Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Build or buy a winter Road Bike…?
  • Kryton57

How “good” are those offers from Ribble/Merlin/ etc that would get a winter bike with Tiagra for around £700, versus buying a sale frame and parts and building one up my self?

Forget the price point/value issue for a minute, I’m wondering how good those frames really are?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Please don’t buy carbon if its that much, heavy flexy and naff, for sub 1k much better off with an alloy trek or a specialized allez.

I think an allez at any equivalent price would be better.

zangolin
    Free Member

Very good. On about my 5th Ribble alloy winter frames – they were so cheap I went through a phase of buying a new one each winter – just for the sake of a new frame. Self build would be my choice maybe a little more expensive but less compromise with having particular stuff you don’t want on a complete build.

stufive
    Free Member

Ive fuji Roubaix 3 that was about that price its been a great winter bike for three years now

mooman
    Free Member

zangolin – Member

Very good. On about my 5th Ribble alloy winter frames – they were so cheap I went through a phase of buying a new one each winter – just for the sake of a new frame. Self build would be my choice maybe a little more expensive but less compromise with having particular stuff you don’t want on a complete build.

I got a Ragley Cragvale – which looks exactly like a rebadged Ribble alloy winter frame.
    Superb winter/training bike.
    Full 105 and rs10 wheels with proper mudguards .. weighs in at a proper training weight of 22.5lb
    Super and comfy too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Build or buy a winter Road Bike…?’ is closed to new replies.