Winter road footwear

Home Forum Bike Forum Winter road footwear

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Winter road footwear
  • Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Normal shoes & overshoes for me, mainly cause I can’t afford two pairs of road shoes and two pairs of mtb shoes!

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Overshoes for me. In fact, I’ve been known to wear 2 pairs if the weather is particularly bleak.

TiRed

Shoes and over shoes, followed by Sidi winter boots. I wear thick long wool socks in winter to pad out the boots.

In winter then its the winter bike with MW80 SPD boots.

If its just cold then thermal overshoes and normal Sidi road shoes on the summer bike.

fasthaggis

Bought a pair in the spring sales .

brakes

I think specific shoes will always be a better choice.
    I’ve never been inclined to spend money on winter shoes, but think I will this year as my normal shoes get ruined over winter with the get wet/ dry on radiator cycles I put them through every week.
    I’ve not had overshoes that lasted a winter either so they’re probably not a cost effective choice.

Premier Icon DaveRambo
    Subscriber

Last winter I used my normal shoes plus overshoes.

This winter I need to do something else as my feet got cold.

I will either put SPD’s on and use my MTB winter boots, buy some winter road shoes or more likely ride off road when the weather is crap and ride on road with normal shoes when it’s nice.

trail_rat

buy mtb winter boots

stick SPDs on the road bike

wear mtb winter boots on and offroad.

if its particularly cold and wet or windy i stick overshoes on over the wintershoes.

rusty trowel

Normal shoes with vents taped up, Belgian booties and then shoe covers over them…Still get cold feet though 🙁

bluebird

What’s the general consensus on the best solution for winter footwear on the road?

regular road shoes with waterproof overshoes, eg Endura Road overshoe, or
    proper winter road shoes, eg Shimano RW80, or
    or winter shoes and overshoes

Thanks

mattsccm

Going for trail rats idea .Winter road for me means the back roads which are muddy. add big 37mm tyres and winter riding is a rougher sport.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

if on the road bike, then road shoes and oversoes – toasty

if on the cross bike, then thick socks and mtb boots (defrosters) – toasty

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

I’ve never been inclined to spend money on winter shoes, but think I will this year as my normal shoes

Once you do, you’ll wonder why on earth you didn’t try this any earlier!

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Shimano RW80+ Merino socks.
    Toasty.

reggiegasket

+1 Northwave Artics (with Spesh footbeds)

thomthumb

spds seem to be much colder than road cleats though. big lumps of metal. My feet have always been fine in thick socks normal shoes and neoprene over shoes.

brakes

I use MTB shoes and pedals on the road anyway…
    shame it’s not a good time to buy winter shoes…

Premier Icon FOG
    Subscriber

I actually put spds back on my mtb and wear winter boots as I have not solved the flat pedal/warm feet conundrum and do the same with the road bike [put spds on not flats!]
    While on this subject, anybody tried overshoes with flats? I appreciate the pins would probably rip the bit under the shoe but are there any overshoes that fasten to avoid passing under the shoe?

Premier Icon jeffl
    Subscriber

Normal shoes, which have a gortex inner, with merino socks and some cheap neoprene overshoes.

Commuted in twice a week last winter, feet didn’t get cold but the 3/4 length shorts did mean my lower legs felt the nip until up to speed.

monkeychild

After years of suffering I’ve bitten the bullet and bought some NW Celcius Artics. I am looking forward to warm feet!!

Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

got some diadora winter boots from Merlin last year and they have been a god send, even wear them with some overshoes when it’s really wet.

I find that overshoes with normal road shoes let water in.

Winter boots FTW IMHO

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Winter road footwear’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top