i like the idea of a wetproof overlayer that could go over either my sealskins or Altura Nightvisions.

Showerproof, or full on wet weather?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The windproof outer do a good enough job of dealing with the odd shower.

I was out for a couple of hours in heavy rain in the waterproof outer the other day and they did a fine job. As long as you can stop rain getting down the big hole at the top you’ll be fine. And you could always carry a spare pair of inners and swap mid ride.

could go over either my sealskins or Altura Nightvisions.

The outers need to go over a mid layer that isn’t bulky. Not sure what those gloves you mention are like but they wouldn’t fit over a big thick glove. I think the Dissent outers, a decent pair of liners, and the wool duragloves would be pretty toasty. But then I’m not a proper cold hander.

You might be better off with a big pair of overmitts like these?

theotherjonv

my sealskins are like a woolly glove with a membrane in it, so my hands don’t get wet but the outer gets soaked. The Alturas are bulkier but a bit more showerproof.

Was interested mainly for packing small so can go in a pocket for road rides, also for putting on for descents when a normal glove will do for the rest of the ride – once my fingers are cold they don’t tend to warm up again, so an ounce of prevention, etc.

Good info, thanks.

Haze

Anyone tried the Rapha ones?

Seem to tick all the boxes but I’m struggling to get past the price tag. But then if they’re hard wearing, dry and keep my hands warm then perhaps worth the investment…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Oh and they are also good as you can wash just the liner and mid layer and not put the outers through the wash, which should mean they last a lot longer. And you can buy spare liner and mid layer separately which is cool if you’re riding every day. The mid layer is just a DeFeet duraglove so you can buy spares and further tune it with the normal Duraglove or the merino one (or any other mid weight glove you fancy.) The outers don’t really retain much moisture at all. And everything dries out quickly if it does get wet.

Really like my Duragloves as a road/commute glove (had missed that there was a merino version) but haven’t worn them for mtb – had assumed they’d get snagged really quickly off road.

[edit – forgot this was a roadie glove thread]. Dissent are selling Duragloves for £23 while everyone else claims the rrp is only £19 and are selling for less…

burchill
    Free Member

kilo – Member
    Very good gloves for the price I keep a couple of pairs as spares in the house and van

Bought a pair after reading your recommendation – they’re great value for money! Thanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really like my Duragloves as a road/commute glove (had missed that there was a merino version) but haven’t worn them for mtb – had assumed they’d get snagged really quickly off road.

Use them for CX and XC. Not had any snagging issues.

jamiep
    Free Member

Ive the Rapha ones. Didn’t pay full price. They are lovely and work as expected but they aren’t waterproof. Worn with a merino liner sometimes.

I’ve the Dissent full, four glove system on order for an age, and an expecting great things given the wait. I like the idea of being able to wash and replace the two liners

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Sealskinz Ultra Grip?

They’re amazing for road and MTB down to about freezing (lower if not windy).

Most importantly, feel is much closer to a normal glove than a lot of winter options.

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of the Rapha ones Haze – got ’em in the sale a while back with 60% off or something, they’re good – lovely leather palms, very comfy & warm down to -2 ish (too warm for me above ~6 degrees though) – been caught in a few downpours & they’ve stayed dry though I reckon a sustained monsoon would get in eventually. Not sure i’d pay full whack, but for the £40 or whatever I paid they’re great (and they match the burnt orange hardshell jacket perfectly /tart)

At the other end of the £ scale I’ve also got a pair of the Bontrager RXL waterproof softshell ones – picked up for about £20 (still some around on ebay & on-line) & granted they’re a bit bulkier / gauntlet like but they loosen up after a while and have proved a bit of a bargain, think they do a lobster-stylee pair too if that sounds appealing.

The Rapha ones are very nice & highly functional but the Bonty ones are pretty much unbeatable for the price you can find them – I’d pick those to go sledging in, if that’s any sort of indication.

j

Haze

Cheers jamiep/mcj78, I’m hanging on a bit to see if there are any discounts coming up on the Rapha.

Water resistant is fine tbh, it’s warmth and quality I’m interested in. I’d be more likely to stop home on the turbo if it’s proper soggy, if they can keep out a light shower at other times then that’s a bonus.

nickscots1
    Free Member

Use my canoeing gloves, £10. Very warm. Longer wrist length also helps.
    They are not waterproof but if damp stay warm.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/lightweight-neoprene-gloves.html

johnnystorm

Selaskinz lobsters are warm, but last weekend they were hopeless in the rain and after no more than a couple of hours were totally soaked through.

I’ve just got the Galibiers, first outing today around 1 degree and so far so good. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any sealskinz product I’ve had that hasn’t been ultimately underwhelming.

Glacier gloves are good but for daily commuting use they just get too smelly. For weekend use and then drying of time they are ok.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m on my second pair of galibier winter gloves , latest pair have the upgraded palm and inner liner. Hope to get out next week for a quick spin, if they are as good as first pair should be dry and toasty warm

eskay

Bookmarked

mrblobby
    Free Member

Also worth a look at some neoprene gloves like the Endura Nemo ones. A bit marmite as some find them clammy as they are not at all breathable, but they are warm, low bulk, reasonably cheap, and good in cold and wet conditions.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Rapha ones?

Seem to tick all the boxes but I’m struggling to get past the price tag. But then if they’re hard wearing, dry and keep my hands warm then perhaps worth the investment…

40% off right now, down to 50 quid.

belugabob
    Free Member

40% off right now, down to 50 quid.

Not any more – they must be onto us 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

New Shimano S-Phyre ones sound pretty good…

http://road.cc/content/review/235138-shimano-s-phyre-winter-gloves

And next batch of Dissent133 should be available in the next couple of weeks.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Winter roadie gloves’ is closed to new replies.