Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Winter roadie gloves
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I was going to buy some Decathlon 900 gloves but they are out of stock on the web (in my size) and also in the store I was in yesterday (Brighton). They seem a bargain for £20. Any alternatives? I can go more than £20, but only if their performance warrants it.

kilo

Very good gloves for the price I keep a couple of pairs as spares in the house and van

davosaurusrex

Galbier.

cp

The Decathlon 900s are very bulky – funnily enough I was trying some on yesterday. Decathlon also stock Shimano Windstopper Insulated gloves for 30 quid which have a much more tactile feel whilst still feeling pretty warm in the shop. I’ve been dropping hints for xmas

MicArms
    scaredypants

If you’re planning long rides anywhere properly cold, I’d be looking at those bar mitts (As I live on the south coast, it’s track mitts in a colour to match my speedos 8) )

i_like_food

Availability is obviously a problem but the Aldi winter gloves do me fine on cold and wet days. About a tenner I think.

FOG

Bought some Galibiers after hearing of them on here but they are not really warm enough for those with REALLY cold hands. Fine for down to 1 degree but no colder. Those with blood in their veins may find them better.

iainc

If it’s that cold I don’t ride on the road..

onandon
    Free Member

Galiber – I have a pair of just about all of their range.
    Silver reflective ones are good to -7 or more but a bit sweaty above about +3

Their leather One are surprisingly awesome from +10 to about 2

mikey74
    Free Member

How do those Galibier size up?

Kryton57

Another for Galibier. Size up as youd expect, they arent “odd”.

headfirst
    Free Member

Was wearing my leather galibiers walking the dogs in the snow, 0 C, today. Hands were toasty warm

rmacattack
    Free Member

pearl izumi do some good cold weather gloves. i cant remember the model i have but it kept the hands warm and dry down to zero.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My Aldi lobster claws weren’t warm enough today. Can anyone vouch for something warmer??

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The cheap Aldi’s for me every day.

plus-one

Planet x lobster gloves .. -7 windchill on yesterday’s 4hr road ride hands fine ..

aP
    Free Member

Layer up. Thin liners, windproof lightly insulated fingered gloves. If it gets really cold put some lobsters on.
    Or get pogies.

Jase
    Free Member

Another vote for px lobster, warmest gloves I’ve ever used

Got mine for £8, think there more at moment as waiting to get some for my daughter

JAG

I have some Sealskin Lobster gloves.

First time I’ve worn them today. It snowed heavily last night and all day today. It was 0 Celsius and my hands were too warm! Slightly sweaty!

Very pleased with them 😀

CraigW
    Free Member

Bar Mitts and Aldi winter gloves today. It was pretty chilly this morning, -6.3C (actual temperature, not silly windchill numbers).

lazybike
    Free Member

I wear my winter motorbike gloves and silk inner’s if it’s really cold.

joemmo
    Free Member

It can be worth trying a thin liner glove to get a bit of extra insulation if your regular gloves aren’t warm enough. Various choices in silk, Merino and synthetics but make sure they are thin and snug fitting.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dissent 133 layered system.

fatmax

Sealskin lobsters here too, toasty!

yohandsome
    Free Member

Mavic Aksium can be had for around 30 euro and so far has handled temps around 0 just fine given that I’ve kept the rest of my body warm! Quite good dexterity. That said, the Planet X Lobster at 15 pounds seem like a warmer option!

jonba
    Free Member

Get them a bit big and a set of liners.

Also long cuffs.

Spare set helps too. If you have space!

My current go to are altura night vision. Work well. Not tested extensively against others.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Another vote for Pearl Izumi gloves. I have an older version of these and they are still going strong after a good six years of use. I regularly go night riding in the winter months in well below zero conditions and I never get cold hands while wearing these bad boys. Even used them boarding once in the Alps after I forgot to pack my Burton gloves.

onandon
    Free Member

I have a pair of these but they were out done by the galibers. Mostly on fit but the Izumis have huge gel pads which give me numb hands.

Like saddles, gloves are a totally personal preference.

weeksy

Latex mechanicy type gloves make a massive difference.

chaos

I usually keep a pair of XL Buffalo Mitts in the bag ready to go over other gloves just in case it’s colder or more wind-chill than expected. They fold up smaller than you’d think so not too bulky to carry.

Mitts

avdave2

Latex mechanicy type gloves make a massive difference

I found them very effective on a recent ride, worth putting a second pair in your pocket if you are going to have a cafe stop as they’ll be pretty wet wnd cold when you come to put them back on.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Another vote for Pearl Izumi. All the PI gloves I’ve owned over the years have been excellent. For shoulder season Cyclones and some version of the above for when it’s properly cold.

I picked up a cheap pair of Endura Equipe Thermo which are currently road riding windproof of choice and are a really good fit and construction.

Can’t beat pricing on the Galibiers though – I’m in for some of those next time (their tops look amazing value as well – anyone got any?)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Gore Power windstoppers are great (I bought a second pair) down to around -1°C, and then wear them with the gore liner for lower temps.

Only problem is they seem to be out of stock everywhere apart from the gore website, so maybe discontinued?

lunge

their tops look amazing value as well – anyone got any?

Galibier tops are awesome, best fitting top I own. I have a couple on my Xmas list!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

How are you finding them?
    I’ve pre-ordered a set and they’re due some time in January but have no idea what they’re going to be like.

avdave2

It looks a good system but by god I have enough trouble deciding what to wear now before going out on a ride without adding another hour of wondering which of an infinite number of glove combinations to wear! 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Very good. Last couple of winters I used a Craft lobster outer over the DeFeet gloves and was looking for something to replace that and these fit the bill. Did 3 hours in a blizzard on Friday and my fingers were fine in them. Plenty of feel for the bars and working Di2. Easy to get on and off too (much prefer to an attached liner.) Like the hook thing to do them up.

It looks a good system but by god I have enough trouble deciding what to wear now before going out on a ride without adding another hour of wondering which of an infinite number of glove combinations to wear!

Re this, it’s not a major faff to pause half an hour into the ride to remove or add a layer if you don’t get it quite right from the off. Not so easy if your gloves aren’t layered. All the layers are easy to shove into a jersey pocket.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Re this, it’s not a major faff to pause half an hour into the ride to remove or add a layer if you don’t get it quite right from the off

Indeed its not – in winter conditions i’m stopping every half hour to water the trees anyway 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

These are the best I’ve ever used by far:

https://www.marmot.com/xt-glove/16260.html

Got from Go Outdoors. Not cheap, but brilliant. Some kind of tough synthetic leather type thing on the palms and fingers, and microfleece bonded to the inside. Single layer, so no slippy slimy feeling. I bought them as normal gloves but they are fantastic for cycling. Mine are a little large, I’d go a size down for cycling.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Winter roadie gloves’ is closed to new replies.