Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Winter road frame – suggestions?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

I know we’re (hopefully) through the worst of the weather now, but my winter frame is trashed and needs replaced. I’m looking for something with relatively racey geo, but also with space for at least 25mm tyres (ideally 28mm) and guard mounts. No particular preference between alloy or steel (no carbon, though), but bonus points if it has traditional tube shapes and a raw finish. Something like a Cinelli Mash:

Also worth noting that I’m 6’5, so needs to be available in at least a 62.

Does such a frame exist, without going custom (which I can’t afford)? Any suggestions much appreciated!

MoreCashThanDash

Steel Ribble? Wrong finish though

jeroenfl
    Free Member

you’ll find loads of steel roadies on ebay and i think the hype is almost over so you should be able to get good stuff for cheap

That said, specialized have the awol. Or you could look at a hybrid and put drop bars on it (or not – i have, bmc ac01)

I have a Gazelle steel tour de l’avenir with Sturmey 3spd on 28mm’s, perfect for winter when not too hilly. Got it real cheap with mud guards and built my first wheel round the old sturmey.

Surly and intec do cheaper new frames (bike24.com)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Stock answer, something from Kinesis.

crazybaboon

I’ve got a kinesis tk2 frame and forks size 63cm I could part with

kcr
    Free Member

Kinesis Pro 6 is another option (although it has a carbon fork).
    What trashed your existing frame? I personally wouldn’t choose steel for a workhorse that has to take the worst of winter.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Moda Ti Nocturne

mrblobby
    Free Member

DeRosa Milanino Training? They do an XL.

De Rosa Milanino Training road bike – review

ashfanman
    Free Member

What trashed your existing frame?

A crash. I hit a patch of black ice while training and on the way down my knee whacked into one of the bidons, ripping the cage and bosses out of the frame. Left a fairly decent hole, which is too large for any remedial action. Currently got the cage held on with zip ties, which is slightly ridiculous.

I was thinking about a Kinesis 4S or T2. Not exactly what I’m looking for aesthetically, but hear they ride well, which is obviously more important. Isn’t the Pro 6 a CX frame? Assume the geo would be a tad relaxed?

Why wouldn’t you choose steel for a winter bike? A few clubmates only have steel framed bikes and seem to ride them year round okay?

ashfanman
    Free Member

DeRosa Milanino Training? They do an XL.

Ooh. Now that is pretty.

Looking at the geo, the XL might be a bit small though – top tube is ‘only’ 57.5cm. No stack/reach measurements, however, and the seat tube is apparently “XLcm”. Helpful 😀

funkrodent

Kinesis T2 rider here. 6’4″. Racy geo, light, great tyre clearance. Takes guards and a rack if you want one. Fantastic piece of kit. Also worth looking at the Ribble 7005.

Why wouldn’t you choose steel for a winter bike? A few clubmates only have steel framed bikes and seem to ride them year round okay?

Put simply, winter = lots of water, combined with salt on roads. Steel corrodes, aluminium doesn’t

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you do find the stack and reach measurements for the Milanino then do let me know! May be worth a call to the U.K. distributor if you’re interested. Is a pretty frame and I did consider one last autumn but revamped my current bike instead.

I was looking for a low/long racey geo too and pretty much gave up on the guard mounts and had decided to go with some PDW full fenders instead that don’t need proper mounts. Opens the choice up quite a bit. The Ritchey was quite tempting as the geometry was spot on.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Surly Pacer; pretty cheap and comes in a size 62cm. If it’s anything like the Crosscheck I had, then it’ll ride like a wet noodle. But it’s cheap.

Or get a Condor 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Put simply, winter = lots of water, combined with salt on roads. Steel corrodes, aluminium doesn’t

Steel corrodes very very slowly. Aluminum corrodes far faster. Especially once you chip, crack or scrape any coatings. Then stick steel bolts into any threaded holes and douse it with salty water…..

oldejeans
    Free Member

I found cracks in my Flyer last night 😐

so I’m in a similar position.

what’s wrong with the Cinelli? I’m considering it

ashfanman
    Free Member

Or get a Condor

That is lovely. (Save for the silver seatpost 😉 ) What model is it?

what’s wrong with the Cinelli?

SS dropouts. I’m looking for geared. Also no guard mounts, although I could probably live without those. Pity – it’s gorgeous, has tons of clearance and comes in XXL.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Winter road frame – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.